Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>One Nap? or Two?
daycare 09:42 AM 09-06-2011
I have deicded to take on a 15month old. I usually only take 2-5 (not in school) but I have had 3 full time spots open for months on end so I decided to see how I can work this in. It has been years since I have had a child under the age of 2.

I was reading the childs paper work and the parent wrote down that the child took one 45 min nap and then goes to bed around 9pm and wakes around 7am?

I looked online at what would be the suggested amount of sleep for a child this age, but I am just wondering how many of you have a child that around this age that can make it through the day on so little sleep? Or am I wrong?
nannyde 09:45 AM 09-06-2011
He would have two naps here every day. I would put him down for about 1.5 in the morning and 2.5 in the p.m.
JenNJ 09:47 AM 09-06-2011
I transition all my kids to one nap beginning at 12 months. By 15 months, I have them down to one, but it generally only takes about 2 weeks. I make a plan with the parents so they know what is going on.
daycare 09:50 AM 09-06-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
He would have two naps here every day. I would put him down for about 1.5 in the morning and 2.5 in the p.m.
See this is how my other child was that I had here. Morning nap around 9:30am and then again at 1:00. This is what I thought was normal and reason I thought ok I can do this again and still teach. It worked last time. But I guess I will have to see what I can do.

Nan- would you transistion this child to two naps?
angelpayne24 11:06 AM 09-06-2011
I have a 14 month old right now. He naps from 10:30am-11:30am and then again from 2pm-3pm. He is a happy healthy little boy all day!
daycare 11:20 AM 09-06-2011
Originally Posted by angelpayne24:
I have a 14 month old right now. He naps from 10:30am-11:30am and then again from 2pm-3pm. He is a happy healthy little boy all day!
thanks for the response.
I went with my gut and laid him down at 9:45, within 3min out like a light. Bad part is that he is still out snoring...UGH....

I may have to wake him up to eat lunch here in a few....
nannyde 11:31 AM 09-06-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
See this is how my other child was that I had here. Morning nap around 9:30am and then again at 1:00. This is what I thought was normal and reason I thought ok I can do this again and still teach. It worked last time. But I guess I will have to see what I can do.

Nan- would you transistion this child to two naps?
I wouldn't transition. I would just do it.

What time does he get there in the morning?
Live and Learn 11:31 AM 09-06-2011
No transition .

9 am to 11am
1pm to 3pm

Until age 2
daycare 11:36 AM 09-06-2011
I wouldn't transition. I would just do it.

What time does he get there in the morning?
I'm on my phone so bare with me

Child arrives at 8:30 just in time for breakfast and leaves at 7:00pm
daycare 11:37 AM 09-06-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
No transition .

9 am to 11am
1pm to 3pm

Until age 2
This was the exact schedule I had the little girl on when she was in my care.
I will try to get this little guy adjusted to the same thing
nannyde 12:02 PM 09-06-2011
I'm on my phone so bare with me

Child arrives at 8:30 just in time for breakfast and leaves at 7:00pm
I wouldn't do hours like that but... if I did:

I probably would do three naps with that schedule. I would lay him down from 9-10 then again from 1-3ish and then again from 6-7

Basically a three hour cycle. If the parents are picking him up that late you have a high risk of them putting him to bed right after he gets home if he doesn't get an evening nap too.

I wouldn't do this schedule because it would be a very rare parent that would keep the kid up until 11 or so to make sure they had a lot of face time with them. My philosophy is that kids need to have a minimum of five hours of AWAKE time with their parents NOT counting travel time.

If they are picking him up at seven there's a very high risk that they are going home and putting him to bed very soon. That could lead to a LOT of parent behavior problems and kid behavior problems. I would charge for a day and evening slot with those hours and I would do serious interviewing to find out the schedule the kid was on at home. If it was apparent that the kid really only had face time in the morning and an early bedtime at night... I personally wouldn't be a part of it.

If they are keeping him up till ten thirty... eleven... then he would need to finish his night sleep right when he got there. I would have him eat breakfast at home and then straight to bed when he got there to finish his night.

Are they doing ANY meals with him?
Crazy8 12:24 PM 09-06-2011
I've had babies who go down to 1 nap at 12 months and babies who still like their 2 naps a day at 2 years old. If a child has been with me since infancy I generally transition to 1 nap around 15-18 months old. I am a firm believer in the baby giving cues as to when they need to sleep. I don't go just by MY nap schedule and I don't go by just what the parents want.

however, I do not believe one 45min. nap when they are up from 7am to 9pm is enough sleep for a 15 month old. If they were not used to being up and out that early before I'm sure you'll see them needing 2 naps for a while.
daycare 12:41 PM 09-06-2011
I wouldn't do hours like that but... if I did:

I probably would do three naps with that schedule. I would lay him down from 9-10 then again from 1-3ish and then again from 6-7

Basically a three hour cycle. If the parents are picking him up that late you have a high risk of them putting him to bed right after he gets home if he doesn't get an evening nap too.

