Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>IN TEARS and FREAKING OUT
Oneluckymom 02:40 PM 02-25-2013
My daughter came home from school complaining her head was too itchy....YUP ITS LICE!! I pulled out 3 adults and her head is covered in nits!!

I AM FREAKING OUT!!!

I have hair down to my waist....what to do. I called my husband to pick up some lice shampoo from the store on his way home tonight, but should I rush to do something now?

Also, what should I tell the parents at pick up? oh by the way keep an eye out for lice?

never thought I would face this
Oneluckymom 02:45 PM 02-25-2013
Now I Cant Stop Itching.....everywhere!!

Funny thing is I checked my son and he only had 1 nit that I could see and I used a flashlight. They have been sleeping together in the same bed. How is it possible??
WoodOx 02:47 PM 02-25-2013
since she has adult lice, then she must have had them now for sometime. do tell parents, and i had the same problem a few weeks back but with my DS. i used clearlice. got the home kit online, a bit pricey but soo worth it. it really does kill all lice, adult, baby and nits.
sorry you have to go thru this, it can be such a pain.
my DKP's didn't mind, they brought their kids in regardless and none of the DCK's got them.
SilverSabre25 02:47 PM 02-25-2013
tell all the parents that you have a confirmed case of lice in the daycare and they should check their kids closely. Anyone with nits needs to be treated and stay out until 100% nit free, and everyone's houses, cars, everything needs cleaned.

You might want to close tomorrow or Friday or something to clean your own place.
Oneluckymom 02:50 PM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
tell all the parents that you have a confirmed case of lice in the daycare and they should check their kids closely. Anyone with nits needs to be treated and stay out until 100% nit free, and everyone's houses, cars, everything needs cleaned.

You might want to close tomorrow or Friday or something to clean your own place.
Should I really close?
Oneluckymom 02:51 PM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by WoodOx:
since she has adult lice, then she must have had them now for sometime. do tell parents, and i had the same problem a few weeks back but with my DS. i used clearlice. got the home kit online, a bit pricey but soo worth it. it really does kill all lice, adult, baby and nits.
sorry you have to go thru this, it can be such a pain.
my DKP's didn't mind, they brought their kids in regardless and none of the DCK's got them.
Funny thing is the school checked her class for cases of lice last week...it was going around. Nobody notified me from the school that she lice at that time.
youretooloud 02:53 PM 02-25-2013
You do need to tell all the parents.

Maybe you can do a natural headlice treatment on yourself if you don't want to do the chemical one for your hair.

I know that you can add a few drops of tea tree oil to your own shampoo and it should keep them away.. they don't like tea tree oil...BUT, it isn't a cure, just a deterrent.
WoodOx 02:57 PM 02-25-2013
omg, really.
maybe they only looked for nits, since lice move very quickly. its sometimes hard to see em. or they crawled on her.
Oneluckymom 03:02 PM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by WoodOx:
omg, really.
maybe they only looked for nits, since lice move very quickly. its sometimes hard to see em. or they crawled on her.
I Know that's why I thought ...WTH!! I just cannot believe this is happening.
frugalmama4 03:04 PM 02-25-2013
Try the original dawn dish liquid soap (the blue stuff). Wash everyone's hair with it. Still get the medicate stuff too...the dawn will help tell them.

Good Luck,

Yes, close...you don't have to tell parents its your kid! "Just say a kid"
Oneluckymom 03:07 PM 02-25-2013
So just tell them I'm closing for the day to sanitize and clean. BTW...I don't get paid for closures so Im sure my husband won't be happy.
EchoMom 03:09 PM 02-25-2013
I agree, you don't have to say it's your kid. That's private. It's none of their business which kid has lice. Any family wouldn't want their kid being blamed, so don't feel you have to throw your own under the bus either.
SilverSabre25 03:09 PM 02-25-2013
In order to really deep clean your entire house and car and everything, you probably should. Take a day, and just do it all and get it done without having to worry about daycare.

You can sell it to the parents as a positive--"in order to give it the best hope of not spreading lice, I will be closing for a day in order to clean my house thoroughly."
youretooloud 03:28 PM 02-25-2013
Maybe you can get a handle on it with some of these remedies.

http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/...head-lice.html

I haven't read through much of it, so it might say to swing a chicken over your head... I have no idea.
itlw8 03:29 PM 02-25-2013
no you do not need to close though you have alot of work to do. Strip her bed and wash everything bag the stuff toys for 2 weeks.

get the spray for furniture and spray everything including your car and car seats. then cover with sheets these you take off and wash until you are sure they are gone IT PREVENTS having to spray again. The vaccume the rug and toss the bag. do this daily for awhile.

check the whole families hair and every dck I would treat anyone in your family that you find anything . Go get the Riobi lice comb at walgreens It has a A battery and zaps the live lice and nits. Do this daily on everyone in the family for 1 or 2 weeks. It works great. You can get some shampoo at walgreens that will not get rid of lice but will help keep from getting them . I thought it stunk though and the kids would not use it again.

