Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Crock Pot
dave4him 01:40 AM 11-16-2012
I need some good dinner meals i can cook in my crock pot! Any suggestions
Kaddidle Care 04:06 AM 11-16-2012
Anything goes Dave. Just do a search for Crock Pot recipes - there's a bazillion on the net.

It's pretty simple - hard veggies on the bottom like carrots and potatoes. Meat goes next then any other veggies. I just did stew the other day - just remember that you don't need to add a lot of liquid. Just enough to cover the bottom - 1/2 to 1 cup - or just add a can of crushed tomatoes. You can put it together at night and throw it in the fridge so all you have to do is put it in the burner and turn it on in the morning. Make sure you add salt/pepper or some dried soup like onion for flavoring.

I'm a night person, not a morning person and can handle raw meat much better in the evening. :P

I usually start it on high for about 1 1/2 hours and then turn it to low.
lovemykidstoo 04:47 AM 11-16-2012
I love crockpot recipes and would like to see some added here.

Dave my favorite is taking any type of spaghetti sauce and putting that in the crockpot, browning some ground chuck and adding that into the crockpot. Put it on low all day. I also add some oregano, fresh garlic and some basil. When it's done, it tastes like you made it from scratch. You would never believe that it came from a jar. I brown up a bunch of hamburg ahead of time and freeze it and then it's so easy i the morniing to throw the frozen hamburg, the sauce and a couple of spices in it for the day. You dont' even have to unthaw the hamburg.
HappyHearts 06:49 AM 11-16-2012
Dave, check out this blog, she has many great recipes, I've cooked many of them, and just tweak a bit to my tastes.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2007...f-recipes.html

I just cooked a meatloaf in my crockpot last night, and it was delicious. I only make meatloaf every few months, but have never done it in the crockpot until last night. Now that will probably be the only way I make it again.
dave4him 07:40 AM 11-16-2012
Thanks! I have one book and have tried a few. My hardest problem is the grocery shopping part, its easier if everything is already in the kitchen
BumbleBee 11:49 AM 11-16-2012
3 easy peasy recipes that I use in my crock pot:

Chicken breast (1 lb)
Cream of mushroom soup (2 reg cans)
Egg noodles

Spread 1 can of cream of mushroom soup on bottom of crock pot
Lay chicken breasts on top of mushroom soup
Dump second can of soup on top of chicken
Cook on low all day

When the chicken/mushroom concoction is done cook up some egg noodles on the stove. Dish up egg noodles and place a chicken breast on top.

Rump roast
Carrots
Potatoes
Onion soup dry mix packet

Put some water in the crock pot & mix the onion soup in.
Place the rump roast in the pan
Cook on high for 4 hrs then switch to low
2 hrs before dinner throw some cut or baby carrots in
1 hr before dinner throw the cubed potatoes in

Meatballs (1 lb bag)
BBQ sauce
Rice

Dump meatballs in crock pot
Pour bbq sauce over meatballs
Cook on low all day

When dinner gets close cook some rice. Spoon the meatballs/bbq sauce over plates of rice.
tenderhearts 12:15 PM 11-16-2012
One of our families favorites and it's SO easy is:

Chicken breasts (4-5 raw)
1 jar of your favorite salsa
envelope of taco seasoning (I only use 1/2 of an envelope)
tsp of lime juice
cook on low for 5-6 hours

sprinkle cilantro to your liking the last hour

when done shred chicken
put in flour tortillas sprinkle cheese, lettuce or whatever you like in a soft burrito.
Everyone in my family LOVES these and it's great for leftovers and lunches the next day....
mema 02:09 PM 11-16-2012
My fav is beef stew! Mmmmm, I am not a meat person, but I love the veggies and the sauce over a nice warm biscuit or roll. My dd takes my meat and I take her carrots
Heidi 03:11 PM 11-16-2012
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
One of our families favorites and it's SO easy is:

Chicken breasts (4-5 raw)
1 jar of your favorite salsa
envelope of taco seasoning (I only use 1/2 of an envelope)
tsp of lime juice
cook on low for 5-6 hours

sprinkle cilantro to your liking the last hour

when done shred chicken
put in flour tortillas sprinkle cheese, lettuce or whatever you like in a soft burrito.
Everyone in my family LOVES these and it's great for leftovers and lunches the next day....
This sounds like it'd be my favorite on this thread. yummy!
Former Teacher 09:13 AM 11-17-2012
I will be watching this thread closely! I am always looking for new crockpot meals!
e.j. 11:47 AM 11-17-2012
Here's an easy recipe I found on Pinterest. My family loves it:

5-6 Cube Steaks (family pack)
2 cans of Cream of Mushroom soup
1 packet dry onion soup mix
1/2 cup water

Place steaks in crock. Mix other 3 ingredients and pour over steaks. Cook on low 8-10 hours.

I make rice (the original recipe calls for pasta, I think) and put the steaks/sauce over it. It's very good!
dEHmom 09:40 AM 11-19-2012
throw some ribs in the crockpot (stand them on their side for best results)

mix:
1 cup ketchup
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar

(I double this recipe) and then pour it over the ribs. cook on low 8 hrs or so. yum!

The sauce recipe is great too if you fry up ground beef or make meatballs, then throw them in the crockpot and pour sauce in, simmer for as long as you like (in pot or on low for 8 hrs in crockpot.
SunshineMama 09:50 AM 11-19-2012
Also check out pinterest. There's tons of amazing recipes there!
Reply Up