Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>As Crystal Would Say "Wow Just Wow"
nannyde 02:55 PM 12-10-2018
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...on/1114786002/
amberrose3dg 03:30 PM 12-10-2018

Michael 03:47 PM 12-10-2018
While I feel she should have gotten a 5 year prison sentence, if she showed true remorse in her understanding of the consequences of her drug addiction, then I see no greater punishment then her losing her child. If she doesn't stay clean, then she goes to jail for the original charges. Although I think her light sentence won't change her from making bad, dangerous decisions.
nannyde 04:40 PM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by Michael:
While I feel she should have gotten a 5 year prison sentence, if she showed true remorse in her understanding of the consequences of her drug addiction, then I see no greater punishment then her losing her child. If she doesn't stay clean, then she goes to jail for the original charges. Although I think her light sentence won't change her from making bad, dangerous decisions.
I have a hard time with the consequence of her loosing her child being considered as a portion of due punishment.

I don't think a parent should be charged any differently in the death or life altering injury of a child than a total stranger would be if said stranger c omitted the exact same act.

I think this mindset allows parents take dangerous risks with their child with confidence that because they are their child they can.

If this was any other non related caregiver they would be charged with murder. The baby is dead. It shouldn't matter the relationship with the caregiver.

She also had the extra abuse of breastfeeding a baby with coca in and weed in her system. Cocaine passes the placental barrier quickly and weed remains in the fat cells for a long time.

I wonder if she drove under the influence and killed her baby would the fact that she was punished enough with the loss of her child be taken into consideration in her sentencing?

I see this so much with positional asphyxiation. At some point we have to have the same expectation on proper placement in sleep as proper placement in car seats.
Josiegirl 02:07 AM 12-11-2018
Yes, even without the resulting death, that baby having cocaine in her system from a drug addicted mother, is cause enough for her to do jail time, IMO.
Losing a child is definitely a lifelong punishment but what if she's not remorseful? What if she goes on to have more children, only to have the same thing happen? What if....a hundred scenarios? And what if she gets off with a slap on the wrist? As opposed to doing jail time?
When is the government (OR SOMEONE????) going to step in and tell parents it's absolutely NOT okay to let your baby sleep with you, or in a car seat, etc.? Sure, we're all warned about it but then you have parents who feel bad when their child cries, so they're brought into bed to nurse and the parent falls asleep. Denial of such a thing ever happening to them can be deadly, even without cocaine in their system.
amberrose3dg 03:40 AM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I have a hard time with the consequence of her loosing her child being considered as a portion of due punishment.

I don't think a parent should be charged any differently in the death or life altering injury of a child than a total stranger would be if said stranger c omitted the exact same act.

I think this mindset allows parents take dangerous risks with their child with confidence that because they are their child they can.

If this was any other non related caregiver they would be charged with murder. The baby is dead. It shouldn't matter the relationship with the caregiver.

She also had the extra abuse of breastfeeding a baby with coca in and weed in her system. Cocaine passes the placental barrier quickly and weed remains in the fat cells for a long time.

I wonder if she drove under the influence and killed her baby would the fact that she was punished enough with the loss of her child be taken into consideration in her sentencing?

I see this so much with positional asphyxiation. At some point we have to have the same expectation on proper placement in sleep as proper placement in car seats.
If someone else did this they would be in jail a long time. That shouldn't matter. The mom had a duty to protect her child. I'm sorry but drugs are not an excuse. I get tired of hearing about addicts getting a break cause they cannot help it. Start throwing them in jail for the crime they commit which is murder and maybe it will be a wake up call to them to sober up.
Pestle 04:23 AM 12-11-2018
I know a family whose child came from a drug addicted parent. It has changed my perspective on jail time for drug use, because the child thrived when the mom was locked away and couldn't yank her chain during the supervised visits.

However, hard drugs can completely destroy a person's ability to reason. They can completely destroy a parent's ability to prioritize anyone, including their own child, over the next hit. Once they have made that first or willful choice to take the drugs, their ability to act under their own will is drastically diminished. Jail time/prison do not work as a deterrent in those cases. It's like expecting an infant to respond to threats of time out. Thei rdamaged brain simply doesn't work that way any more.
MomBoss 06:52 AM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:

Im not sure how I feel about this situation. The difference between the death of a child with a caregiver vs parent is that a caregiver, if legally licensed, has to have training on safe sleep. If a child dies with a caregiver they were being neglegent on purpose. A parent is not required to take classes and therefore may not know better. Also with the cocaine passing into breastmilk. It may be common sense to us, but nobody teaches new parents these things. I definantely believe she should be charged for possesion of drugs/intent to sell. But anything related to her baby, really could have been just an accident...
Just my opinion!!!
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
Im not sure how I feel about this situation. The difference between the death of a child with a caregiver vs parent is that a caregiver, if legally licensed, has to have training on safe sleep. If a child dies with a caregiver they were being neglegent on purpose. A parent is not required to take classes and therefore may not know better. Also with the cocaine passing into breastmilk. It may be common sense to us, but nobody teaches new parents these things. I definantely believe she should be charged for possesion of drugs/intent to sell. But anything related to her baby, really could have been just an accident...
Just my opinion!!!
A parent of a toddler that drowned in the family swimming pool a while back was quoted in a news article about it saying "Why didn't anyone tell us about the dangers of pools and toddlers? Why didn't the Pediatrician tell us before we left the hospital?"
Tags:article, death at daycare
Reply Up