Do not forget to wash a dry all coats and hats even those not being worn but are hanging with her coat. The car is the one place everyone misses.
Oneluckymom 03:55 PM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
no you do not need to close though you have alot of work to do. Strip her bed and wash everything bag the stuff toys for 2 weeks.

get the spray for furniture and spray everything including your car and car seats. then cover with sheets these you take off and wash until you are sure they are gone IT PREVENTS having to spray again. The vaccume the rug and toss the bag. do this daily for awhile.

check the whole families hair and every dck I would treat anyone in your family that you find anything . Go get the Riobi lice comb at walgreens It has a A battery and zaps the live lice and nits. Do this daily on everyone in the family for 1 or 2 weeks. It works great. You can get some shampoo at walgreens that will not get rid of lice but will help keep from getting them . I thought it stunk though and the kids would not use it again.

Do not forget to wash a dry all coats and hats even those not being worn but are hanging with her coat. The car is the one place everyone misses.
I will look into the comb and spray. Should I just get all new pillows? And wash all the comfortors?
WoodOx 04:55 PM 02-25-2013
what you can't wash, you can either store them in a sealed bag for 2 weeks, or run them in the hot dryer for 30plus min.
MotherNature 05:13 PM 02-25-2013
Coconut oil! Slather it on, wrap in a plastic bag & leave on for hours. Tea Tree Oil works well with it too. You'll have to do it again in a week-10 days to get any that hatched, but it works great, is natural, & is safe for babies.
cheerfuldom 05:52 PM 02-25-2013
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
Maybe you can get a handle on it with some of these remedies.

http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/...head-lice.html

I haven't read through much of it, so it might say to swing a chicken over your head... I have no idea.
ha ha! didnt you know that swinging a chicken over your head does work?

good advice from everyone OP. good luck to you! when I had long hair and worked it inter city families and lice was very common with the kids, I was told to braid my hair and use lots of hair spray as a deterant, then wash my hair with super hot water at the end of the day and blow dry super hot too. I dont know if this is true but it is what i was told. If you dont have lice, I would suggest trying that for now.
Sunshine74 09:35 PM 02-25-2013
Listerine works well too. I would still do the shampoo once and/or the Riobi comb (I have never tried that) first. Then put Listerine in a spray bottle and saturate the hair and leave it in a shower cap for about 30 minutes. You can use it every day if you need until they are gone.
Chatter Box 07:17 AM 02-26-2013
Out of curiosity has anyone ever treated pack and plays? Just incase it ever hits here. How would you clean it? Unlike pillows you can't replace the mattresses or bag them for two weeks?
wdmmom 07:27 AM 02-26-2013
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Funny thing is the school checked her class for cases of lice last week...it was going around. Nobody notified me from the school that she lice at that time.
Schools here aren't required to check your child or send them home for treatment. They consider it a nuisance and to regularly check your own child. Treatment is not necessary or required to be in school.

It's on their website to routinely check your own child and take precautionary measures such as not share hats, brushes, etc.
Jewels 07:32 AM 02-26-2013
blow dry her hair dry everytime, and blow dry your own, on yourself you can handle higher heat so keep the dryer on your scalp as long as you can tolerate as well, heat kills them, wash and fully dry hair everyday.....my mom said I kept getting head lice when I was little and finally a hair dresser told her to do this, and they didn;t come back, she said she blow dryed my hair almost everyday for a month. she also did the shampoo and nit brush, but just to help kill anything left over or anything new, she would blow dry.
DaisyMamma 07:33 AM 02-26-2013
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
That would make me very upset. Just as it would upset your families if you didn't tell them.

Originally Posted by Chatter Box:
Out of curiosity has anyone ever treated pack and plays? Just incase it ever hits here. How would you clean it? Unlike pillows you can't replace the mattresses or bag them for two weeks?
They sell these expensive sprays at the pharmacy. OR you can put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and use that.

Shampoos from the pharmacy do not work. Save your $ and call your DR. I spent hundreds of dollars - literally - on over the counter shampoos, sprays, etc. Before finally getting an rx and just like that it was gone.

There are ways to prevent lice too, so others don't get it. Lavendar, citronella sprays. I have some papers I put together for families. PM me your email addy if you want the file.
Oneluckymom 07:33 AM 02-26-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
ha ha! didnt you know that swinging a chicken over your head does work?

good advice from everyone OP. good luck to you! when I had long hair and worked it inter city families and lice was very common with the kids, I was told to braid my hair and use lots of hair spray as a deterant, then wash my hair with super hot water at the end of the day and blow dry super hot too. I dont know if this is true but it is what i was told. If you dont have lice, I would suggest trying that for now.
That's exactly what I do....so far I don't have them At least not yet...keeping my fingers crossed!
Oneluckymom 07:38 AM 02-26-2013
I spent over 3 hours on my daughters hair last night and didn't get to bed until after 12pm.

I washed her hair with the lice shampoo....I hope it does work. Went through her hair with the lice comb. It seemed like they were EVERYWHERE! Just when I thought I was done with a section I would find another egg. My back was KILLING ME!!

She was a trooper though for a 5 year old....she was very patient.
Tags:head lice, nits
Reply Up