Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT-Toddler Calloused Feet
EchoMom 07:31 PM 06-06-2013
Is it bad that my 21 month old is developing callouses around the rim of his heel?

I almost never have him wear shoes when he's outside playing (nor any of the daycare kids). I think it's good for them to be barefoot because I think they're more sure footed and stumble less. I think it's good for them to feel the grass on their feet and shoes are awful when we're playing in the water or sand.

But we have a large paver patio where they play with the ride on toys and push toys, as well as a very large grassy yard and mulch area (some have seen the setup on my site). I think that all this walking on the paver patio is roughing up my DS's feet too much and causing the callouses.

My own feet are always tough, rough and calloused and I have to work on it all the time. My mom's feet are horribly calloused. My husband though had freakishly baby soft feet even as an adult man (after being married to me for 5 years, he's gone barefoot more and gotten a bit of callousing too).

Anyway, is it bad for my toddler DS to develop callouses? Is it bad if the DCK toddlers do? Or is it just normal and just par for the course that when you use your body it won't be pristine anymore, like bruises and scrapes.

I don't know if I'm a bad mom for letting my almost 2 year old get callouses!
Reply Up