Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This just burns me up!
williams2008 07:03 AM 12-05-2012
So i was informed by a dcp this morning that the dcb I have worked so hard towards weaning him off a bottle, still gets one at night cause he wakes up 3 to 4 times a night....He doesn't even want a bottle here, but guess what the same dcb who doesn't suck a pacifier here, yeah he still sucks one of those tooShe gonna say well he doesn't suck one all day....hell i know he don't suck one all day cause he is with me all day I am so furious with them
crazydaycarelady 07:06 AM 12-05-2012
I've had that too. I've had tons of parents who take their kid off the bottle, except at night and in the morning (AKA when they are at home!)
williams2008 07:11 AM 12-05-2012
This just burns me up! Don't expect me to do one thing here and you do a totally different thing at home all because you and your husband is tired of hearing him scream!
countrymom 07:26 AM 12-05-2012
I totally agree with you.
cheerfuldom 07:40 AM 12-05-2012
I wean kids off bottles and pacis here. if i wait for the parents to do it, it would never happen. i have multiple kids that are fine all day without these things, without lovey items and such and supposedly need them every second of the day at home. its a shame that the parents have no coping skills with their kids outside of handing them a blanket, bottle, paci, lovey. I understand that these are appropriate at certain ages but a a four year has no need of all these items all day.....that is what happened recently. i had a girl weaned off all of this stuff well before 2 and mom decide to be a sahm. then couple years later they started coming to my church and bring all of these things for a four year old! once mom say that no other kid in the preschool class was using any of these items, she weaned fast! same thing with potty training, i had this girl trained but mom just got lazy and put her back in pull ups for two more years.
AnneCordelia 07:45 AM 12-05-2012
I have the same issue here with a few of them...but I figure that as long as what I'm doing works HERE then that's all that really matters. My toddlers don't take soothers and they use regular cups with great success from about 18mo+.

Maybe I'd be upset if a toddler was refusing to function here without their soother because they had it at home...I can see that. But, IME, they do fine here without their soother even if they get one at home.
makap 07:51 AM 12-05-2012
Happens a LOT but I don't let it bother me. I just do what I do here and the child's parents can do whatever it is that they do at home. Children are smart and they know they don't get the same things here that they do get at home. I have my rules my and routine here and whatever routine they want to follow at home is their business!
williams2008 07:54 AM 12-05-2012
The dcp is the one who wanted to start all of this, and isn't that defeating the purpose??? You don't want me to give him a bottle, which I am fine with that because he doesn't want one, but you wanna give him one. This dcb has been off the bottle for 2 months at least I thought he was completely off until this morning. Same goes for potty training don't expect me to do it here and you are not doing it at home, but that's just my opinion!
williams2008 07:56 AM 12-05-2012
Well I am all about the parents and the provider working together, and to me this is not working together.
cheerfuldom 08:13 AM 12-05-2012
i understand your frustration. a lot of parents do want their child off these things but are not willing to put in the hard work once kiddo starts crying. i see that over and over
lovemykidstoo 08:46 AM 12-05-2012
I've the same thing so I understand your frustration. I have the one currently that I've talked about with the pullups and how he isn't really going on the potty at home, but is expected to here. Also another dcb that mom said that we're taking the paci away from here, then I find out as soon as she walks in the door she puts it in his mouth. Watched her do that and then the next morning he came in with it. Told her when you're ready to do that for real, let me know and I'll keep it away from him too. He's not going to leave with it and come with it and then expect me to keep it from him during the day.
Holiday Park 08:50 AM 12-05-2012
I had a dcb fully pottu trained, IN UndIES all day at my house about 10 months before he was fullty pt'd in undies at home all because mom/dad wanted him back in a pull up at pick up . They didnt trust he wouldnt have an accident when with them. They kept him in diapers/pull ups and wondered why he kept going in them and kept asking to have one so he could go in it. I had him in undies and gave him no other choice but to go to the bathroom . He activley tried to stay dry and and when he had to go , he would run to the bathroom if he had to, because he was happily willing to. He would cheer and act proud of himself here, with me.
sharlan 09:21 AM 12-05-2012
I had one years ago that was fully potty trained, off the bottle, and off the pacifier. Come Friday night, Mom would take him to Grandma's who immediately put him in a diaper and handed him a bottle and pacifier. This kid was over 3. Mondays were always so much fun, NOT!
makap 11:00 AM 12-05-2012
Originally Posted by williams2008:
So i was informed by a dcp this morning that the dcb I have worked so hard towards weaning him off a bottle, still gets one at night cause he wakes up 3 to 4 times a night....He doesn't even want a bottle here, but guess what the same dcb who doesn't suck a pacifier here, yeah he still sucks one of those tooShe gonna say well he doesn't suck one all day....hell i know he don't suck one all day cause he is with me all day I am so furious with them
The reason he wakes up 3-4 times a night is because he knows he is going to get one. He does not even want one when with you because he knows he ain't getting one. Its mom's problem, she is the one up all night with him.

