Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crossing Fingers, Toes, Arms, Legs, And Even Eyes!!!
Lucy 01:09 PM 05-18-2011
I've been low on kids for over a year now. I have ONE full-timer and two school-agers. I've advertised non-stop, yet have only gotten maybe 2 calls - neither of which worked out. But I just hung up the phone with a mom of two boys, ages 1 and 4. She works a couple miles away from me, and I mentioned that I used to watch so-and-so's kids who also worked there, and she said she knew her. If she asks her about me (which I'm pretty sure she will) I know I'll get a good recommendation. The only glitch is that she wanted 7:00 to 5:15/5:30, and I said I close at 5:00. That's a lie, because I have a kid here till 5:30, but I'm trying my best to convert to 5:00. IF that ends up to be the make it or break it issue, I'll say 5:15 is ok. We'll see. I'd rather take them till 5:15 then not take them at all. Keep your fingers crossed with me!!!!
jen2651 02:04 PM 05-18-2011
best of luck! I have everything crossed for you!
Meeko 02:18 PM 05-18-2011
Crossed!

Good luck!
Lucy 10:27 PM 05-18-2011
Funny, I go a long time with no calls, but today I got two! However, the 2nd one blabbered on and on about how she's going back to school and I could barely get a word in. Finally interrupted her to ask what days and hours she needed and she says "Oh - Monday through Friday." I said "what hours?" She says "three or four". I'm thinking, ok dummy, I'm not asking how many hours per day! So I said "No, what time?" And she says "I'd pick up by about 7:30 or 8:00 pm." Well.... no you won't because I close at 5:00. Sheesh. When people have odd hours, why is that not the FIRST question they ask??? I told my husband it's like people think we're just here ALL the time -- whenever they need a place to take their kids. Like a 24-hour fast food restaurant. So I'm still hoping the first call will work out. She's coming next week for an interview. Or so she says! Hate to be negative, but I've heard it all before. Ya know???
PitterPatter 04:28 AM 05-19-2011
Good luck to u! I hope it works out well!
Mrs.Ky 06:02 AM 05-19-2011
Must of been something in the air yesterday. I also got two calls yesterday after having my ad out since last Friday when I found out boy I have had for 2 years is leaving. One was for an infant and the other one was for 2 children a toddler and school ager I would rather have the infant interviews set up for tonight and tomorrow night and thats if they show.
bice99 08:51 AM 05-19-2011
I interviewed a great family with a 2 month old little girl last week. Mom called yesterday to say they chose me! While babies are tiring at times, they get on a good nap/eating schedule here and grow up knowing the boundaries in our house. And perfect timing, b/c the DKB I termed a few weeks ago is here until the end of the school year (mom's a teacher) and new DCG needed to start the next week.
SilverSabre25 08:55 AM 05-19-2011
I've gotten two emails and a phone call this week! I have two interviews set up--both for wee tiny babies. The phone call was for a 3 year old but we didn't set up an interview. The mom said she might call back; she's just starting to shop around for a new sitter.
Lucy 09:34 PM 05-24-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I've been low on kids for over a year now. I have ONE full-timer and two school-agers. I've advertised non-stop, yet have only gotten maybe 2 calls - neither of which worked out. But I just hung up the phone with a mom of two boys, ages 1 and 4. She works a couple miles away from me, and I mentioned that I used to watch so-and-so's kids who also worked there, and she said she knew her. If she asks her about me (which I'm pretty sure she will) I know I'll get a good recommendation. The only glitch is that she wanted 7:00 to 5:15/5:30, and I said I close at 5:00. That's a lie, because I have a kid here till 5:30, but I'm trying my best to convert to 5:00. IF that ends up to be the make it or break it issue, I'll say 5:15 is ok. We'll see. I'd rather take them till 5:15 then not take them at all. Keep your fingers crossed with me!!!!
UPDATE: I have an interview with her next Tuesday. Still crossing everything!!
WImom 04:50 AM 05-25-2011
Good Luck, hope everything goes well.
Lucy 02:16 PM 05-25-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
Good Luck, hope everything goes well.
Thank you. I'm going over every detail in my mind about this interview. Financially, I desperately NEED to get these kids!!
Lucy 11:56 AM 05-31-2011
UPDATE:

Just had the interview. I need better interviewing skills!! Either that, or it's just been too long since I've had one. I get nervous. I started this one out fine, but I fell back on my usual crutch of talking too much. I can tell when I'm out of hand because I feel like my explanations of things go on and on with too much detail. I try to tell myself to just shut up and let them talk, but it's the nerves!! Anyone else have that?

