Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do I Charge?
Bizzymom1111 07:07 AM 08-31-2010
Hi everybody! I just have a question, and need some input! I have a family who brought their daughter to me for two weeks. Care was suspended at that time bbecause the mother could not pay me her share of the weekly charges( she has county assistance) I'm upset because at the interview, she knew how much the county would cover, and my charges are higher than what the county will cover, and we discussed what her amount would be. After I gave her the first invoice, she called me to ask if she could pay me on the 1st of September.( this was around august 12th.) I was not comfortable providing care for her without pay, and since it was such a new client, I had no payment history with her to know if she would actually pay me.

My question is, should I only charge her her portion of the two weeks, or should she be charged for the other weeks she did not come? We have a signed contract that states that she pays even if the child does not attend, but I haven't had this kind of situation come up where care was suspended by me so I'm not sure what is fair. What do y'all do in this kind of situation? Also, I'm not even sure if she'll even be bringing her child her anymore because she started school. Should I let her come back?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
missnikki 07:27 AM 08-31-2010
When this kind of thing happens to me, I try once to get the full amount. If the parent comes and talks to me, I am much more flexible, as they are truly trying to work something out. If they ignore me, I go full collections on their a$$.
I guess it depends on the amount of effort you are willing to put into sticking to your guns.
Lilbutterflie 07:28 AM 08-31-2010
Hmmm. I'm a little unclear about when she started with you, and if she's paid you anything at all yet, but here's how I have interpreted what you said:
She started Aug 1, without paying you, you watched her child for two weeks when she told you she could not pay until 9-1. Therefore, you suspended childcare and have not had her the last two weeks. Is this right?
If this is the case, you could give her an option.
1- Pay for the two weeks you did watch her child, with two weeks worth of late fees added to the total.
2- Pay for the entire month of August, regardless of the fact you did not watch her child. It was not your fault you had to suspend childcare.
I don't know what your contract says, but stick to your contract. If you have provided two weeks worth of care without being paid, I would go with the first option. She knew ahead of time what she was responsible for paying, and should be held responsible for that pay plus all late fees.
Bizzymom1111 07:39 AM 08-31-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
Hmmm. I'm a little unclear about when she started with you, and if she's paid you anything at all yet, but here's how I have interpreted what you said:
She started Aug 1, without paying you, you watched her child for two weeks when she told you she could not pay until 9-1. Therefore, you suspended childcare and have not had her the last two weeks. Is this right?
If this is the case, you could give her an option.
1- Pay for the two weeks you did watch her child, with two weeks worth of late fees added to the total.
2- Pay for the entire month of August, regardless of the fact you did not watch her child. It was not your fault you had to suspend childcare.
I don't know what your contract says, but stick to your contract. If you have provided two weeks worth of care without being paid, I would go with the first option. She knew ahead of time what she was responsible for paying, and should be held responsible for that pay plus all late fees.
she started July 27 and her last day was august 6th. I was paid by the county for the two weeks, but the county did not cover all the charges. She owes me around $50 dollars for those two weeks. Now, I can't charge the county for the weeks she was not here, because I suspended care. So i'm actually out $480 for the last three weeks she was not here. Do I charge her for that? I'm out alot of mone because the dcm could not pay $25/week.
Unregistered 07:49 AM 08-31-2010
I had the same problem with a CCIS client. Early in the summer she had three children here. After receiving her first invoice, she realized she could not pay. This was weeks after I discussed the pricing and difference between what CCIS would pay and she would be responsible for on top of her copay. She pulled kid number 1 after 2 days. I give everyone a "Mulligan." Later in the summer she pulled kids 2 and 3 after giving her two week notice. I found out later from CCIS that she had transferred 2 & 3 to another provider and CCIS would not pay after only one week notice. She was promptly sent a letter and updated invoice for the difference. I am sure that I will have to take her to court to get paid. If you feel you explained your policies thoroughly, then take her to court. You could have had another family in that spot that was paying and following all of your policies. It does get exhausting dealing with these people!
thatgagirl 11:09 AM 08-31-2010
have you talked to her since you suspended her
Lucy 11:13 AM 08-31-2010
My thoughts are that you can't get blood out of a turnip. I think you should just charge for the time the child was there. Cut your losses and get out. Learn from it for next time. So sorry this happened to you. I was suckered by a sob story once and I could just kick myself. I believed this lady and her hard-luck stories. Was supposed to pay weekly, and I let her go 3 weeks with no pay. Started checking on her and she had lied on her enrollment forms regarding address, phone number, employment, everything. I lost out BAD. This was years ago - early on in my Daycare career - and believe me, I LEARNED FROM IT!!!! Again, so sorry you got the inevitable flake. It sucks.
Lilbutterflie 11:15 AM 08-31-2010
Originally Posted by Bizzymom1111:
she started July 27 and her last day was august 6th. I was paid by the county for the two weeks, but the county did not cover all the charges. She owes me around $50 dollars for those two weeks. Now, I can't charge the county for the weeks she was not here, because I suspended care. So i'm actually out $480 for the last three weeks she was not here. Do I charge her for that? I'm out alot of mone because the dcm could not pay $25/week.
That is such a bummer! I personally don't think it's completely fair to charge the entire $480 you are out, b/c you are the one who suspended care. If you had kept her child the entire time, you could have charged the county for the four weeks, then charge her the amount she owes plus all late fees. Oh well, that's all in hindsight. But, you could charge a "holding fee" since you were holding the spot. I've seen a lot providers charge full or half price for holding the spot. Plus, charge the $50 she owes already plus all late fees added to that.
DCMomOf3 11:34 AM 08-31-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
That is such a bummer! I personally don't think it's completely fair to charge the entire $480 you are out, b/c you are the one who suspended care. If you had kept her child the entire time, you could have charged the county for the four weeks, then charge her the amount she owes plus all late fees. Oh well, that's all in hindsight. But, you could charge a "holding fee" since you were holding the spot. I've seen a lot providers charge full or half price for holding the spot. Plus, charge the $50 she owes already plus all late fees added to that.
I think I'd charge her the $50/week for the time she brought her kids and for the 2 weeks she wasn't there, but not the price you would have been subsidized. That would be $200 for the 4 weeks.
Bizzymom1111 09:10 PM 08-31-2010
Originally Posted by thatgagirl:
have you talked to her since you suspended her
Yes I have, and she has always responded, so I think I'll just charge her the $50. Man, with everything you learn with each client, I swear I could rewrite my policy everyday! Thanks everyone for all the input. This forum is such a great group of providers. It's a great resource for a newer provider like me! Thanks again!!
Unregistered 06:09 AM 09-02-2010
I did subsidy one time I had the Mother pay her co pay up front before care was provided it was like 140 a month and the state paid the rest I hate waiting a whole month to get my money so I decided I wouldnt take the subsidy anymore and never did.
Tags:charging
Reply Up