Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who Pays for Assistant CPR/First Aid?
sammys 07:00 PM 12-04-2013
I am in the process of hiring an assistant (group home daycare) and I was wondering who pays for the CPR/First Aid/BBP?

Do you as the provider pay or do you make the assistant pay once hired?

And also, for an assistant, whats the "trial period"? Like do you give them 2 weeks, 30 days to see whether or not its a fit?
Annalee 07:14 PM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by sammys:
I am in the process of hiring an assistant (group home daycare) and I was wondering who pays for the CPR/First Aid/BBP?

Do you as the provider pay or do you make the assistant pay once hired?

And also, for an assistant, whats the "trial period"? Like do you give them 2 weeks, 30 days to see whether or not its a fit?
I pay for my assistant and/or subs first aid and CPR. I rarely use a sub, but I like to have my ducks in a row just in case with licensing.
MNMum 07:17 PM 12-04-2013
I pay all the class fees, but not for her time to attend them.
lovemylife 07:39 PM 12-04-2013
Everywhere I have seen the provider pays the fees. I have heard of 1 provider that has a 30 day trial period and if the assistant is to quit in that 30 days then they must reimburse the provider for the class fees. If the provider terminated then the assistant does not have to reimburse.

I'm a little on the fence about that.
jenboo 09:40 PM 12-04-2013
When i was an assistant at a home daycare i paid for the class and background check. After 30 days, the provider reimbursed me since i was still working there.
SSWonders 03:26 AM 12-05-2013
I pay them for my assistants. As for trial periods, I never thought about that. I've always hired close friends and family.
snbauser 06:18 AM 12-05-2013
I always had a 60 day trial period. I always had them give me their receipts for the background check, cpr/first aid, etc. If they were still here after their trial period I reimbursed them. When I first started out I paid upfront. But then if they didn't work out I was out the money I paid AND they could take that training that they had and use it to apply somewhere else AND I had to pay for someone else to take it. It was much easier this way than to try and collect it from them if they left.
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I always had a 60 day trial period. I always had them give me their receipts for the background check, cpr/first aid, etc. If they were still here after their trial period I reimbursed them. When I first started out I paid upfront. But then if they didn't work out I was out the money I paid AND they could take that training that they had and use it to apply somewhere else AND I had to pay for someone else to take it. It was much easier this way than to try and collect it from them if they left.
I don't have an assistant or an employee but if I did, this ^^^ is how I would handle it too.

Certain jobs have certain requirements and I would not want to pay for someone to get certified in something to use somewhere else if I wasn't sure they were going to make it past the 60 day trial period.
saved4always 01:12 PM 12-05-2013
I worked for a center for a year and we had to get CPR certified and background checked with fingerprints. We were required to pay for our own classes and for the background check. The rational was that the certifications are ours to take with us if we left the center. I am not sure if the background checks are transferable...I am thinking not?.....but we paid for our own.
Reply Up