Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Ideas - Dcb2 Dumping Toys And Gagging Himself
sahm1225 11:21 AM 01-30-2017
He will dump toys just to dump, not play with them. We have a bin of legos that are his favorite to dump, but we have one of the IKEA bin organizers and he goes through in 2 seconds and tries to dump all the toys! We've had to remove some of the toys because it's too messy if every toy is dumped and the other dcks can't play because of the mess.

Besides limiting toys, what can I do? We sit and show him how to play with toys and he does clean them up (if we sit by him and constantly remind no more toys until he cleans up).

Then gagging himself. Parents are at a loss of what to do. If he gets upset about anything, he will make a sound that sounds like coughing and you hear him Gagging. It's gross and parents already know if it produces vomit, he will get sent home. Ignoring it doesn't work because he does it to the point that I worry he's running out of air!
daycarediva 11:25 AM 01-30-2017
As for the dumping, I would give him something TO dump. His own bucket, and whatever toys you decide to put in it. (I have done bean bags, stuffed toys, and balls) If he wants to dump, he dumps that bucket. Redirect him over and over if need be. Then he cleans it all back up, and can dump it again. He will either love it or get bored really quickly.

As far as the gagging, is he getting attention for it? I would ignore it, or let him sit "Here, sit right here until you feel better"
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 02:15 PM 01-30-2017
Not much advice, just here to say that MY ds2 also does this. Its like he's sees the bins and they MUST be dumped. We're moving into a new house and I had put empty cube bins on the shelf while unpacking... when he saw them he immediately ran over and said "DUMP" and pulled them down, only to find they were empty. Even with consequences, this particular behavior seems to draw him in every time. I've resorted to limiting access to the bins. Following this post for advice as well...
Ariana 03:50 PM 01-30-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
As for the dumping, I would give him something TO dump. His own bucket, and whatever toys you decide to put in it. (I have done bean bags, stuffed toys, and balls) If he wants to dump, he dumps that bucket. Redirect him over and over if need be. Then he cleans it all back up, and can dump it again. He will either love it or get bored really quickly.

As far as the gagging, is he getting attention for it? I would ignore it, or let him sit "Here, sit right here until you feel better"
Agreed! Also hand over hand to pick it up has worked for me as well.

I had a dcg who would cry and gag herself to get her own way. Ignoring helped. One time all the kids had gone upstairs for lunch and I sat with her downstairs waiting for her to finish her crying gagging fit. I said "when you are done crying we will go upstairs to eat". She barfed....i continued to ignore and then she was done. It never happened again!
Unregistered 04:02 AM 01-31-2017
Is he two? If so that is a developmental stage and very typical. Yes, they dump to dump, not play with the contents.

Don't fight it! When I had all two's and under I had to limit the number of pieces out....say like four plates, and a five pieces of play food. Six little people and six animals, etc. I had lots of self contained toys-no pieces!

I had a few Easter buckets (like ice cream buckets) and they loved to fill them up, carry them around, dump them out, re-fill, and on and on!

They loved to put things in the two grocery carts and push that "bin" around
Blackcat31 05:29 AM 01-31-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Is he two? If so that is a developmental stage and very typical. Yes, they dump to dump, not play with the contents.

Don't fight it! When I had all two's and under I had to limit the number of pieces out....say like four plates, and a five pieces of play food. Six little people and six animals, etc. I had lots of self contained toys-no pieces!

I had a few Easter buckets (like ice cream buckets) and they loved to fill them up, carry them around, dump them out, re-fill, and on and on!

They loved to put things in the two grocery carts and push that "bin" around
YES! As much as they love to dump at this age, they love to fill too!

I buy buckets and bags and other "fun" containers whenever I find a good deal. I just toss them in my toddler room and they LOVE filling the up with stuff. I've noticed the older they get (closer to moving to preschool room) they start sorting and organizing the things they choose to fill their containers with.

I have tons of loose parts....2 doz. rubber ducks, 100+ little people, dozens of small wood blocks, bunches of plastic chains or links, big plastic beads, rubber/plastic animals..... ALL of things that are easily sorted and used to fill.

Of course they dump too but like I said, they love to fill just as much! Give them the opportunity to do so (as it IS a learning activity) rather than make it a negative behavior.

It's only negative to us (generally) because we want things to appear neat and tidy....
Pestle 06:32 AM 01-31-2017
I had a kid who was hell-bent on breaking every toy he could get ahold of. He would rarely settle down to play with anything for any length of time--just grab it, turn it over in his hands, then check to see if it could be destroyed via biting, bending, or throwing onto the floor. I had to take away all of my activities with small manipulatives, because they'd just get scattered.

Ultimately I terminated care because this was one part of a host of issues, but as far as the scattering went, I did have luck putting together a sensory bin containing non-breakable objects and yogurt/Cool Whip tubs to sort them into. He didn't spend all day with it, of course, and the problem is that nothing held his interest unless he was dismantling it. So much for art, outdoor time, meals. . . .
Tags:bad behavior, gagging oneself, tantrum, terrible 2's
Reply Up