Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Following The School Calendar
cara041083 07:11 AM 02-12-2014
I have noticed that alot of the providers here follow the school calendar, and close when the kids are out and still charge for it. I am thinking about doing that. Can anyone tell me the pros vs cons to do this and what the reasoning behind it is? Part of me thinks its a great idea, but part of me thinks It would be more convenient for parents to be open those days so they have a place to take there kids. Right now I just close for the major holidays and 2 weeks vacation. Thanks
Msdunny 07:33 AM 02-12-2014
I follow the local school calendar because 2 of my 4 families are teacher families. The other 2 families have grandparents close by who love having a day with their grandkids, so it works for me. The only concession to that is I am open in the summer. 1 of my teachers doesn't bring her child at all, and doesn't pay, the other brings her boy every.single.day. No time at all with mommy!

I close because I need a day off every once in a while, and these kids need family time every once in a while. My dcp pay a flat rate for every week of care, so I do charge for those days.

Adding: I also took 5 personal days this year. I looked at the calendar and tried to schedule days that would affect the least number of families. They are all on Friday, when I only have my two teacher families, and are on Fridays when they might have the day off anyway. I did it so that my dcm who would bring her boy to me anyway....wouldn't! I do not charge for personal days. I do charge for snow days when I close.
CraftyMom 07:39 AM 02-12-2014
I do not follow the school calendar but I wish I did! I would be able to spend time and do things with my children when they are home. I, like you, originally stayed open on most holidays (except major ones) and school vacas to be accommodating to my dcp's. I quickly realized the problem through experience and would like to change it now after a little over a year of being open. Not sure how to go about it. The bottom line for me is, if I am open there will be kids here, regardless if the parents are home! Really gets under my skin to have parents home and their kids are here!
Crazy8 07:52 AM 02-12-2014
I find most parents do not have work schedules according to the school calendar and especially if they don't have school age children it just doesn't pertain to them and they would balk at me being closed those days. They don't get off for Presidents Day, Columbus Day, teacher convention, even spring break or xmas break. I need to be competitive with daycare centers, not the schools, so therefore I can't be closed for every little school holiday. If I took only teachers kids maybe, but even then, if they work in a different district their calendar is different.
butterfly 08:13 AM 02-12-2014
The reason I went to school year only is because I had all teacher families. I didn't really plan it that way, but that's the way it ended up with word of mouth referrals. Most of the teachers didn't want or need childcare when school wasn't in session so I just decided to change my open/close days to follow the school.

I kinda just fell into it. Had I not already had the teacher families, I feel as though it may have been very difficult to switch over to this.

I also live across the street from a school so my location has been very helpful as well.

I love that I have time with my own SAs when school is closed and I can actually be available to take them to their summer camps and watch them participate in their summer sports.

It works out wonderfully for our family!
Heidi 11:09 AM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I find most parents do not have work schedules according to the school calendar and especially if they don't have school age children it just doesn't pertain to them and they would balk at me being closed those days. They don't get off for Presidents Day, Columbus Day, teacher convention, even spring break or xmas break. I need to be competitive with daycare centers, not the schools, so therefore I can't be closed for every little school holiday. If I took only teachers kids maybe, but even then, if they work in a different district their calendar is different.
same here...
Jack Sprat 11:47 AM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by cara041083:
I have noticed that alot of the providers here follow the school calendar, and close when the kids are out and still charge for it. I am thinking about doing that. Can anyone tell me the pros vs cons to do this and what the reasoning behind it is? Part of me thinks its a great idea, but part of me thinks It would be more convenient for parents to be open those days so they have a place to take there kids. Right now I just close for the major holidays and 2 weeks vacation. Thanks
I'm in Kansas as well. I don't follow the school calendar. I only have one teacher family. If I followed the school calendar it would leave my other families looking for care for at least one day every month (snow days etc). If I had all teacher families I would! I don't think in my area I could get away with charging and still closing. I would stay open and charge if they decide not take care. Which is what I do now. Or parents can use their vacation days.
Annalee 11:59 AM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
I'm in Kansas as well. I don't follow the school calendar. I only have one teacher family. If I followed the school calendar it would leave my other families looking for care for at least one day every month (snow days etc). If I had all teacher families I would! I don't think in my area I could get away with charging and still closing. I would stay open and charge if they decide not take care. Which is what I do now. Or parents can use their vacation days.
I follow the school calendar but not the snow days......I am in the south so we don't have many snow days anyway. I do this so I can be with my own school age children and my clients are told this in the interview process. Yep, I charge as well. One flat rate 52 weeks a year!
Annalee 12:01 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I follow the school calendar but not the snow days......I am in the south so we don't have many snow days anyway. I do this so I can be with my own school age children and my clients are told this in the interview process. Yep, I charge as well. One flat rate 52 weeks a year!
My brain is not in gear today! I close for school holidays, but am open in the summer.
Tags:closing due to weather, public schools, vacation
Reply Up