Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>RN Switching To Home Daycare
kristen79rn 01:40 PM 11-17-2012
I am currently an RN but unhappy at work and unhappy with my sons sitter. So I'm starting in home daycare. I'm trying to do the hazardous protection plan which I can mostly come up with but I have a pool. It it completely up to code and I have door alarms so kids do not sneak outside. I was also hoping to find some templates for a lot of the other forms I'm going to need. This is a great site. I'm glad to have found it. So hopefully I get full access to be sble to see the forms and share information. Thank you
Michael 02:29 PM 11-17-2012
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now. Here are some threads on Hazard Plan: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...rotection+plan
KristinaKC 02:06 PM 01-22-2014
Kristen,
I'm also an RN and I'm seriously considering quitting and opening a home daycare. I miss being with my children. I hope you can appreciate how nervous I am to make this big step. I spent thousands of dollars on a nursing education (BSN) and now I want to leave that behind. I have a 7 year old and an 8 month old. I was in school, without working, when my older child was younger and so we were able to spend a lot of time together. I cannot believe how much I am missing with my daughter and I don't feel right about being gone. Can you tell me some of your experience with making the transition? Thank-you.
Unregistered 05:30 PM 01-22-2014
Yes definitely! I have kept my nursing license and it really helps with getting children. I got licensed over the summer and in the beginning I took any kids and let them pay daily. It was a big mistake but I was worried about the money. I got kids very easy and very fat without doing any advertising at all. I had my old babysitter refer me and just trekking people at garage sales and such and I answered a couple ads. I am full and have been and have had people still asking and kinda like a wait list type thing. I did recently send out a new contract to the parents that is much more strict and having them pay weekly. The taxes is a bit overwhelming add you claim meals and time space and depreciate everything in house but it sounds like no one really ends up paying. Now that I have new contracts and I'm basically full I am making more than nursing. Now I will tell you there are days I wish I could just go back to nursing. It's easy to go to work and leave work there. Now I feel like I'm always at work and these parents really walk all over you and take advantage of you. I was a pediatric nurse so it's kinda like the demanding parents there. Just as bad. And the healthy children ate harder to take care of than sick ones lol. You really need to stay on a schedule and be strict from day one. It's kinda hard sometimes to deal with other people's kids. I really shake my head a lot. I have many stories and I would be glad to help you in any way and answer any questions. Feel free to email me and then we can exchange numbers or anything. Kristen79rn@yahoo.com
Talk to you soon.
Cradle2crayons 06:06 AM 01-23-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yes definitely! I have kept my nursing license and it really helps with getting children. I got licensed over the summer and in the beginning I took any kids and let them pay daily. It was a big mistake but I was worried about the money. I got kids very easy and very fat without doing any advertising at all. I had my old babysitter refer me and just trekking people at garage sales and such and I answered a couple ads. I am full and have been and have had people still asking and kinda like a wait list type thing. I did recently send out a new contract to the parents that is much more strict and having them pay weekly. The taxes is a bit overwhelming add you claim meals and time space and depreciate everything in house but it sounds like no one really ends up paying. Now that I have new contracts and I'm basically full I am making more than nursing. Now I will tell you there are days I wish I could just go back to nursing. It's easy to go to work and leave work there. Now I feel like I'm always at work and these parents really walk all over you and take advantage of you. I was a pediatric nurse so it's kinda like the demanding parents there. Just as bad. And the healthy children ate harder to take care of than sick ones lol. You really need to stay on a schedule and be strict from day one. It's kinda hard sometimes to deal with other people's kids. I really shake my head a lot. I have many stories and I would be glad to help you in any way and answer any questions. Feel free to email me and then we can exchange numbers or anything. Kristen79rn@yahoo.com
Talk to you soon.
RN here also. I still have my license and work only the number of shifts necessary. I've been at the same hospital for 12 years and it would help me stay full except it's an hour away from here lol. Pedi nurse here too!!

I can related to so much of what you said!! Lol
kelbachj9 06:36 PM 06-09-2014
I am also thinking about doing this transition. How much are you making? Is it comparable to RN wages? Also does anyone not use their home?
Snapdragon96 06:20 PM 07-14-2014
I've been thinking of it too. I'm also a ped RN with 10 years home care experience. Do any of you take or will take special needs kids or things like gb's insulin pumps, etc?
Cradle2crayons 07:16 PM 07-14-2014
Originally Posted by Snapdragon96:
I've been thinking of it too. I'm also a ped RN with 10 years home care experience. Do any of you take or will take special needs kids or things like gb's insulin pumps, etc?
I take kids with medical issues or who are medically fragile. It's very rewarding!! I'm also a pediatric RN.
TwinKristi 07:27 PM 07-14-2014
I'm really surprised you're able to make more doing daycare than as an RN but maybe after childcare costs?? My friend makes really good money as an RN...
I was making less than $20/hr at my last job and after daycare for 4 kids I made very little! Now I'm able to make double what I made when I was working even before paying daycare.
Snapdragon96 08:01 PM 07-14-2014
Rn's here only stay in the 20's pretax!
Tags:disaster plan, hazardous protection plan
Reply Up