Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How And When Do I Tell DCM...
wdmmom 01:53 PM 02-06-2012
I have a DCF that started in October 2011. I knew upon starting that DCB 3 would only be here until August 2012 and that DCM was pregnant with #2 due in March 2012. We've already discussed enrolling baby in June 2012 when DCM returns to work.

Now DCM mentioned something to me the other day saying if DCB isn't completely potty trained, he won't be able to start school in August. If DCB doesn't start school in August, I won't have room for the baby.

When (if at all) do I tell DCM that DCB HAS to go to school in order for me to watch baby?

She has said that DCB will continue coming everyday throughout her maternity leave. Should I suggest she keep in home for a week or two to potty train if he's still not trained by then?
daycare 01:58 PM 02-06-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I have a DCF that started in October 2011. I knew upon starting that DCB 3 would only be here until August 2012 and that DCM was pregnant with #2 due in March 2012. We've already discussed enrolling baby in June 2012 when DCM returns to work.

Now DCM mentioned something to me the other day saying if DCB isn't completely potty trained, he won't be able to start school in August. If DCB doesn't start school in August, I won't have room for the baby.

When (if at all) do I tell DCM that DCB HAS to go to school in order for me to watch baby?

She has said that DCB will continue coming everyday throughout her maternity leave. Should I suggest she keep in home for a week or two to potty train if he's still not trained by then?
I think that a boy being PT by age 3 is a high expectation not saying it won't happen, but a lot of boys don't even start PT until then, well at least IME.

I would tell her ASAP...
Blackcat31 02:03 PM 02-06-2012
I would just casually mention that DCB's vacancy to school is the space you are giving to the infant.

Maybe something like, "Gee Sally, after talking with you the other day about Jimmy being potty trained, I feel the need to make sure I clarify to you that Jimmy's space is the space your infant will be getting. If Jimmy isn't potty trained and doesn't attend school, you will need to make other arrangements for the baby."

The whole thing is a gamble on mom's part.....that is kind of a high expectation to place on her son with all the upcoming changes he will be exeriencing.
wdmmom 02:03 PM 02-06-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I think that a boy being PT by age 3 is a high expectation not saying it won't happen, but a lot of boys don't even start PT until then, well at least IME.

I would tell her ASAP...
He is 3 years 5 1/2 months.
MarinaVanessa 02:05 PM 02-06-2012
I you're concerned about it already then just bring it up now. I would just casually ask how the potty training is going at home, how they're approaching it, how he's reacting to it, how interested he is in it, has he asked to sit on the potty on his own etc. You know, get details about the progress and what exactly they are doing at home. You might be surprised, I've had a parent assume that I would take care of all of the potty training stuff until I explained that most of the work needs to be done at home.

Once you get all the nitty gritty of how the training is going then I would use that as an opportunity to bring up the subject of space. I'd say that you were asking because you wanted to keep up to date with the progress at home so that you can get an idea as the time gets closer about whether or not the new baby will be coming to you DC. If she says that she's already talked to you about the baby starting then you could tell her that if DCB doesn't go to school then you'll have no room for him etc. Maybe that'll motivate her to really stay on top of it.
daycare 02:15 PM 02-06-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
He is 3 years 5 1/2 months.
sorry, I meant to say that is a lot of expectations with all of the changes in his life taking place. New sibling, new preschool and etc...
familyschoolcare 05:17 PM 02-06-2012
I agree with others I would mention it now because mom mentioned it now.

I would say DCM you know as of right now I am full and the spot I am saving for the baby is your sons spot now.

Things might changes later as you know parents only have to give me 2 weeks notice (or what ever you policy is).
wdmmom 07:21 PM 02-06-2012
I had another pregnant DCM tell me today that she is wanting to drop down to PRN status at work after the baby is born. With that child leaving, I`ll have an opening in June or July anyway. Bummer for me. The one leaving is a child I've had the longest. :-(
Tags:parent notification
Reply Up