Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Such a Noob
DCMama 02:21 PM 09-05-2012
I am such a noob at this. Just got a phone call from a potential client and I totally do not know what to say to them. I bet this subject has been discuss before but if someone don't mind can they please give me some pointers to how to conduct a phone screening, interviews, setting things up, and what should I do when they come to visit the facility?

I schedule an interview for tomorrow but I feel like I am waiting for the parents to suggest that. All I said was "Hi, what's your name? What's your child name?" she already told me her child age so I did not ask that. I also, asked" how did you find us?" and "Do you have any questions for me?" awkward, I know.

I should of asked have their child been in a daycare setting before, how many days and hours a week they are looking for. It's like my mind is still on vacation. ahhh

Please help and suggest what is the standard routine when someone come to your home and check out you facility?
daycare 02:32 PM 09-05-2012
its ok...dont beat yourself up...the more you do it, the better you will get at it.

You did ask some great questions, but I think the most important ones that ar going to matter from the get go will be the hours and days needed.

YOu don't want someone to show up and they need 5am to 9pm and you only operate from 7am to 530pm... Also, once you start to fill up, you may not have certain days open to offer for care.

when someone calls here is what I tell them.

DCP: hello, I am calling about your preschool
ME: ok, well can you tell me a little about your child and what kind of schedule you are looking for? days and hours needed

If things still sound good and you can meet the schedule, then you move on to the next questions

ME: I then give them a run down about our day and what my child care is like. I will ask has your child been in daycare before, why they are looking for care and whatever i feel I may need to ask them.
DCP: oh wow that sounds just like what I am looking for.

Me: Fantastic, I would like to set up a tour for you to come and see what we have to offer your child. Will tomorrow at 6:00pm work ok for you.

(and of course you will get this question all of the time)
DCP: can I come while you have children so that I can see how you work with the kids.

ME: that is a great question. For safety reasons, I conduct all of my first visits after hours when the child care is closed. This way I can give you my full undivided attention and answer any questions that you will have. After our first meeting I can then arrange you a time to come by and observe for about 20-30minutes.

DCP: ok that works. Can I bring my husband and child

ME: sure the more the merrier. Please give me your email address and I will email you my address. Also, I will give you a courtesy reminder call tomorrow for our appointment. Also, can you tell me how you heard about us........
Nickel 02:55 PM 09-05-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
its ok...dont beat yourself up...the more you do it, the better you will get at it.

You did ask some great questions, but I think the most important ones that ar going to matter from the get go will be the hours and days needed.

YOu don't want someone to show up and they need 5am to 9pm and you only operate from 7am to 530pm... Also, once you start to fill up, you may not have certain days open to offer for care.

when someone calls here is what I tell them.

DCP: hello, I am calling about your preschool
ME: ok, well can you tell me a little about your child and what kind of schedule you are looking for? days and hours needed

If things still sound good and you can meet the schedule, then you move on to the next questions

ME: I then give them a run down about our day and what my child care is like. I will ask has your child been in daycare before, why they are looking for care and whatever i feel I may need to ask them.
DCP: oh wow that sounds just like what I am looking for.

Me: Fantastic, I would like to set up a tour for you to come and see what we have to offer your child. Will tomorrow at 6:00pm work ok for you.

(and of course you will get this question all of the time)
DCP: can I come while you have children so that I can see how you work with the kids.

ME: that is a great question. For safety reasons, I conduct all of my first visits after hours when the child care is closed. This way I can give you my full undivided attention and answer any questions that you will have. After our first meeting I can then arrange you a time to come by and observe for about 20-30minutes.

DCP: ok that works. Can I bring my husband and child

ME: sure the more the merrier. Please give me your email address and I will email you my address. Also, I will give you a courtesy reminder call tomorrow for our appointment. Also, can you tell me how you heard about us........
I love this! I will have to use some of this.
cheerfuldom 03:52 PM 09-05-2012
The best thing is to have some questions ready so you know if they are a good fit for you or not....this isnt just about them....its about you finding the kids that fit with your program.

