Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Curriculum observation 'lesson plan'... advice!
daycarediva 03:49 PM 02-10-2015
So I get to participate in some new state wide initiative of a preschool curriculum and have been attending classes. Tomorrow is my first observation, it has to be a based on a book.

I'm using Pete the Cat, I love my white shoes (It's a HUGE hit this month and they can all repeat it word for word)
I will read it as our morning story choice. I have laminated feet to the floor in white, red, blue, brown, and white again with pictures of what he stepped in labeled. As we read it, I will have each child stand at a set of feet and we will all sing the "I love my ____ shoes!" parts together.

I have blank mini books about the sequencing in the writing center as a prompt with picture guides.

Our art center invitation will be cut out of a white converse on cardstock to paint and 'write' their own version of the story.

and then it will be recess when she leaves. I also have centers unrelated to the book- sensory bin with slime and colored heart beads. -heart counting cards with heart manipulatives -playdoh/mats with numbered candy

Too much? Too little? I'm concerned she won't like that all of my activities aren't all together, the kids are able to rotate around to where they want to be during this time, with limits set on the number of children in each area, cleaning up before you move on..
daycare 04:05 PM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
So I get to participate in some new state wide initiative of a preschool curriculum and have been attending classes. Tomorrow is my first observation, it has to be a based on a book.

I'm using Pete the Cat, I love my white shoes (It's a HUGE hit this month and they can all repeat it word for word)
I will read it as our morning story choice. I have laminated feet to the floor in white, red, blue, brown, and white again with pictures of what he stepped in labeled. As we read it, I will have each child stand at a set of feet and we will all sing the "I love my ____ shoes!" parts together.

I have blank mini books about the sequencing in the writing center as a prompt with picture guides.

Our art center invitation will be cut out of a white converse on cardstock to paint and 'write' their own version of the story.

and then it will be recess when she leaves. I also have centers unrelated to the book- sensory bin with slime and colored heart beads. -heart counting cards with heart manipulatives -playdoh/mats with numbered candy

Too much? Too little? I'm concerned she won't like that all of my activities aren't all together, the kids are able to rotate around to where they want to be during this time, with limits set on the number of children in each area, cleaning up before you move on..
I have a song for you that helps teach how to use books

sung to hi ho the dario Is that right?? lol

so you point to the front of the book. sing

this is the front of the book, this is the front of the book, high-ho library-o this is the front of the book.
let them wave their arms side to side in the front as they sing the verse high-ho libraio part.

sing the same for the back of the book, spine of the book.

then you can change it to the author writes the book, the author writes the book( use your pointer finger on one hand to make a pencil and the other hand lay flat like paper, pretend to write) sign vs high-ho librario the author rights the book

the illustrator draws, the illustrator draws ( hold finger in the air and pretend to paint)
high-ho libraio the illustrator draws..

you can even add in the copyright. I wear a watch and sing the copyright tells us when as I tap my watch. repeat twice and add in high-ho-librario at the end the copy right tells us when.

I also have a bag that I will hide an object in. I do this after I read. I will put something in it that relates to the book, like shoe lace, since you are reading about shoes.

I sing a song about what do you think is in my bag. Can you guess what it is? Then I let each child have a guess. We pull it out and show them what it is. Some may not know what it is so you tell them they are shoe laces.

Then you can ask the kids what do you use these for? Do you have any, what do you wo with them? Does anyone know how to tie them? Did you see them in the book, yes where? Get the kids involved in relating them to the book.

I do a similar curriculum and it's a 5 day read out loud. I also try to find words in the book and point those out too. Hey look he has a book....I will go back after we read and make sure we rhyme them, maybe even write them on the board.

I love your other ideas. I think you are going to do great...
Shell 05:12 PM 02-10-2015
What you have sounds great. You have a great book with a way for the kids to actively participate, you have math and art, your sensory stuff is great because it's heart themed- it's good to have a few different things. Deep breath- you can do this!
kendallina 05:49 PM 02-10-2015
I think what you have sounds great!
daycarediva 09:47 AM 02-11-2015
It went pretty well! I had to reschedule the time, and my wild child dcb was here. I only had 5 kids today, and all but 1 participated and did great. Unfortunately that ONE child was so wild my assessment mentioned it twice. Overall it was a good assessment though, I'll take it! and my wild child will NOT be here for the next one.
spinnymarie 11:38 AM 02-11-2015
Great job! Observations are always nerve-wracking, but after they're over it was usually a piece of cake! I love your lesson plan.
Shell 04:52 PM 02-11-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
It went pretty well! I had to reschedule the time, and my wild child dcb was here. I only had 5 kids today, and all but 1 participated and did great. Unfortunately that ONE child was so wild my assessment mentioned it twice. Overall it was a good assessment though, I'll take it! and my wild child will NOT be here for the next one.
with all you've had to deal with this week...you're incredible- I think I would have collapsed from all the stress!
daycare 04:59 PM 02-11-2015
I told you that you would do just fine!!!

I know we all stress for no reason at all....lol

you rock..

Mind me asking what the name of the program is that you are taking?
Reply Up