Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Too Professional??
KnoxMom 06:30 PM 01-19-2013
So I plan on opening a private in-home daycare this Spring with a capacity of 4 students. I'm not actively advertising yet, but I have started building my own website, created a facebook page as well as obtained any free listings available on directories.

Already, before officially launching, an upset neighbor (that does not even live on my street) is trying to shut it down. My neighborhood is zoned as an 'Established Neighborhood' and our homes and gardens are showcased yearly. I've made it clear that I will do nothing to detract from the neighborhood and do not intend to have any signage around my home and only want to improve my property with landscaping, etc. as I have already done with rocks and mulch since being a resident.

I've already agreed not to become licensed because it is against our HOA covenant to operate a commercial business but a family daycare is not considered commercial and is not required to become licensed in my state until there are more than 4 non-relative children in care. She argues that she does not believe I am trying to run a small operation but will try to blindside the neighborhood by expanding after getting everyone's approval. After speaking at an HOA meeting, I received the approval of the board to operate so long as I do not get licensed to care for more than four children. Fine, that is adequate to financially support my family and live out the dream I have to impact the lives of children.

After it is all over and I've addressed the concerns of parking, noise, traffic, etc. (bitter) she tells me that she doesn't buy my story and that my website clearly contradicts this small environment I discussed in the meeting. She argues that because I am using "expensive curriculum approved by the State" and have a "fancy website that is too professional" she knows there is more to it. I created the website on wordpress on my own and why would I want any less than the best curriculum for the children in my care? Please note that TWO of the children are MY OWN. I'm in the process of creating a newsletter sharing with my neighbors some of the policies I am including in my handbook to be considerate of those around me such as prohibiting double parking and requiring parents not to turn around in my neighbors' driveways as well as provisions to keep quiet and indoors at certain hours and to remove all toys from the backyard daily and my commitment to keep the capacity at four.

I'm not sure what else to do at this point. I really want to be a good neighbor and I'm in love with the house so moving is not an option. Does anyone have any experience in handling this? Also, the website is http://highhopesknox.com and I would love your feedback on what I can do or say to reiterate my intentions. I already have a section that outlines WHY I have four children. HELP!!
Meeko 06:50 PM 01-19-2013
As you already have approval from the people who actually count.....I would not worry about it. Sounds as if the neighbor woman has too much time on her hands.

When I did daycare in another location, I had to get the home zoning changed so I could operate a group daycare.

There was a hearing and I was scared that the local busy-body would show up and complain.

The planning commission guy told me that someone saying they didn't want a daycare in their area wasn't good enough. They had to have VERY legitimate reasons why not. Their feelings, thoughts and opinions didn't matter. They had to PROVE it would be a hazard some way.

I was approved. Busy-body never uttered a word and I did business there for 17 years.
melilley 07:03 PM 01-19-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
As you already have approval from the people who actually count.....I would not worry about it. Sounds as if the neighbor woman has too much time on her hands.

When I did daycare in another location, I had to get the home zoning changed so I could operate a group daycare.

There was a hearing and I was scared that the local busy-body would show up and complain.

The planning commission guy told me that someone saying they didn't want a daycare in their area wasn't good enough. They had to have VERY legitimate reasons why not. Their feelings, thoughts and opinions didn't matter. They had to PROVE it would be a hazard some way.

I was approved. Busy-body never uttered a word and I did business there for 17 years.
There is always that "one" neighbor!
melilley 07:09 PM 01-19-2013
Meeko is right. You already have approval. What's it to this lady? You are only going to have 4 kids it's not like you're moving a whole school in. Your website is very nice! Even though you are a small home daycare, I don't think you can look too professional.
EchoMom 04:27 AM 01-20-2013
You'll only have 4 kids, that's barely noticable. The HOA doesn't have any limits on the amount of bio children you can have, so 4 kids could simply be your own! What would the neighbor do then?

