Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Moving To Another Town-When To Tell Parents?

DH is taking a job 2.5 hours away, and I will stay here until our house sells. I'm worried about the daycare families finding out and scrambling to find new daycare, even though I could possibly be here for another 6 months or so.

I know I could for sure give them a month's notice once we get an offer on our home. Is it fair to not tell them about DH's job? We need the income from my job, so I can't afford to lose them right away!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I wouldnt tell them before you knew a set date. If they ask about dh or about the situation, say "yes he took another job but I am still here for you, dont worry I will tell you in advance IF i decide to close."
Old 12-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Advanced Daycare.com

I wouldn't allow the sales agent to put a sign in the yard. That might deter families too.

Your best bet is to find a realtor that specializes with advertising online. And do a couple open houses.

I wouldn't tell families of your intent to move until 1 month prior to the move. The sooner you provide them with any inking that something is up, they'll leave sooner leaving you with less income.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmmom View Post

I wouldn't tell families of your intent to move until 1 month prior to the move. The sooner you provide them with any inking that something is up, they'll leave sooner leaving you with less income.
I don't agree. If you have understanding families, and no shortage of daycares in the area, I would give them a heads up. I would make sure they understood they would get 1month or more notice and I would offer to provide a list of providers in the area to show I was not just up and leaving them with no thought of their needs.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:49 AM

I think being honest here is your best bet since I'm not sure there is any way you can keep this a secret, especially if you're trying to sell your home.

I agree with LittleD.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:52 AM

I have been in the same situation. It is a very bad idea to try and hide the fact that you are trying to sell your house.....that is going to look really bad if the parents find out. Your best bet is to just be honest, letting them know that you plan on giving four weeks notice to all daycare families should the house sell and emphasizing the fact that the selling process could easily take 6 months or a year and that there will be no showings during daycare hours (no strangers around the kids)
Old 12-21-2011, 10:49 AM

I'm all for honesty and letting the parents know. Let them know that you will give them a 30 day notice when your house sells.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:02 AM

I do not agree with being secretive at all. I would let them know you are starting the listing process and are planning to move but that could be months down the road and you would give them ample notice to find a new daycare. Around here you couldn't even close on a house in 30 days but I know other states don't require lawyers and all that fun stuff, LOL!

I think parents would more likely to up and leave if they came across your house listing WITHOUT you telling them than for them to wait to let you know you have an offer!! If there are a good number of daycares in the area and they wouldn't have trouble finding another I don't think they'd leave until you close.

Tags
moving, notification letter, notification letter - moving, parent notification