Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Help With Granola Bars
Scout 06:30 PM 12-05-2012
While they turned out yummy, they did not stay together. I thought I had them packed tight enough. Any clues? Thanks!
MamaBearCanada 05:05 AM 12-06-2012
Do you have enough 'binding' ingredients like honey or egg?
Scout 08:17 AM 12-06-2012
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
Do you have enough 'binding' ingredients like honey or egg?
Recipe was as follows:
1/4 c honey
1/4 c butter
1/3 c brown sugar
2 c krispy rice cereal
2 c oatmeal

should I add more honey? Or maybe someone has a recipe that is different but, with oatmeal & not granola? thanks!
Meyou 08:49 AM 12-06-2012
If you bake them I'd add an egg and a 1/4 cup whole wheat flour along with a little more honey.
MamaBearCanada 11:54 AM 12-06-2012
Try adding 1 beaten egg. If that isn't enough try adding the egg & an extra 1/4c honey. A mashed banana helps too I find.
itlw8 12:12 PM 12-06-2012
that should have worked. were they still warm when you cut them or cool? Cutting when still warm but then not picking them up helps hold them together.

It is actually the sugar that holds them together. was your brown sugar loose or packed in the measuring cup... try packing it then there is more sugar.

The one I make has no honey just brown sugar.
Scout 07:43 PM 12-06-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
that should have worked. were they still warm when you cut them or cool? Cutting when still warm but then not picking them up helps hold them together.

These were a no bake recipe...maybe I should try one I have to bake?

It is actually the sugar that holds them together. was your brown sugar loose or packed in the measuring cup... try packing it then there is more sugar.

The one I make has no honey just brown sugar.
I honestly can't remember if it was packed or not. I let the kids help me whenever I make stuff like this so I had 3 3yo pouring ingredients together for me! It tastes great...I saved it in a Ziploc to top off yogurt so it will not go to waste. Might try again tomorrow!
Scout 07:46 PM 12-06-2012
Thanks ladies! I think I will look for a recipe where I bake them. Maybe that'll help. I can't add egg if they are no bake since there is the small chance of salmonella poisoning! I will check out pinterest in the morning for more recipes. Anyone not using it who wants to PM me & I will invite you. The recipes alone are awesome!
Meyou 02:46 AM 12-07-2012
This is a good one:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/playgroup-granola-bars/\

I only use 1/4 cup sugar and whole wheat flour.
MamaBearCanada 07:34 AM 12-07-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
This is a good one:

That's the one I use too! We add all kinds of dried fruit, nuts, seeds, choc chips depending on the age I'm making it for. I've also subbed in Cheerios and all bran. It's amazing. I'm going to make some this afternoon.
Scout 11:17 AM 12-07-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
This is a good one:

Just made these. They are cooling. I added 1c rice krispies instead of 1/2 c wheat germ though since I didn't have it. Much stickier than the last batch!
MamaBearCanada 03:12 PM 12-07-2012
Originally Posted by aprilsfool77:
Just made these. They are cooling. I added 1c rice krispies instead of 1/2 c wheat germ though since I didn't have it. Much stickier than the last batch!
Yay! Did you like them?
Scout 06:14 PM 12-07-2012
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
Yay! Did you like them?
Just ate my second one! Yummy. They remind me a bit of these Mother's Milk cookies I made last year while pumping breastmilk for my son. Those had oatmeal, cinnamon, brewers yeast, choc chips, & a whole lot of other ingredients & the final outcome is very similar in taste. And two dck's liked them too! I only have 3 so that's pretty good!
Meyou 02:50 AM 12-08-2012
I love this recipe! You can throw anything into it and it turns out super yummy. I make it every Sunday and cut a pan into 20 granola bars for my dh and kids to take for lunch all week.
countrymom 07:06 AM 12-10-2012
going to make some right now.
Reply Up