Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interviewing ?
Nellie 08:48 PM 09-27-2011
Often during interview a family will tell me that they want me to care for their child. How do I go about saying that I need some time to think about OR I already know that I don't want to accept the child. I am in no hurry to fill spots and want to find a child and family that will fit in with the group. I don't want to hurt any ones feelings.
Pammie 03:11 AM 09-28-2011
I find it very difficult to tell a family that I won't accept them into daycare face-to-face. I also find it unsettling that a family asks me to provide daycare for them without knowing me from Adam, after meeting with me for 45min-hour, without checking my references etc.

So I tell all prospective clients at the end of the interview that making a placement is a "big decision for both of us". (I usually add that I'm interviewing other families for the spot) I also am very up front and tell them that I'm looking for a family that's a good match for my services. I tell them that I'd like them to go home, think about it, call my references, talk it over and then if they're still interested, call me back by <date>. During that time, I'm considering the placement too. When/if the parents call back asking for a space, if it's a family that I don't want to start, then I just say, "It was a pleasure meeting your family, but I'm sorry. I don't think that we're a good match for each other." and leave it at that (They've already heard me say those "good match" words during our interview). I don't allow myself to get drawn into lengthy explanations, or allow parents to try and talk me into changing my mind.

I'm a firm believer that we as providers, just like parents of children needing care, need to trust our instincts about potential clients
wdmmom 12:30 PM 09-28-2011
I tell families that I am interviewing more prospective clients all interested in the opening I have.

I also tell families that I require at minimum 2 interviews. I will never take on anyone that I just met.

I tell them to contact me if they are interested in scheduling a 2nd interview. If none do, I start my search over. If I have all 3 schedule 2nd interviews, I decide who I want to work for based on the hours the child will be here, the childs behavior and the parents. I also consider where they work and where they live as factors as well. If there is one family over another, I tell them that I would be happy if they chose to come to me and that I think their child would be an exceptional fit into my program. If they are comfortable securing deposit, the spot it theirs.
Cat Herder 12:44 PM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by Nellie:
Often during interview a family will tell me that they want me to care for their child.
"Well Thank You, I appreciate that. I love what I do. I have a few more interviews this week and will let you know by Friday Evening. Have a safe drive home!!"
Country Kids 12:50 PM 09-28-2011
What do you do though if they need you the next day? I have had three in the last year that actually needed me the next day because of situations with the current provider at that time. All were ligitamete situations and needed to start immediately. I also had space for all three so it wasn't a pick like I needed to tetermine down to one out of the three.
familyschoolcare 12:52 PM 09-28-2011
I tell parent I never sign a child on the first interview/visit. Day care placement is a big decision please go home read over my contract look at the current schedule/newsletter (and discuss with your husband). Then give me a call in a few days to set up the next appointment.
Cat Herder 12:53 PM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
What do you do though if they need you the next day? I have had three in the last year that actually needed me the next day because of situations with the current provider at that time. All were ligitamete situations and needed to start immediately. I also had space for all three so it wasn't a pick like I needed to tetermine down to one out of the three.
For me, if I like them I take them.

If I was not impressed or not convinced (that they would fit)...I'd give the above.
Meeko 02:43 PM 09-28-2011
I am always a little wary of parents who are "desperate" and need me to start the next day. A lot of the time it's because the previous provider has given them the boot!!!

I let parents know that I REQUIRE them to call the references I give them and that I require references from them too and that I WILL check them. Then I am the one who will decide if a child enrolls in my day care.
Nellie 08:32 PM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I am always a little wary of parents who are "desperate" and need me to start the next day. A lot of the time it's because the previous provider has given them the boot!!!

I let parents know that I REQUIRE them to call the references I give them and that I require references from them too and that I WILL check them. Then I am the one who will decide if a child enrolls in my day care.
What kind of references from the prospective clients do you check?
cheerfuldom 07:22 AM 09-29-2011
I don't take parents that want to start immediately. There is almost always a reason behind it that is not good....like they got kicked out of a daycare or they don't care to research all options and make an informed choice. OP don't make people feel that they can rush you on the decision.
melskids 07:42 AM 09-29-2011
i go on instinct. i did have a mom once come despeate for care for the next day. her situation was a bit different, as her current provider was doing some pretty unethical things. there was NO way she was going back there again. i gave her a chance, and she turned out to be my best family ever. i had her kids for 6 years, until we moved away. but we still keep in touch to this day.

if not...i like catherder's response.
Meeko 09:08 AM 09-29-2011
What kind of references from the prospective clients do you check?
Past provider(s) if possible. Also, employer or religious leader or law enforcement or landlord or similar personal reference. (Not just 'friends") I also check the sex offenders registry and the county arrest records. I wanna know who's walking through the door!!!
mismatchedsocks 09:15 AM 09-29-2011
I usually interview, and the parents want the spot right then. I have only had a handful of people who have to get back to me. I do however let them read my contract BEFORE they come...then if they say they want me to watch their child I have them initial each spot on contract and go over it right there.

I dont have a problem with families starting next day unless i have bad vibe. I usually email/or talk to families a few times before they show up. I dont want to waste any ones time by them not agreeing with what services I offer. I am very upfront with a long contract.

If I have a bad feeling or if the hours are not 'perfect" or the parents seem leary, then I say...think about it, I will think about it, read the contract again then let me know.
caligirl 09:56 AM 09-29-2011
Often during interview a family will tell me that they want me to care for their child. How do I go about saying that I need some time to think about OR I already know that I don't want to accept the child. I am in no hurry to fill spots and want to find a child and family that will fit in with the group. I don't want to hurt any ones feelings.
I always say that i am in the process of interviewing and that I will contact them in a day or so. That way, I can give it serious thought. Sometimes though, as was this past Monday during an interview, I knew I wanted this family. I loved the baby, loved the parents, so when they asked how soon they could start, I told them next Monday.
Nellie 03:26 PM 09-29-2011
Thanks every one for the suggestions.
Tags:interview - questions
Reply Up