The big things for me:
1. Child's age (I dont take school agers, I only take one child under 12 months at a time)

2. Budget (I give my rate, which is non negotiable. I have a weekly rate for 4 to 5 days a week, and a daily rate for part timers, regardless of how many hours they are actually here that day)

3. Days and times needed (I give my business hours, which are non negotiable so either they can work within that or they cant)

4. my location (making sure they can drop off and pick up within my business hours)

5. My child/provider ratio (I give them the max number of kids I would ever have in care....so they need to be okay with that number...normally it is less though)

IF all the basics work for them, then I ask if they would like to set up an interview. My interview times are weekday evenings at 6 or 6:30pm, again, not negotiable.....you get my drift? I tell them what works for me and see if that matches their needs. Take control of the conversation (in a nice way)!
daycare 03:58 PM 09-05-2012
great point...dont let them lead your conversation..

I give options to them that will work for me so that I don't sound like I am not flexible.

EX....would you like to meet me at 6 or 630???? Dont let them call the shots....
DCMama 04:02 PM 09-05-2012
Great advice. I will definitely try those pointers next time. I think it's great to be reminded that I need to be in control of the conversation. Got to get back to my mojo. So when they come, after the facility tour, do you all go over your handbook and contract? or you just go over your handbook and then when you feel like they are the right fit you will go through your contract. I'm guessing it's not that awkward to go through the facility and offer them to sit down and talk about handbook and guidelines. haha If only there is a simple template for this stuff.
daycare 04:46 PM 09-05-2012
Originally Posted by DCMama:
Great advice. I will definitely try those pointers next time. I think it's great to be reminded that I need to be in control of the conversation. Got to get back to my mojo. So when they come, after the facility tour, do you all go over your handbook and contract? or you just go over your handbook and then when you feel like they are the right fit you will go through your contract. I'm guessing it's not that awkward to go through the facility and offer them to sit down and talk about handbook and guidelines. haha If only there is a simple template for this stuff.
I have a smaller version of my PHB that I go over with them. My PHB is 13pages long, so they would be here forever.

I go over stuff like
picking up on time, dropping off on time
no sick children EVER
no toys food from home
Will you do field trips??

Go over our eating schedules and give them a sample menu to look at

I have a check list in front of me to go over. If and only if I feel like they would be a good fit for my child care do I give them a copy of my PHB.

When they leave, the next day I will send them a thank you email and offer them a chance to answer any more questions. If I liked them, I will invite them to come back for a 2 week paid trial. I do give them a two week contract to sign and my payment policy to sign... I do not give them a contract to sign until the two weeks have passed and I ask them to join my childcare.
DCMama 07:13 PM 09-05-2012
Thanks Daycare, that really gave me alot of insight. For a two week trial do you think the state will pay for that? I realize that the family I am speaking with is using Cal-works. I do have a 2 week notice policy and I realize Cal-works does not do that. I guess I have to ask them to pay 2weeks out of pocket and then when the time comes and cal-work pay me for their last 2-weeks I will be happy to return it to them? either way thanks alot
daycare 08:38 PM 09-05-2012
Originally Posted by DCMama:
Thanks Daycare, that really gave me alot of insight. For a two week trial do you think the state will pay for that? I realize that the family I am speaking with is using Cal-works. I do have a 2 week notice policy and I realize Cal-works does not do that. I guess I have to ask them to pay 2weeks out of pocket and then when the time comes and cal-work pay me for their last 2-weeks I will be happy to return it to them? either way thanks alot
I dont know anything about cal-works or third party payments....basically a two week trial is a paid period where either party (provider or parent) can choose to discontinue care without a penalty or without advance notice. Now not all providers do this, some chose to, some don't.

Also, what you are looking for during the two week trial, is:

the parents comply with all rules in you PHB.. major things would be picking up late, being disrespectful and so on

you are also looking to see how well the child is adjusting to your daycare routines and other children, as well as your rules.

Is this family the right fit is really what you are asking yourself during the two week trial. Sometimes if I see small progress from the family and child and I am not sure, I will extend the trial. The max I have ever extended it to was one month and that was because the child was part time.

I don't understand why the cal-works would not pay for the family for the day that they start, but like I said, I don't know anything about it.
renodeb 08:18 AM 09-06-2012
You are way to hard on your self. The first thing people usually ask me is what do I charge? Then I use that and segway into what I offer as far as meals etc. I usually them them what part of town I live in and my hours straight off. That usually determines wether the conversation will continue. I usually keep a log of all the dc calls I get. I have a set of questions right in front of me that way. What hours/days do they need? When do they need to start? What fee I quoted them. And ages of the children.
Just relax and you will get better at the phone calls.
Debbie
Tags:potential client
Reply Up