Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>where are all the kids?
Mister Sir Husband 11:57 AM 08-21-2014
So I can remember going to the park as a kid, and there would be no less than 60 other kids there.. running, playing kickball, swinging, etc. I'm at a park now and for the past hour there's only been 3 kids here.. and they are all with me. It's just kinda sad.
Blackcat31 12:04 PM 08-21-2014
They're all at home watching TV or paying video games.
Mister Sir Husband 12:08 PM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
They're all at home watching TV or paying video games.
Exactly... And prolly with a bag of Doritos and a soda. Then everyone gets all shocked & confused when all these children are classified as obese.
Mister Sir Husband 12:15 PM 08-21-2014
Gives me an idea though.. with all the trouble I'm having getting kids into my program, I should just quit and turn in my license. I could install a 4ft tv set, video game console, and big puffy chairs. I'd charge by the hour and for an extra fee I'd include chips, soda and sugary candy. I'd make enough to retire in 10 years..
Blackcat31 12:20 PM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
Gives me an idea though.. with all the trouble I'm having getting kids into my program, I should just quit and turn in my license. I could install a 4ft tv set, video game console, and big puffy chairs. I'd charge by the hour and for an extra fee I'd include chips, soda and sugary candy. I'd make enough to retire in 10 years..
But you can't advertise that.

Parents want YOU to do the organic foods, education, teaching manners and responsibility as well as give them ALL the tools they will need for the future because they don't want to do that themselves.

Then.....once the kids are enrolled, you can turn on the TV, whip out the McD's and just lay around all day.

Tell the kids, they can't tell mom/dad and they will be running in your door every morning and screaming at pick up to not have to leave every day.

The parents will be none the wiser...

Until the Kindy teacher starts calling....

.........but I don't take SA kids so not MY issue anymore...
Kabob 02:08 PM 08-21-2014
Eh...I don't mind the lack of kids at playgrounds...most seem to lack manners anyway. For instance, my ds asks to stop at every playground he sees. We stopped at one where there was a 3ish and 5ish year old playing while their mom read. As soon as ds stepped on that playground, the 3 yo ran up to ds and started kicking him in the shins while shouting "Ya wanna fight?" Ds was baffled and the mom didn't even look up so I stepped in and told him sternly that it is not ok to kick and ds does not want to fight. The 3 yo went crying to mommy who mumbled "Poor baby" and back he went to being a pest. Less kids means less drama...ds can play with the dck here that follow my rules. Dh even has noticed the weird way kids play now...at another playground, dh overheard a bunch of moms complaining about how violent games and movies are with guns while their children ran around with toy guns "killing" each other...made dh laugh.
Mister Sir Husband 02:29 PM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by Kabob:
Eh...I don't mind the lack of kids at playgrounds...most seem to lack manners anyway. For instance, my ds asks to stop at every playground he sees. We stopped at one where there was a 3ish and 5ish year old playing while their mom read. As soon as ds stepped on that playground, the 3 yo ran up to ds and started kicking him in the shins while shouting "Ya wanna fight?" Ds was baffled and the mom didn't even look up so I stepped in and told him sternly that it is not ok to kick and ds does not want to fight. The 3 yo went crying to mommy who mumbled "Poor baby" and back he went to being a pest. Less kids means less drama...ds can play with the dck here that follow my rules. Dh even has noticed the weird way kids play now...at another playground, dh overheard a bunch of moms complaining about how violent games and movies are with guns while their children ran around with toy guns "killing" each other...made dh laugh.
This is also true.. the lack of rotten, un behaved, little devil kids was actually nice... Had the whole huge park to myself while the rest of the neighborhood sat home eating cheese puffs..
Controlled Chaos 02:48 PM 08-21-2014
This is also true.. the lack of rotten, un behaved, little devil kids was actually nice... Had the whole huge park to myself while the rest of the neighborhood sat home eating cheese puffs..
Now there is no need to be bashing cheese puffs. Let's stay civil.
Mister Sir Husband 03:46 PM 08-21-2014
Oh gosh your right.. don't know what I was thinking... A thousand pardons.
daycare 03:52 PM 08-21-2014
not only is it the kids on the tv/computer games, but more moms are working now than when we were kids. The whole baby fad of available mommy and me classes are everywhere too....

Some neighborhoods are not safe like back in the day and so I think this also contributes as well.

I also think parents always feel the need to have to PLAN the play date, they always seem to need support in all they do.

I think someone posted something about that a few weeks ago.

Also, school is now back in session, so the parks around here have been wipped out.
Childminder 05:37 PM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by :
Hey! Cheese puffs and doritos are on the food program! My home canned vegetables and fruit that the kids are outside and help grow however are not.
nothingwithoutjoy 05:55 PM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Hey! Cheese puffs and doritos are on the food program! My home canned vegetables and fruit that the kids are outside and help grow however are not.
This is one of the main reasons I quit the food program.
nothingwithoutjoy 05:57 PM 08-21-2014
So I can remember going to the park as a kid, and there would be no less than 60 other kids there.. running, playing kickball, swinging, etc. I'm at a park now and for the past hour there's only been 3 kids here.. and they are all with me. It's just kinda sad.
This makes me crazy!! It happens every time I go to the park. There are dog-walkers and me and my kids.
Little Buttons 06:00 PM 08-21-2014
I have noticed the same thing for years now. Even back when I was a nanny I would take the children to the playground. Not only would they be the only kids there but they were "bored" after ten minutes I remember all I lived for as a kid was to go to the local playgrounds!

Now when I take my son or walk to the playground with my DCB and son we are almost always the only ones there. We don't live in a bad neighborhood, the parks are clean and well kept and we go 3-4 times a week so I don't see how we could just be missing the other children.
Laurel 07:26 PM 08-21-2014
Parents work and the kids are in daycare elsewhere. The parks are busy on the weekends here.

Laurel
Unregistered 02:57 AM 08-22-2014
I live in a more afluential neighborhood almost every home in my neighborhood has its own swingset in the yard, trampoline, pool, so when we do go to the playground at the local school its almost always empty as well. I know in my area the kids are scheduled out the wazoo for extra curricular activities. I know parents that leave baseball practice or games early to take the same kid to soccer and then onto swim practice. Its nuts. These kids lives are so structured they don't have any free time to play. Personally, I am a one activity a season mom. Working full time I don't have time shuttle my kid around to 2-3 activities a night.
DaveA 05:25 AM 08-22-2014
The park is our town is usually pretty deserted, but it's pretty old and the equipment is due for an upgrade in a year or two (so they say). The park in a nearby town (close to where we go to the library) is newer and bigger, and it always has a bunch of kids at it.
Reply Up