Your website does seem REALLY professional and it does give me the impression you're starting a school. However, I don't think you should necessarily change it if that's the image you want to project. I think since you can only have 4 kids, all the more reason why you need to represent yourself as very very professional so you can get a high rate and show people you're just just babysitting a couple kids, but taking it seriously.
lolaland 06:04 AM 01-20-2013
Yes... a bit too professional. While browsing your web page I got the impression it was a daycare center... I think the constant use of "learning center" when you refer to yourself or your home enforces that impression. The only time I realized this is a home daycare is when I checked the "gallery" (pictures) and when I read it would only care for 4 children. It's a very well made webpage but it will appeal to parents who are looking for daycare center... and neighbors might feel this is the beginning of something bigger... So in other words, I think your webpage as it is, is "attracting the wrong crowds (parents looking for daycare center) and giving the wrong impression (to neighbors)"...
mbullette 07:36 AM 01-20-2013
I have been in this similar situation and all I can say is be careful. I have had the state called on me and it has just been one mess after another. Even though you got the approval she can still do a lot more to hurt you as I have found out. I live in a small village where we are not allowed to have fences. I am not allowed to be licensed because I cant have a fenced in backyard which my state licensing requires. I have gone to village board meetings and they will not allow it. There are 5 ladies here that do in home childcare but we are only allowed so many kids. There are no large centers around here because the village will not allow it. Make sure when you interview people you are very clear about parking, noise and so on. If you are outside with the kids make sure they are not loud and just be very careful. I feel for you because I know exactly what you are going through and one person can make your life hell and she will.
Hunni Bee 11:04 AM 01-20-2013
That's ridiculous. Its a beautiful website and well done. Just because you plan to have a small home daycare does not mean you can't have a nice website.

If you have told these people that you will only have two other children besides your own and that you will not be licensed, that's the end of it. You already got approval. What your website "looks like" or what curriculum you have is of no consequence, to her at least.

I would just go on as planned. If she tries to make false reports, etc, I would contact the police.
nanglgrl 12:18 PM 01-20-2013
I don't know the video shows one teacher and 5 children (gasp!). What are you trying to pull here? I think your website is great but if I were a parent looking for care and saw your website before anything else I would think you were a center. That said, I think your level of professionalism should attract clientele that are willing to pay above average. There are a lot of people out there that want preschool, a home atmosphere and want less children so their child gets more attention and they are willing to pay for it!
KnoxMom 02:41 PM 01-20-2013
Originally Posted by lolaland:
Yes... a bit too professional. While browsing your web page I got the impression it was a daycare center... I think the constant use of "learning center" when you refer to yourself or your home enforces that impression. The only time I realized this is a home daycare is when I checked the "gallery" (pictures) and when I read it would only care for 4 children. It's a very well made webpage but it will appeal to parents who are looking for daycare center... and neighbors might feel this is the beginning of something bigger... So in other words, I think your webpage as it is, is "attracting the wrong crowds (parents looking for daycare center) and giving the wrong impression (to neighbors)"...
Thank you for the honest feedback. The reason I started off with this image is that in a few years down the road I would like to expand to a facility outside of my home and I don't want to start over with marketing or changing the image. I'm going to try to shift the focus from 'the center' to what 'I' am trying to instill in the children in my home. I've also updated the pages to say 'Child Care Home' to remove some of the confusion. Thanks so much!
KnoxMom 02:44 PM 01-20-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:

Thank you for the encouragement. I just don't want to ruffle any feathers being new and everything. It is nice to hear you were able to successfully overcome that situation.
KnoxMom 02:53 PM 01-20-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I don't know the video shows one teacher and 5 children (gasp!). What are you trying to pull here? I think your website is great but if I were a parent looking for care and saw your website before anything else I would think you were a center. That said, I think your level of professionalism should attract clientele that are willing to pay above average. There are a lot of people out there that want preschool, a home atmosphere and want less children so their child gets more attention and they are willing to pay for it!
Haha! gotta love the stick figure drawings right? I am still tweaking the site to make sure I don't run away clients that want that small atmosphere but I also don't want potentials to think I'm a glorified babysitter with no knowledge of curriculum and early education philosophies. I'm still working to find that middle ground because I offer much more than many of the unqualified SAHMs (although there are some great ones) but I'm certainly different than the large commercial facilities in the area that aren't concerned about giving individualized attention. Interesting niche, I suppose. Thanks for looking at it from both sides!
Tags:hoa, neighbors, rules
Reply Up