Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Amber Necklace
lovemykidstoo 06:04 AM 12-12-2017
I know that I posted nearly the same thing a couple of years ago, but since it's been that long I thought I'd get new opinions on the matter. I had 2 years ago, a dcb that wore an amber necklace. Today, I had a dcg show up with one. She's just over a year old and the necklace is quite large on her. She's very tiny. The necklace fits me if I were to wear it as a choker, that's how big it is on her. I didn't notice it until after mom left, so I took it off. I feel like it's way too big on her and too much of a choking hazard. What are your thoughts?
Play Care 06:30 AM 12-12-2017
I do not allow any jewelry so I would take it off and put it up until pick up and let the parents know it couldn't come back.
Wasn't there a case a couple of years ago where an infant was strangled by one while they slept?
Play Care 06:40 AM 12-12-2017
https://www.momtricks.com/babies/dan...ing-necklaces/

This is what I pulled up. It's a mommy blog but the information is good.
hwichlaz 07:31 AM 12-12-2017
Most of my kids here wear them. I check to make sure they are the kind with the break away clasp, and that they are short enough that the kids can’t get them in their mouths.

They aren’t a choking hazzard unless the child removes the necklace and puts the entire thing in their mouth. There is a knot between every bead to keep it on the strand. The issue is kids biting beads off, which is why they need to fit properly.
jenboo 07:35 AM 12-12-2017
If they can get it into their mouth, i take it off.
LysesKids 07:37 AM 12-12-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Most of my kids here wear them. I check to make sure they are the kind with the break away clasp, and that they are short enough that the kids can’t get them in their mouths.

They aren’t a choking hazzard unless the child removes the necklace and puts the entire thing in their mouth. There is a knot between every bead to keep it on the strand. The issue is kids biting beads off, which is why they need to fit properly.
THIS... all mine that wear them have the breakaway clasp too
lovemykidstoo 07:42 AM 12-12-2017
This one is long enough for it to get twisted and choke her imo. If you can imagine you yourself wearing an 18" necklace. That's where hers falls on her.
lovemykidstoo 07:42 AM 12-12-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
THIS... all mine that wear them have the breakaway clasp too
How can you tell if it's a breakaway clasp?
Tags:strangulation risk, teething necklaces
Reply Up