Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need The Spark Back
Country Kids 06:21 PM 10-12-2011
I used to dearly dearly love my profession. This year has been a hard one for my family and I keep thinking that is part of it but I'm starting to wonder. I use to love teaching the little ones, seeing their faces light up, etc.. The ones I have now though I feel like I'm constantly referreing, redirecting, time-outs and the lists goes on.

Today topped it! One that has issues but nothing that can't be dealt with went over the top today at naptime. Didn't want to take a nap and it broke loose for two plus hours. I was kicked, slapped, split on, bit, hair pulled, glasses pulled off and more. All I could do was time out till I could get ahold of a parent.

The parent was so good about listening, very sorry for behavior, told me what they do but nothing I can do in childcare. Great parents but I think there is more to childs behavior than the age.

Anyway, I really don't want to open up tomorrow. I feel I'm not doing anything worthwhile for these kids because only 2 are very, very well behaved and I never have issues with them. What makes me mad is I never give up on things but I just feel defeted by a child. I know that working in the outside I would never have this happen.

I have had this child for about a year and there have been issues before but nothing like this. Please, please don't tell me everything I did wrong or what you would do. Just keep me in your prayers and I will find the strength to get up and get back to it tomorrow.

I want to really find the joy I use to have with this but I can't term all of my kids and start over. Not fesiable and not a smart choice. Also, like I said it isn't one child but several that are disruptive.

Thanks for just reading. It helps knowing there is a support group out there that even though you don't know them there are there for you.
Cat Herder 07:32 PM 10-12-2011
No advice.

No pep talk.

So... How about a "bad" joke??

Why was Tigger looking down the toilet???

He was looking for Pooh!!!

Courtesy of Pricess M; Age 6.
dave4him 07:38 PM 10-12-2011
Do you keep a journal? If you do its always a great help to look back at the early days to see the things which began in you to bring you joy. If you dont keep a journal start now by telling about those days I know how hard it is to keep up with one, i have had once since i was in high school, seems like the longer i have been married and the more children i have the greater the space goes between entries.
MyAngels 07:40 PM 10-12-2011
Thinking of you and hoping it will get better...(((hugs)))
pfund2233 07:46 PM 10-12-2011
Many many hugs to you!!! I feel the way you do myself some times... That's when we need a bottle of wine!
laundrymom 07:50 PM 10-12-2011
No advice,... But a big glass of chocolate milk and either fresh brownies,... Or chocolate chip cookies,... For breakfast,... Lol. Hope tomorrow is better
MsMe 08:36 PM 10-12-2011
You are not alone. I have also been feeling this way all year.

I have been having a really hard time with the group I have now.

I often wonder if I am looking at the past with 'rose colored' glasses bc I don't remember my past DCK ever acting the way these ones do.

I hope you feel better soon.
MamaBear 09:17 PM 10-12-2011
I know exactly how your feeling. My spark seems to be flickering for daycare lately. A couple weeks ago it just about went out. But after some serious consideration of if it would be better for me to throw in the towel or get thru this rut, I decided to try my darnedest to get my daycare groove back. I got a couple new kids to add to my mix and rearranged my daycare set up. That seemed to help me re-light my spark I guess.

I had to kind of take a step back and look at my daycare and my family & my life and see if its something I really want to continue doing. I have a great set of daycare kids right now and I'm being picky about who else I add to the mix so that my sanity will still stick around

I basically decided I will continue doing it and when my husband returns from his deployment next year summer time and then see how I feel then. For me, if I have a full house of "good" kids and parents - then I'm happy and can maintain my spark. When my daycare kid count is low or I have crappy parents, or awful kids it really brings me down.

So maybe if you just get rid of the kids that really bring you down and find new kids? Or if you take a vacation? I've got a vacation coming up and that seems to make my spark flicker a little brighter Good luck. I hope that you wake up tomorrow with a renewed love for daycare and ALL the kids respect you like crazy!
Tags:tired of daycare, vent, venting
Reply Up