Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Close?
Growing1atime 03:07 PM 10-23-2011
I am in a strange situation. I started my daycare because things got really tight financially. I have enjoyed starting my own business. I have also enjoyed making money again. (I hadn't worked for 10 years due to having children of my own and my husband being able to financially support us.)

Two months ago my husband was able to get a new job. His new salary is much higher (smiles). In fact it is more then the income I am bringing in.

But you know how it is. It is hard to let go of income. I look at the budget and the tax benefits of own a home business and see reasons to stay open.

Then I look at the four children I have. My own children. Ages 1-8, and think how nice it would be to go back to having it just be us again. Also, my 5 year old son is autistic. He asks me every morning if it is a Daycare day or not. He senses the difference of the days.

Just looking for what some of you would do. Not sure right now. Not making any decisions anytime soon, just looking at it from a mom point of view and also as a person that finally feels like they are contributing financially to my family once again!

Thanks!
sharlan 03:19 PM 10-23-2011
Take the time to make a list of the pros and cons. Be honest with yourself, discuss it with your husband. Take the time to evaluate your options, then make a decision.

I partially shut down for 5 years. It was a move I needed to make.
LittleCrawfishCC 03:50 PM 10-23-2011
I agree with Sharlan...You have to do what is right for your family.
Kaddidle Care 04:21 PM 10-23-2011
I triple that notion. As they age out, perhaps don't replace. That way the loss of income will be gradual.
kendallina 04:56 PM 10-23-2011
Obviously, as you know, only you can decide what to do for your family. Personally, if my husband were able to completely (and comfortably) financially support us, I would still run my preschool, but I would probably cut back one child per day, which would ease some 'stress' during difficult times with the kiddos and I think my own DD would like the preschool better plus I'd still be contributing financially and feel fulfilled by owning my own business, etc.

It sounds like you really enjoy doing daycare...would you consider just cutting back on the number of children to free yourself up for your own children more? Or just doing part-time care?

Good luck in whatever decision you make!
cheerfuldom 05:29 PM 10-23-2011
I would quit in a heartbeat if given the chance but that is what would be right for me....I like the list idea. good luck!
wdmmom 07:43 PM 10-23-2011
Given the way the economy is and has remained for the past couple years, I would remain open. People are constantly being laid off, dropped down to part time, jobs eliminated, jobs sent overseas, etc. I might cut back, only take on a few kids rather than a full group, cut hours, etc but not close permanently.
Growing1atime 08:56 PM 10-23-2011
Thank you all so much. I am going to start my pros and cons list tonight.

I like the idea of cutting back and cutting the stress. But then I see it as why continue if I am not going to be making money. I still have to keep my house clean and safe, provide all the same care and spend the money on crafts and all that.

I feel like it is do it or don't.

I have a lot of thinking and figuring out to do.
dave4him 08:59 PM 10-23-2011
[quote=Growing1atime;157815] But then I see it as why continue if I am not going to be making money.QUOTE]

You would continue making a difference!
safechner 05:49 AM 10-24-2011
I would say it is up to you to make a huge decision. It it were me, I would downsized the daycare children or closed so you will be able to help more with your autistic son because he needs more than anything else. Your family come first. I would do the same thing.

I have a daughter who has PDDNOS on Autism Spectrum. I work with her everyday to help her learn better. She goes to a private school but I work with her to keep on track.

Good Luck!
Growing1atime 09:57 AM 10-24-2011
To add fuel to the fire....

1. My three year old dd woke up with 103 fever. I already had 2 dck here and didn't know if I should call their mom to come back. I decided to and she said just to keep them, since they were already exposed and I keep her in a different room. But now I am working from the family room to the daycare room.

2. This morning one of my dcb's came in and mom had news about his health screening. He has an infection in his digestive track that is causing him to not grow. It is passed only through stool handling.

Thank Goodness I ALWAYS wear gloves to change diapers.

After they left I was in tears. I called my husband and he was upset too. I am feeling better now. I know it goes with the territory of having a daycare. I have had a couple of highly contagious diseases come through in the last year and half of operation.

But these are the days where I ask myself: Is it worth this? Is the money worth this?
kendallina 10:06 AM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by Growing1atime:
To add fuel to the fire....

1. My three year old dd woke up with 103 fever. I already had 2 dck here and didn't know if I should call their mom to come back. I decided to and she said just to keep them, since they were already exposed and I keep her in a different room. But now I am working from the family room to the daycare room.

2. This morning one of my dcb's came in and mom had news about his health screening. He has an infection in his digestive track that is causing him to not grow. It is passed only through stool handling.

Thank Goodness I ALWAYS wear gloves to change diapers.

