Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Some Advice On Potential Daycare Family
KristinsHomeCC 07:20 AM 09-22-2015
Hello!

So I have this poential family wanting to start ASAP. Boys 2m and 14m. 2 full days a week, schedule is perfect as it shares the week with another PT DCK.

2 months old - SCARY. Saw the recent post about a fellow provider losing an infant to SIDS. I would need years of therapy if that happened to me. Absolutely cannot even imagine. I also have a 8 month old starting Monday.

DCM just sent me a text asking specifics about nap schedule. Our nap time is from 12-2 on a good day. She wants her 14m to be put down from 9-11 and 2-4. That means no small break for me. I would always have a DCK up. Which in my experiencee always leads to shorter naps for those who are sleeping. I havent started the 8m old yet and have never had a DCK under 1.

So what would you do? I thought maybe if the 8m and the new 14m can both sleep at the same time during both naps it could work but Im not sure.
Blackcat31 07:30 AM 09-22-2015
Originally Posted by KristinsHomeCC:
Hello!

So I have this poential family wanting to start ASAP. Boys 2m and 14m. 2 full days a week, schedule is perfect as it shares the week with another PT DCK.

2 months old - SCARY. Saw the recent post about a fellow provider losing an infant to SIDS. I would need years of therapy if that happened to me. Absolutely cannot even imagine. I also have a 8 month old starting Monday.

DCM just sent me a text asking specifics about nap schedule. Our nap time is from 12-2 on a good day. She wants her 14m to be put down from 9-11 and 2-4. That means no small break for me. I would always have a DCK up. Which in my experiencee always leads to shorter naps for those who are sleeping. I havent started the 8m old yet and have never had a DCK under 1.

So what would you do? I thought maybe if the 8m and the new 14m can both sleep at the same time during both naps it could work but Im not sure.
Here infants (under 12 months) sleep on whatever schedule they need.

Kids older than 12 months sleep according to MY daily routine. I personally would not give a 14 month old 2 naps. I would be weaning him off napping twice daily.
NeedaVaca 07:30 AM 09-22-2015
Nope, I don't change my schedule for anyone! If your schedule doesn't work for her it's not a good fit. Mom hasn't even started and is trying to tell you how to run your business.
jenboo 07:30 AM 09-22-2015
Hello!

I've always done afternoon nap from 1-3ish.
With morning nappers, they slept 9-10ish then 1-3.
mommyneedsadayoff 07:34 AM 09-22-2015
I take little ones (youngest was 6 weeks) and the only thing you can do is follow your safe sleep practices and check on them frequently at naps. I usually have the young ones sleep right out int he main room till about 4 mobths and then move them to a nap room and monitor frequently. If you are too nervous to do it, though, it is perfectly okay to say no and not take them! You need to do what is best for you and what is most comfortable!

The first thing regarding naps is that mom does not get a say in it. Your house and you will find the nap situtaion that works for you. At 14 months, you could transition to one nap, but if you want to keep the two for a while longer, I would do 9-10:30 and 1-3 or something similar. The 8 month old could follow a similar nap schedule as well, which will give you more hands on time with the 2 month old.

Bottom line, it is your daycare and mom does not get to interfere in that. Babies need different things when at home versus daycare. They get tired more quickly, sometimes sleep longer or shorter than at home, ect. That means you and ONLY you will know what is best for baby while in your care!
mommyneedsadayoff 07:42 AM 09-22-2015
BTW, I have this situtaion currently and didn't even realize it till mom left today. She said baby is sleeping later in the morning, so she told me this morning she wants to try to get it so she comes to get dcg before her second nap and I thought that sounded fine. After she left, though, I realized that meant dcg will be awake during everyone else's nap and then picked up so mom can take her home to put her down at 3 for her second nap. The baby is almost 8 months and mom basically wants her to be awake from 11:30-2:30 before she comes to get her. Nope! I will do what baby needs and if it works out that way, great, but I will not keep baby awake for her sake and baby will begin to follow the schedule we have for everyone else here. I will have to make it clear to mom that I do not do individual nap schedules, The goal when I get new kids is to work with their current schedule and transition to the rest of the group schedule. Again, parents don't think about the whole group, they think about their child and what is best for them when they get home at night.
KristinsHomeCC 07:58 AM 09-22-2015
Yep! Exactly what I thought. I responded with how if we could tweek the hours a little bit where he would be sleeping for an hour or so in the a.m. and then down with the rest if push theirs back to 1230.

As far as the newborn goes, Ill just leave it up to the Universe. If she can work with me on the naps, it doesnt hurt to give it a shot!
childcaremom 08:06 AM 09-22-2015
PT.... it will be really hard to get them on your schedule if mom isn't working to make changes at home.

However, I would just be consistent right from the getgo with the 14 m. I would see how he is the first 2 weeks he is there and try him on 1 hr in the morning and then down with the rest of the group.

Honestly.... I would have a frank chat with mom and let her know that while you understand that his current schedule is different from yours, that in order to successfully transition into your daycare he will need to follow the group sched which is ..... I would put a time frame on when you expect this to be accomplished by (say a month). I had a mom try to tell me when to let her little guy sleep. Let's just say that it wasn't the only thing she tried to tell me how to do and they are no longer clients.

Your daycare = your rules. Group care, group care, group care.
Laurel 08:19 AM 09-22-2015
Hello!

I would gently tell her how you have to operate. Explain that you can't care for a group when each child in it has different nap schedules. They all have to be on the same one. I wouldn't hesitate to tell her that you need a break as well so there has to be some time when they are all sleeping. Any reasonable person should be able to see that. There is no center that is going to let her dictate specific nap times.

I would take the attitude that she is well meaning and just doesn't get group care yet and then explain it to her. If she insists otherwise, then she isn't the right fit.

Laurel
Ariana 10:28 AM 09-22-2015
As someone who does exclusively part-time care it will be very difficult if mom is not on board with your schedule at home. Make sure she is ok with changing her schedule at home too or you will never get the child to adjust properly.
littletots 10:33 AM 09-22-2015
I also nap under 1 on their schedule and over 1 yr 12-2p. I don't take under 15months. Heehee
KristinsHomeCC 10:03 AM 09-23-2015
Thanks ladies. I had a small talk with her about my schedule and if we could tweek the times a bit. Never heard back from her. Oh well glad it happened before taking them in!
Reply Up