Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Worried.
Breezy 09:32 PM 03-29-2012
My neighbor flagged me down on my way to work this evening to tell me that there has been someone trying to break into her home very very recently. This person has been staking out our homes in a truck and leaving behind packs of chewing tobacco (seven to be exact) so it seems these stake outs have been quite lengthy.

Not only am I worried as a mother and homeowner but also as a woman home with daycare kids and my own kid alone all day. This person has gone as far as unscrewing lights around my neighbors home.

Should I tell my DCPs? Is there anything I can do to help with my worry? Any advice is appreciated.
Michael 12:47 AM 03-30-2012
First thing I would do is call the police and enquire if your neighbor has been filing a report and if the police are collecting evidence. I would also keep the outside lights on at night and make sure the police are doing patrols during the day and night.

I think your neighbor is telling you so that you also keep an eye out. Film/video anyone and anything that is out of the ordinary in the area. Did she tell you from where this person is staking out her home? Does she think it is someone that is particular to them?

After finding out the facts I would then notify the parents of the situation and tell them what you/police/neighbors are doing to catch this person. Your parents may even know something or saw someone that got their attention. They will also be on the lookout.

Do you have a dog or protection?
MizzCheryl 03:00 AM 03-30-2012
Thats scary. You should check with the police like Michael said. Sounds like some long stake outs. Do you keep your doors locked when the daycare is open?
Kaddidle Care 04:36 AM 03-30-2012
Also... start writing down descriptions of unusual vehicles and license plate numbers (if you can get them). You'd think they could get some prints off those chewing tobacco packages. ??
SunshineMama 05:02 AM 03-30-2012
All of the above!

Sometimes if you file a complaint they will send extra patrol cars around more often. Let them know you are a daycare with littles and they will probably increase their patrol.

Have you thought about what you would do if something happened (robbery) with the daycare kid?
Breezy 08:35 AM 03-30-2012
My husband refuses to keep the back lights on all night because they shine into our room a little. Um hello, really?

We do have 2 big dogs (pitbull and a german shep mix). Anyone staking out my house long enough will realize my dogs are very protective of me and even more so my son. They bark snarl growl, etc at anyone who walks by, drives by, even thinks about doing either (hehe). Even when my DCPs walk up the walk they do that until they hear the voice or see who it is and then relaxes.

We also have a security system and can arm it Stay if we are here, Night while sleeping, or Away while away. It also has a duress code so if someone were to force their way in and make me disarm it I could use the dureas code and they dispatch police immediately. Police dept is MAYBE 3 minutes from here. So all in all this potential intruder is an idiot.

Also if they stake it out long enough they will see my shep can and will jump that fence (6 foot brick) if needed. What she will do on the other side Im not sure. Probably cower and pee. And hello my husband is in the military. They dont know what kind of special training he has or what weapons we have in the house.

I guess Im not as worried in the light of day. But I have noticed my dogs barking in the middle of the night and growling ans running out into the living room all upset.

I really want to call the police and see whats what but I just didnt know if it was hearsay and they wouldnt speak to me about ot or take me seriously if my property wasnt being messed with as of yet.
Heidi 01:07 PM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
My husband refuses to keep the back lights on all night because they shine into our room a little. Um hello, really?

We do have 2 big dogs (pitbull and a german shep mix). Anyone staking out my house long enough will realize my dogs are very protective of me and even more so my son. They bark snarl growl, etc at anyone who walks by, drives by, even thinks about doing either (hehe). Even when my DCPs walk up the walk they do that until they hear the voice or see who it is and then relaxes.

We also have a security system and can arm it Stay if we are here, Night while sleeping, or Away while away. It also has a duress code so if someone were to force their way in and make me disarm it I could use the dureas code and they dispatch police immediately. Police dept is MAYBE 3 minutes from here. So all in all this potential intruder is an idiot.

Also if they stake it out long enough they will see my shep can and will jump that fence (6 foot brick) if needed. What she will do on the other side Im not sure. Probably cower and pee. And hello my husband is in the military. They dont know what kind of special training he has or what weapons we have in the house.

I guess Im not as worried in the light of day. But I have noticed my dogs barking in the middle of the night and growling ans running out into the living room all upset.

I really want to call the police and see whats what but I just didnt know if it was hearsay and they wouldnt speak to me about ot or take me seriously if my property wasnt being messed with as of yet.
Call the non-emergency number anyway, and ask them if they can swing through a little more often. Just the presence of an extra patrol may be enough to make your neighborhood too inconvenient.
Tags:protection, safety, stalker
Reply Up