Is it affecting your days? Is the little guy cranky because he is tired? Does he cry for these?

If it is affecting your days with the child because he is screaming for it or not able to function because he is tired from being up so many times at night, then I would have a serious discussion with the parents.

It used to p**s me off too but I have learned that as long as what they do at home with their kids is not affecting how they behave during the day and they are happy when they are with me and their daytime friends I really do not care what they do at home! I do the hard work of daytime weaning for me and the kids are fine with it.

I just had one move away who was almost 3 years old. He was with me from the time he was 4 months old. Of course as a baby I would give it to him but as soon as he started walking I would put it in his cubby when he arrived in the morning. He never got it at all during the day not even for naps. The first thing parents would do is pop it in his mouth the second they came in the door. Even before putting on the kids shoes and coat!

I have another with me now who is almost 2. I took his away from him when he was 11 months old because he was throwing it out of the pnp. I told mom that he never was getting it here again during the day and she was fine with it. I don't play fetch the soother! I just found out a few months ago that he still gets it at home. In fact he goes to bed with several of them!

Another dcg is 15 months old. I don't do bottles once they are eating well and drinking from sippy cups. First thing she gets is a bottle for the ride home. She sees mom or dad from the window and starts screaming for it before they are even in the house. This little girl is also up all night several times for a "bottle"

All of these little ones have been and are super great here during the day and do not need these things at all they are so busy playing with their friends and doing fun things.
wahmof3 11:14 AM 12-05-2012

I have this family too!!

DCK will be 2 this month. I seldom gave him a bottle here, especially after he inverted the nipple and stuffed it with cheerios.

So yeah DCK doesn't get a bottle while here.

Monday morning:

DCD comes in "we are trying to break him of the bottle"

Me: ok no problem

DCD: Well we put a bottle in the bag......just in case he is miserable.

Me: ok he will be just fine (smile)

DCD leaves.

I open his bag to get out his things I need (they send his milk daily- not sure why I tell them I provide milk) and yep there is a bottle.

Ok I would safely assume the bottle is clean and had planned on just leaving it in the bag.

Um no its not. It is 1/4 filled and warm, like DCK has been drinking it all morning!!!!

I just did one of these:
williams2008 11:18 AM 12-05-2012
Originally Posted by Achelea:
The reason he wakes up 3-4 times a night is because he knows he is going to get one. He does not even want one when with you because he knows he ain't getting one. Its mom's problem, she is the one up all night with him.

Is it affecting your days? Is the little guy cranky because he is tired? Does he cry for these?

If it is affecting your days with the child because he is screaming for it or not able to function because he is tired from being up so many times at night, then I would have a serious discussion with the parents.

It used to p**s me off too but I have learned that as long as what they do at home with their kids is not affecting how they behave during the day and they are happy when they are with me and their daytime friends I really do not care what they do at home! I do the hard work of daytime weaning for me and the kids are fine with it.

I just had one move away who was almost 3 years old. He was with me from the time he was 4 months old. Of course as a baby I would give it to him but as soon as he started walking I would put it in his cubby when he arrived in the morning. He never got it at all during the day not even for naps. The first thing parents would do is pop it in his mouth the second they came in the door. Even before putting on the kids shoes and coat!

I have another with me now who is almost 2. I took his away from him when he was 11 months old because he was throwing it out of the pnp. I told mom that he never was getting it here again during the day and she was fine with it. I don't play fetch the soother! I just found out a few months ago that he still gets it at home. In fact he goes to bed with several of them!

Another dcg is 15 months old. I don't do bottles once they are eating well and drinking from sippy cups. First thing she gets is a bottle for the ride home. She sees mom or dad from the window and starts screaming for it before they are even in the house. This little girl is also up all night several times for a "bottle"

All of these little ones have been and are super great here during the day and do not need these things at all they are so busy playing with their friends and doing fun things.
No he is doing great here without it, and I guess you have a point mom is the one who is up with him at night!
Reply Up