Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Getting Frustrated.....
tenderhearts 01:58 PM 12-20-2010
I lost 2 kids in November 2 weeks of each other, both I had no idea would leave. One family the mom and dad are getting divorced he stopped paying her money so she couldn't afford it but is hoping she'll return around february which she knows I will not and cannot keep the spot open for her, the other mom was laid off. Talk about a huge blow, both were full time. I haven't had to fill many spots for quite awhile but I've been advertising offering a special and all I get is infant calls (full on infant spots). If I don't get any kids soon, I may need to look for a second job and I don't want to do that. I think this isn't a great time of year for people to look for daycare, hoping after the New Year I'll start getting some calls, anyone else dealing with this??? I'm getting nervous.
momma2girls 02:10 PM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I lost 2 kids in November 2 weeks of each other, both I had no idea would leave. One family the mom and dad are getting divorced he stopped paying her money so she couldn't afford it but is hoping she'll return around february which she knows I will not and cannot keep the spot open for her, the other mom was laid off. Talk about a huge blow, both were full time. I haven't had to fill many spots for quite awhile but I've been advertising offering a special and all I get is infant calls (full on infant spots). If I don't get any kids soon, I may need to look for a second job and I don't want to do that. I think this isn't a great time of year for people to look for daycare, hoping after the New Year I'll start getting some calls, anyone else dealing with this??? I'm getting nervous.
This is what it is like here as well. I would say in the past 2 yrs. all I receive are newborns or not born yet calls, wanting me to hold a spot for them, for a long period of time, etc.....
AfterSchoolMom 02:27 PM 12-20-2010
I have received NO calls. I'd love an infant call. This must really be a crappy time of year.
Michael 02:39 PM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I have received NO calls. I'd love an infant call. This must really be a crappy time of year.
Did we give you a listing on Daycare.com? I know this time of year is really slow. Jan 1st it starts to get busy.
MommyMuffin 03:44 PM 12-20-2010
If it makes you feel better I have been advertising for 24 months and up for about 2 months now I have recieved ZERO emails or calls. I dont technically need the extra income but I was just looking for some security.

I think it is a really hard time and I think that when the new year rolls around things may change.
tenderhearts 04:21 PM 12-20-2010
Thanks, I sure hope so. My name is out in my area and it is easily found on the web so I know people who are searching will find it, I just am not getting the right calls. It's like all older kids have dropped off the face of the earth over here and there are only infants left. I sure hope the new year will bring some calls.
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:01 PM 12-20-2010
Same thing here. Since April or May of this year all we get are infant calls, if even that...and we don't want to take them that young. We focus primarily on toddlers and preschoolers. We'd even take on some before/afterschoolers if we got any calls for them... I sure hope January brings in more children!
momma2girls 05:13 PM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I would send them all your way if I could!!
Bizzymom1111 08:50 PM 12-20-2010
I currently don't have ANY dckids. I've just updated all my info on the resource and referral site in my area, put another ad on craigslist, and I haven't had ANY calls even. not sure what's going on around here! Hang in there though!
QualiTcare 11:26 PM 12-20-2010
I'm not doing daycare anymore. I stopped earlier in the year bc I decided to become a RN. However, my first degree is in early childhood and I have a license to teach pre-K through 3rd grade.

Since I'm only taking one class next semester (it's the only class I need), I thought I would post an ad offering childcare (NOT a full blown daycare) and offered to do it for almost HALF of what I did it for when I was doing childcare full force. I figured I could keep one child (maybe two) just for some extra $ and some sense of purpose since my load is light at the moment.

I have several years experience working with children in various settings, I'm CPR certified, I'm a teacher, and I'm a mother. I had NO problems getting children before even though I charged double what I advertised this time. Of course, I didn't try as hard this time and I relied on word of mouth before vs. Craigslist.

Still, I got ONE reply to my ad - almost a month after I posted it. By that time, I had changed my mind. I decided to take a CNA course just to get out of the house and get into a hospital so I can gain some experience (we'll see how that goes).

It's not just you. Trust me.
gbcc 04:36 AM 12-21-2010
I have been advertising since August and I have not rec'd a single call. I have lost 4 families because of divorce or layoffs. It's terrible. I have even offered evening and wkend care to get me through but no calls. I'm on the verge of loosing my car and my house is next. It's just my income so I have no one to fall back on. I have been doing this for 5 years and have never had more than one spot open and filled it within wks. Just over the wkend I applied for a second job.
dEHmom 05:46 AM 12-21-2010
Well, I've been advertising, get tons of calls/emails, mostly for unborn children, but whatever.

People arrange interviews, or phone just for pricing etc, and then you never hear from them again.

Now I've posted my rates on the advertisements, avoid some of the wasted time.
tenderhearts 07:18 AM 12-21-2010
I get mostly infant calls and my ad clearly states 2 & up, so they don't obviously read it, or are hoping. I do get calls also for very part time like 1 day a week only 3 hours, not even worth it and it takes up a spot. I hope the new year brings in some calls, I'm getting worried too. I've never had this happen.
Tags:economy, losing spots
Reply Up