Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This Will Be the Last Time
Unregistered 12:12 PM 09-09-2016
This will be the last time I enroll a child under 12mos. This baby literally cries all day if he's not being held. He sleeps maybe 30 mins the 9 hours he's in my care. I can tell my other dck's are miserable the days he's here too because again if he's not being held he's screaming. They want attention too.
happymom 12:14 PM 09-09-2016
=( there's a baby in my son's infant room like this right now. I feel so bad for everyone involved.

I'm sorry! Not all babies are bad!
Rockgirl 12:16 PM 09-09-2016
I've been there. It's hard.
Boymom 01:23 PM 09-09-2016
I'm in the same boat except I will no longer take kids under 18 months! Maybe even 2 years old!! I just don't have the patience for that age.
jenboo 01:27 PM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This will be the last time I enroll a child under 12mos. This baby literally cries all day if he's not being held. He sleeps maybe 30 mins the 9 hours he's in my care. I can tell my other dck's are miserable the days he's here too because again if he's not being held he's screaming. They want attention too.
Originally Posted by Boymom:
I'm in the same boat except I will no longer take kids under 18 months! Maybe even 2 years old!! I just don't have the patience for that age.
You guys are the ones who keep me in business!
I'm am under 2 daycare and I'm getting ready to up my license and expand.
Unregistered 01:35 PM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by Boymom:
So far I've had great luck with the one and over crew. It's just breaking in the infants that are use to being held all day. I can't do it and I refuse to baby wear. Never did it with any of my children and I'm not about to start now. Babies a adorable they really are but I like for them to be mobile and enjoy there time here.
Unregistered 01:41 PM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
You guys are the ones who keep me in business!
I'm am under 2 daycare and I'm getting ready to up my license and expand.
I don't see how you do it. You must have a great group of infants. I fed him, burped him, changed him put him down and he cried through me making lunch, washing up my other kids, help feeding my other ones, washing them up, changing their diapers and putting them down for their nap. I picked him up and immediately he stopped crying rinsed and repeat all of the steps above with him laid him down to nap and he started screaming all over again.
Unregistered 02:17 AM 09-11-2016
While I've never had the experience of an infant in care who cries all day I have gone to one year and up. I will on occasion take a nine month old.

I'd never live through extreme crying. It's tough enough with typical baby fussiness! I'm not doing the baby wearing thing either!

I hope things improve quickly for you!
sleepinghart 06:08 AM 09-12-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
There seems to be a lot of this going round these days...babies who cry 24//7 and demand to be held 24/7, etc.; I'm seeing more & more of it.
Blackcat31 06:50 AM 09-12-2016
I solved this issue by enrolling infants of current families or referrals from current families only.

That way the family KNOWS how I operate and what my expectations are. Referring a family is nice too because they share that info with the family. I am also lucky enough to be in the position at this point in the game that my program is in high demand so most families that get in want to stay in so they are great about meeting my expectations. If not, they rarely make it past the 2 week trial period.

Not all infants are tough and not all infants are held 24/7...I truly believe its all in how the PARENT prepares the infant. If the parent does not prepare the infant they aren't going to make it. The prepping IS WHERE IT'S AT.....if you can that through to the parent and they understand that infants are super easy (and I don't say that lightly because I am not a mushy over babies... )

The key really is, stressing to parents what THEY need to do BEFORE the infant can attend.

If they (parents) do their part.....our job is super easy.
finsup 08:37 AM 09-12-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I solved this issue by enrolling infants of current families or referrals from current families only.

That way the family KNOWS how I operate and what my expectations are. Referring a family is nice too because they share that info with the family. I am also lucky enough to be in the position at this point in the game that my program is in high demand so most families that get in want to stay in so they are great about meeting my expectations. If not, they rarely make it past the 2 week trial period.

Not all infants are tough and not all infants are held 24/7...I truly believe its all in how the PARENT prepares the infant. If the parent does not prepare the infant they aren't going to make it. The prepping IS WHERE IT'S AT.....if you can that through to the parent and they understand that infants are super easy (and I don't say that lightly because I am not a mushy over babies... )

The key really is, stressing to parents what THEY need to do BEFORE the infant can attend.

Yes! I enroll infants, quite often actually. I prefer to get them as little babies and keep them until school age. I will never do a part time infant again however. And if I hear the phrase "attachment parenting" or "baby wear" during the interview, I generally won't take them. My own baby (10m) and dcb (11m) are my super easy, adorable ones that keep me sane while my older kids are acting out lol. But it's all about how the parents get the child ready. I won't keep a child that screams all day, learned my lesson on that one the hard way! Good luck with this kiddo, hope it improves or you can replace soon!
Mike 08:40 AM 09-12-2016

That applies to any age, and it's no wonder it's getting harder to care for other people's children. Parents tend to be shifting more towards what's best for themselves than the children.
KiwiKids 02:48 PM 09-12-2016

Yes! I talk with moms about how to prepare for a GROUP daycare. The one time in recent years I didn't do that before hand, I ended up with a baby that did not belong in group care and the parents had no interest in making any changes to help the child adjust. So unfair to the baby
Ariana 02:59 PM 09-12-2016
I used to belong to a new mom forum and the amount of moms who would say "meh let the daycare handle it" was astounding. Everything from getting rid of the soother to sleep training was left for the daycare provider to do on their own. Never did I ever see a parent try to transition their child to my care even when asked months in advance. Luckily I only take 18mos and up so I can do it a bit easier. I cannot imagine an infant . These poor babies.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:29 AM 09-13-2016
I feel your pain! I had a baby that started last week. He cried most of the day, annoyed the other kids and only sleep about an hour all day (not the four hours mom and dad said he does).

Anyway, that was last week. This week is completely different. He must be getting more comfortable because he doesn't cry that much at all, slept 4 hours yesterday and seems to be better with the other kid's noises.

I did advise the parents to make sure the baby was around at least some ambient sounds, even at naptime, so that he wouldn't be easily disturbed while sleeping.

All in all, it is getting better.
Unregistered 10:45 AM 09-13-2016
It's been officially a month and his sleeping isn't improving. Last week he went a whole day without sleeping because he will only sleep if I'm holding him. As soon as I go to lay him down he screams. He never cries himself to sleep. Which means the whole day he was cranky and crying even when I held him because he was sleepy. When he would finally nod off in my arms I'd attempt to lay him dawn and he'd start yelling all over again. When I interviewed I asked mom how he sleeps at home and she said in his pack n play on his back. I explained to her how he must sleep here. Now I'm finding out he's still being swaddled and he co-sleeps. I'm gonna try out the cio method this week and give mom a printout on safe sleeping. Other than that I'm at a loss because by now I would have an infant on some sort of sleeping schedule and I'm fighting a losing battle. If it comes to it this will be the first time I've termed an infant but I don't know what else to do he's miserable and so I the other kids
Mike 05:03 PM 09-13-2016
Sounds like the mom isn't doing her part, so she's going to need a nanny instead.
Nurse Jackie 07:39 PM 09-13-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:
Sounds like the mom isn't doing her part, so she's going to need a nanny instead.
It's looking that way. We had a talk today so we'll see what happened
Reply Up