Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Are People So Afraid Of Vinegar?
Lissa Kristine 06:19 PM 12-06-2017
This morning at work, I went to clean up a table one of the three-year-olds made a HUGE mess at while eating (and playing with) his breakfast.

Now, despite state regulations requiring a two-step cleaning procedure for eating and diapering surfaces, there is NO soap and water solution available in the center I work at. So, I saw on the top of the refrigerator a bottle labeled "Multisurface Cleaner." I put some on the table (I had to pour it out since the trigger on the spray bottle was broken) and realized that it was vinegar.

One of my coworkers flipped out at me saying that the vinegar was for the carpets and that they use dish detergent to clean the tables. I pointed out that the bottle didn't say it was 'carpet cleaner'- nor was it clear that they had recycled the bottle to be used for a vinegar/water solution.

I'm a little annoyed that she got mad at me for using the 'wrong' bottle when I simply followed the label ON the bottle, and it is not my fault that we do not have properly labeled (working) bottles of both soap and water and bleach and water solutions.

But I really don't understand why she was so freaked out about me using vinegar on the surfaces the kids eat off of. My old boss when I worked as a babysitter at a gym was the same way. If I used the vinegar/water solution to clean in the babysitting room, she freaked. (I was only allowed to use vinegar when mixed with the lavender scented cleaner). Sure, it's not the most pleasant smell, but they both act like I'm using toxic cleaners around children. Like they're going to be poisoned by the fumes.

I'd be more concerned about the too-strong bleach solution used in the diaper changing area than vinegar.

I just don't get it. Why are people so afraid of vinegar?
Tags:disinfectants, education, fear, fear - vinegar, training courses
Up