Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hair
fctjc1979 01:51 PM 06-23-2010
My 16-month-old daughter is absolutely fascinated by the three dcg's hair. Their dad is from Africa and their mom is white so they have the curly hair but it grows long. It catches my baby's eye, especially when they have braids and beads. She start touching it and playing with it. This really bothers the dcgs because sometimes it hurts and even if it doesn't hurt, it's still pretty annoying to have someone feeling your head while you're trying to play.

I've tried distracting her, firmly and repeatedly telling her no and removing her hands, slapping her hands, putting her in her bouncy seat (of course now she can pull herself out of that), and moving the dcgs to doing activities at the table where she can't reach them.

I think this one goes beyond just natural curiosity. Like I said, she's completely fascinated by their hair. I understand her fascination but also understand why it would totally bug the dcgs. Does anybody have any other suggestions?
jen 02:59 PM 06-23-2010
Not-a-one...it is pretty cute though...

Well, maybe one...do you think you might be able to find her a doll with similar hair?

I think once the novelty has worn off she'll leave dcg alone!
sahm2three 03:01 PM 06-23-2010
Gosh, I can't think of any thing else. This age can be pretty hard, because they just don't quite understand and you can't reason with them. Just redirection, and I would say keeping the girls up so that your daughter can't get to their hair would be best until the fascination dissolves. I have an 18 month old in care and he is obsessed with closing doors. So if a bedroom or bathroom door gets left open, he goes inside and shuts the door. If I don't hear him do this and I am cooking or whatever, I am then on a hunt for him. Kids! Good luck!
fctjc1979 03:04 PM 06-23-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
Not-a-one...it is pretty cute though...

Well, maybe one...do you think you might be able to find her a doll with similar hair?

I think once the novelty has worn off she'll leave dcg alone!
That's a really good idea. I've been wanting to get her a doll anyway since she's been trying to play with her older sister's dolls. Thanks for the idea.
Childminder 05:41 PM 06-23-2010
I am white and take care of black babies that won't leave my hair or the other kids(especially blonds alone). It's just natural curiosity. It too shall pass.
fctjc1979 09:04 PM 06-23-2010
At this point, I think I'm going to have to seperate them if if starts to happen. The dc girls are normally very well behaved and I don't normally have any problems with them other than the normal sibling rivalry and even that is very mild. But they are starting to get really irritated with having their heads constantly bothered. One of them actually pushed her off the furniture today. It was an accident; she was just trying to get her to quit messing with her head. They've all been pushing her away a lot lately and it's just a real shame because, other than that, they get along really great.
Tags:hair
Reply Up