After they left I was in tears. I called my husband and he was upset too. I am feeling better now. I know it goes with the territory of having a daycare. I have had a couple of highly contagious diseases come through in the last year and half of operation.

But these are the days where I ask myself: Is it worth this? Is the money worth this?

1. It is OK to demand that a child with a fever goes home. Children who are sick need to be with their parents and exposure to yourself and other children needs to be eliminated. Now what happens if you get sick because you took care of this sick child? You have to close your daycare and lose money?? It doesn't seem right, mom should have come to get her child.

2. About the child's infection...do you know the name of what the boy has?? It's contagious?? Is this an ongoing problem that the little guy has or something that's treatable. If he has a contagious infection then he shouldn't be in daycare either.

It sounds like there is a lot of added stress that doesn't have to be stress. I don't blame you at all for wanting to get out of childcare when you have these problems. I would make it simple: if your child is contagious or has a fever when not on medication, they can't be here.
Growing1atime 10:12 AM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
1. It is OK to demand that a child with a fever goes home. Children who are sick need to be with their parents and exposure to yourself and other children needs to be eliminated. Now what happens if you get sick because you took care of this sick child? You have to close your daycare and lose money?? It doesn't seem right, mom should have come to get her child.

2. About the child's infection...do you know the name of what the boy has?? It's contagious?? Is this an ongoing problem that the little guy has or something that's treatable. If he has a contagious infection then he shouldn't be in daycare either.

It sounds like there is a lot of added stress that doesn't have to be stress. I don't blame you at all for wanting to get out of childcare when you have these problems. I would make it simple: if your child is contagious or has a fever when not on medication, they can't be here.

Sorry I didn't make that very clear. The child with the fever is my child. By the time she got up, two of my early bird daycare children were already here. I called their mom to tell them that my daughter was sick and give her the choice to come and pick up her twins.

RE: the dcb with the infection, she told me the name but I forgot it. I have texted her asking the name. But she is a nurse and probably in surgery. The infection is only contagious through stool contamination according to her. But he has had it for three months they think.
kendallina 10:52 AM 10-24-2011
Originally Posted by Growing1atime:
Sorry I didn't make that very clear. The child with the fever is my child. By the time she got up, two of my early bird daycare children were already here. I called their mom to tell them that my daughter was sick and give her the choice to come and pick up her twins.

RE: the dcb with the infection, she told me the name but I forgot it. I have texted her asking the name. But she is a nurse and probably in surgery. The infection is only contagious through stool contamination according to her. But he has had it for three months they think.
LOL...well, I guess you can't send her away then! Sorry I misunderstood...

Wow- 3 months on the stool infection. I wonder what is it and if it's treatable...
pixsydust 01:21 PM 10-24-2011
I'm going through sort of the same thing. My DC was full which was nice because we needed the income. But when school started I lost all of my kids. So I lost all of my income. Luckily, my husband got a promotion and a substantial raise, which will cover all our bills, living expenses, etc. I have been contemplating closing (we would like to have another child) but I decided to stay open and only keep a few kids as they come. As of right now, I only have 1 DCB and I only have him every other Mon, Thurs and Fri. I'm open for more but all the DC's in my area are suffering, not just me. I don't want anymore than 2 or 3 kids. It's a great tax deduction just like you said and with my husband's increased salary it bumped him up to a higher tax bracket so we need all the deductions we can get. My advice, just talk it over with your husband and make the right decision for your family. I wish you well and hope you come to a decision that makes you all happy.
AmyLeigh 07:10 PM 10-25-2011
I am in a similar situation. There are those days when I think, "I don't need the money, don't need the stress, I'm done!" (Like today!)

What my plan for now is to continue with the children I have until they age out. Thankfully, that will be 2 out of the 3 full timers. One may continue to be with me after school next year, since his brother comes after school. That will be fine. They are the two that cause the most drama, anyway. Then I can focus on my own 3, whom I am home-schooling.

With the income I am receiving I am working on paying off my car early. That's the last debt we have other than the house. After that, all of my income will go directly into savings to create a good sized emergency fund.
Michael 07:16 PM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
I am in a similar situation. There are those days when I think, "I don't need the money, don't need the stress, I'm done!" (Like today!)

What my plan for now is to continue with the children I have until they age out. Thankfully, that will be 2 out of the 3 full timers. One may continue to be with me after school next year, since his brother comes after school. That will be fine. They are the two that cause the most drama, anyway. Then I can focus on my own 3, whom I am home-schooling.

With the income I am receiving I am working on paying off my car early. That's the last debt we have other than the house. After that, all of my income will go directly into savings to create a good sized emergency fund.
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum AmyLeigh! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.
Tags:close daycare, economy, husband - helping out, income, second floor
Reply Up