Also, I wimped out on cost. She has two kids and I just couldn't get out of my mouth the FULL amount I wanted to charge, so I undercut myself. As soon as she walked out the door, I was kicking myself for it. It's $50 per month less than I wanted to say. However, I have been VERY short on kids for over a year, so any amount will help! There's always the old trick of raising rates about 6 months from now.

Anyway, she sounded like she liked me and my house and program, so I'm still hopeful. She, of course, said "I have a couple other places to visit", and I, of course, said "I had an interview with another family last week". I think that's the standard "cover your butt" statement. She would need to start on June 13th, so she said she'd get back to me this week or early next week.

Still crossing all those fingers & toes!!!!
dEHmom 12:12 PM 05-31-2011
congrats on the good interview.

i find that i yap too much period. i'm a talker, and maybe it's because i hang around with infants all day, but i have a lot to say. hahaha.

sometimes i tell myself to shut up so i say "so yeah" lol. i end my sentences like that. sometimes i find i've answered the question and 5 others they may have had. so i think of it as saving some time by just saying everything lol.

hopefully she gets back to you, but I am the person who thinks negatively so i'm happy when something postive happens like the last 2 tests i wrote for school i got 100%, i thought i bombed on both.
Lucy 02:17 PM 06-22-2011
Another Update:

Didn't get the kids. My dad died on the 31st (I found out 20 min after I submitted that update above) and I immediately flew - that evening - out of state and stayed with Mom for the next 5 days. This lady called and left a message during that time, but didn't say what the outcome was. I fly back to Mom's the next weekend for Dad's memorial, and didn't even check my messages all that time (May 31st to June 13th). I finally called her the 14th and explained what happened. She was very understanding, but said she had found someone else. So.... I go through the summer being way short on kiddos. Such is life, right? Losing your dad isn't depressing enough, now I have to pinch pennies.... and pinch them REAL HARD!
kidkair 04:16 PM 06-22-2011
Big HUGS! So sorry for your loss! Do your best and remember to take it one day at a time. I hope that other clients will come your way soon!
Meyou 04:41 AM 06-23-2011
I'm so sorry about the loss of your Dad, Joyce.
Lucy 09:16 AM 06-23-2011
Thank you both.
momofsix 11:28 AM 06-23-2011
Oh Joyce, I'm so sorry about your Dad. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Lucy 06:46 PM 08-19-2011
Ok, so 2 months have gone by so I thought I'd update yet again.

It's either feast or famine I guess. I didn't have ANY interviews all summer, but had TWO last week. And they both decided to start coming! One on Aug 29th and the other on Sept 6th. This will be THREE new kids and will be a great income boost for us. It's been really hard.

Btw, Mom is here right now! She flew here from Arizona on Aug 15th and will be here till Sept. 1st. She might end up moving here!! Yay!!!!
Zoe 07:02 PM 08-19-2011
That's good news Joyce. About the dcks and your mom. It would be so nice to have her near you. My mother is about a mile away from me and I LOVE it!
Sugar Magnolia 06:26 AM 08-20-2011
Yes feast or famine! We had a tough tough summer, but we just filled up yesterday. I'm glad you got some clients Joyce
CheekyChick 07:38 AM 08-20-2011
That is WONDERFUL!!! I'm so happy for you!!!
mom2many 07:33 PM 08-20-2011
I can so relate! I had times when I wasn't sure if spots would get filled--only to be inundated with calls. That is awesome news about your spots getting filled and I can only say how happy I'd be having my mom come to visit and stay!
Hugs to you!
Lucy 08:48 PM 08-20-2011
Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!

Tags:potential client
Reply Up