Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking a Vacation
blueclouds29 06:03 PM 09-16-2011
I just found out I was prego with my second child However my WHOLE family is on the east coast and I live out west. I was thinking about taking a vacation sometime to go visit them with my daughter over a weekend or maybe christmas time. I'm planning on taking 2 weeks for maternity. Would it be ok to spring a week off to parents when i'm taking 2 weeks for maternity? How should i handle it. BTW I only watch 4 kids and I have great parents, I just feel bad springing it on them. In my contract i have 2 non paid vacation weeks which was going to be the maternity leave. ANy thoughts/ suggestions?
cheerfuldom 06:08 PM 09-16-2011
I've been thru three pregnancies while doing child care. One thing that I have learned the hard way is to NOT put your family in second place behind the daycare. Your child(ren) need to see their family and so do you. Since you just found out you are pregnant, don't tell the parents yet, take the trip this winter to see your family especially since you won't be traveling for awhile after that. Then take whatever you need for maternity leave. Don't miss the time with your family and your newborn trying to scramble to accommodate everyone else. It will all work out and the important thing is that you and your kids get the family time they need. As you know, they grow so fast and its important to take the time with them, thats what really matters!
blueclouds29 06:15 PM 09-16-2011
thank you so much! That was very sweet and well put! Sometimes because its our business we end up putting our family second, and your right! Thank you!
blueclouds29 05:59 AM 09-19-2011
My thread got pushed off the board! Wanted to bring it back up to see what people thought. Thanks
littlemommy 08:25 AM 09-19-2011
I am 23 weeks pregnant (with my 2nd), so my DCP's have known for a while. I just told them early last week that my family will be taking a one week vacation in Mid-October. I figured a one month notice was good. I am also planning on two weeks maternity leave. Both my vacation and maternity leave will be unpaid, I don't think it'd be fair to make them pay for my leave.

All but 1 parent are okay with me taking a vacation and maternity leave. Not that I would change my mind if they weren't! DH and I go on vacation every year around our anniversary, and wanted it to be a sure thing this year before baby is born in January. Like I said, one parent was rude about my vacation. When I told her, she said "oh great. what am I supposed to do? I don't know or trust anyone around here." she's a single mom and full time student, so I understand, but I'm giving plenty of notice. Everything will work out.
Tags:pregnant, vacation, vacation - pregnant
Reply Up