I wouldn't do this schedule because it would be a very rare parent that would keep the kid up until 11 or so to make sure they had a lot of face time with them. My philosophy is that kids need to have a minimum of five hours of AWAKE time with their parents NOT counting travel time.

If they are picking him up at seven there's a very high risk that they are going home and putting him to bed very soon. That could lead to a LOT of parent behavior problems and kid behavior problems. I would charge for a day and evening slot with those hours and I would do serious interviewing to find out the schedule the kid was on at home. If it was apparent that the kid really only had face time in the morning and an early bedtime at night... I personally wouldn't be a part of it.

If they are keeping him up till ten thirty... eleven... then he would need to finish his night sleep right when he got there. I would have him eat breakfast at home and then straight to bed when he got there to finish his night.

Are they doing ANY meals with him?
It's very sad all of the meals will be t my house from breakfast to dinner. I know that you wouldn't do a schedule like this, but right now I have no choice. I can't seem to fill spots and I am bending with the times to meet what seems to be a normal schedule around here.
I think if I were to do 3 naps the parents would not be able to gt the child to sleep at home.
safechner 12:45 PM 09-06-2011
I have deicded to take on a 15month old. I usually only take 2-5 (not in school) but I have had 3 full time spots open for months on end so I decided to see how I can work this in. It has been years since I have had a child under the age of 2.

I was reading the childs paper work and the parent wrote down that the child took one 45 min nap and then goes to bed around 9pm and wakes around 7am?

I looked online at what would be the suggested amount of sleep for a child this age, but I am just wondering how many of you have a child that around this age that can make it through the day on so little sleep? Or am I wrong?
My dcg was 15 months old and she takes a nap from 12:30pm to 3:30pm. She is perfect happily in here everyday. She wakes up at 6:45am to 7am and she goes to bed at 8pm or 8:30pm at home. She is here with me from 7:30am to 5:30pm.
momma2girls 12:52 PM 09-06-2011
It really depends on when the wake up in the am. I have one little guy here that is 15 months old. Mom first told me there were trying to transition to one nap during the summer(she is a teacher) I replied back to her, if he is tired, he will be laid down here, and I also explained to her, she is letting him sleep in, during the summer. She wakes him up around 6:00 to have him fed, changed, etc. to be here by 7:30 every am. He is generally tired about 1/2 hr. after he comes in every am and sleeps good in the am, and in the afternoon as well!! I think a good age to start is around or a little after 2 yrs. of age.
nannyde 12:56 PM 09-06-2011
I think if I were to do 3 naps the parents would not be able to gt the child to sleep at home.
They would easily be able to do it if they did an evening schedule with him where they had three/four hours of awake and engagement time.

Do you know what time he gets up and when he goes to bed?

How long is the transport time?
daycare 01:04 PM 09-06-2011
They would easily be able to do it if they did an evening schedule with him where they had three/four hours of awake and engagement time.

Do you know what time he gets up and when he goes to bed?

How long is the transport time?
Wake time is between 6:40am and 7am
Transport time is about 5-10min max
They wrote down that the child goes to bed at 8:30-9pm
Which leaves little to no face time.
nannyde 01:21 PM 09-06-2011
Wake time is between 6:40am and 7am
Transport time is about 5-10min max
They wrote down that the child goes to bed at 8:30-9pm
Which leaves little to no face time.
Does he eat at home in the morning? That's a LONG time for a baby to be up and not eat. If he's up at 6:40 and he gets to you at 8:30 that's nearly two hours?

If they already feed him breakfast before he comes then put him straight down as soon as he gets there for the a.m. nap???
daycare 01:27 PM 09-06-2011
Does he eat at home in the morning? That's a LONG time for a baby to be up and not eat. If he's up at 6:40 and he gets to you at 8:30 that's nearly two hours?

If they already feed him breakfast before he comes then put him straight down as soon as he gets there for the a.m. nap???
Today is his first day. I am going to say that by the looks of the way heate this morning he did not eat at home. He ate so much food this morning I was shocked.
I would imagine that they would have given at least some milk but again not sure about that either. It was crazy morning at drop off so I didnt ask if he had eaten prior to his arrival at 8:30am
AnneCordelia 01:30 PM 09-06-2011
I have a bundle of babies here. LOL.

For the summer my DCG, at 14mo, was here until 7pm. She napped from 8-10, 12-2:30 and 5-6. She went to bed at night at 8:30.

Her schedule has since changed. My closing time is now 5:30. School has also started so I have gone to a one nap schedule. I have DCG16mo, DCB12mo, DCB15mo and my own 12moDS all on one nap a day from 11:30-2pm. It took a week or so of adjustment for the babies but they are all doing great on the new routine. If I didn't have the school walk then I would definitely still have them all on two naps a day though.
Tags:nap
Reply Up