Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Halloween/Autumn Crafts
Josiegirl 02:32 PM 10-07-2016
I'm hosting a family potluck dinner 3 days before Halloween. I told the dcfs it'd be from 3:30-5:30(or whenever). I also told them I'd have some kind of project they could do together with their child/ren before we ate.

Now comes the problem.....I need some ideas. Has anyone done art or craft projects geared toward this time of year that they could do in 30 minutes with a minimum of fuss and set-up? Help??!! Please? Thank you!!
Unregistered 03:43 PM 10-07-2016
Cut leaf shapes from brown paper or brown paper bags. Lay out on newspaper and let kids paint or color with fall colors.

Or make pumpkins using brown paper lunch bags. Stuff with newspaper or any old paper. Twist the top, about 5" to make a stem, and they can attach green pipe cleaners if you want, for vines.
They can be colored with markers before stuffing or painted either before or after stuffing. Oh, they can paint or color the top 5" or so with green for the stem.
CalCare 06:41 PM 10-07-2016
Yarn or pipe cleaners put out with fall color beads.

A big basket of fall leaves, glue with brushes, recycled cardboard or construction paper for leaf collages.

A large piece of paper taped to a table with Fall color crayons to be used as a big group coloring project - later could be used as a table cloth for a special Fall event (or do this before your potluck and use these "table cloths" at your potluck).

A scientific area where you can place some Fall leaves, pinecones, seed pods in baskets or trays, then have magnifying glasses, a microscope if you have it, books about leaves and Fall (maybe from library if necessary), also you could include some pencils, rulers and small notebooks or paper here. Maybe make a sign above that says something like "Investigate! Observe! Record!" You could make enough little journals by just stapling a few blank pages together and write each child's name on them and title something about Fall: "Seasonal Changes in Fall" or something

If you have any sets of blocks or anything that has enough Fall ones to separate out and use alone. Like a small station with just the red, orange and yellow whatevers (mega blocks, pillows, stuffed animals, foam blocks, whatever would be clearly Fall colors).

A sensory bin of Fall leaves with plastic bugs in it.

All of these are easy to clean and maintain at an event. I, myself definitely favor having just simple supplies out. With crafts all the kids are going to do is try their hardest to make what an adult thought of. I feel like these examples walk the line - easy to deal with while still giving some freedom of choice.
Nurse Jackie 07:02 PM 10-07-2016
I bought wooden Halloween theme shapes from the dollar section at target to paint (witch hats, pumpkins, cats and I think they have skulls too) I'm not the creative type so I chose something easy to do.
Josiegirl 03:40 AM 10-08-2016
Such good ideas! Love it when the word easy is mentioned.
Thanks!!

I would give up my big toe to have a Target or Michael's within a 10 minute drive. I think the nearest ones are at least 60 miles.
Nurse Jackie 07:42 AM 10-08-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Such good ideas! Love it when the word easy is mentioned.
Thanks!!

I would give up my big toe to have a Target or Michael's within a 10 minute drive. I think the nearest ones are at least 60 miles.
I would lose my mind if I didn't have a target near me. I'm addicted! I will say I have gotten better
daycare 07:56 AM 10-08-2016
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Yarn or pipe cleaners put out with fall color beads.

A big basket of fall leaves, glue with brushes, recycled cardboard or construction paper for leaf collages.

A large piece of paper taped to a table with Fall color crayons to be used as a big group coloring project - later could be used as a table cloth for a special Fall event (or do this before your potluck and use these "table cloths" at your potluck).

A scientific area where you can place some Fall leaves, pinecones, seed pods in baskets or trays, then have magnifying glasses, a microscope if you have it, books about leaves and Fall (maybe from library if necessary), also you could include some pencils, rulers and small notebooks or paper here. Maybe make a sign above that says something like "Investigate! Observe! Record!" You could make enough little journals by just stapling a few blank pages together and write each child's name on them and title something about Fall: "Seasonal Changes in Fall" or something

If you have any sets of blocks or anything that has enough Fall ones to separate out and use alone. Like a small station with just the red, orange and yellow whatevers (mega blocks, pillows, stuffed animals, foam blocks, whatever would be clearly Fall colors).

A sensory bin of Fall leaves with plastic bugs in it.

All of these are easy to clean and maintain at an event. I, myself definitely favor having just simple supplies out. With crafts all the kids are going to do is try their hardest to make what an adult thought of. I feel like these examples walk the line - easy to deal with while still giving some freedom of choice.
I love all of your ideas.

we had a party last year, we set up 8 tables with different activities similar to what you are suggesting.

we had a paint your parents face booth, the kids loved that one.

photo booth

frame workshop, supplied photo frames and tons of stickers to make a frame. Later in the week I printed out the pictures from our party and put one of each family in their child's photo frame. cost was less than .75 cents per picture and frame.

pumpkin discovery, we cut open a HUGE pumpkin, supplied everything to explore inside of it. The boys loved this one the most.

we had little pumpkins you could paint, kids are not good with knives yet, so we offered all kinds of supplies to decorate the outside of a pumpkin. Glitter seemed to be a favorite.

I guess it would depend if you are having it inside or outside?

I love target too, i flip out when I get in line and realize i forgot my target card because i want that 5% discount...lol
Tags:crafts, fall season - craft ideas, halloween -crafts
Reply Up