Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Child Afraid of Everyone
dice401 08:28 AM 04-05-2010
Hello,

I have a 1 yo boy that just started last week. I've had kids that have needed time to adjust to coming to a new daycare, but this one takes the cake! He is afraid of every other child in my daycare! He is the first one here everyone morning and does great until my daughter wakes up, then he starts with the screaming and crying and trying to have me pick him up. It gets even worse once the other children arrive. He spends the majority of his day crying and sitting on my lap. If a child comes up to me (even my own children) he freaks out even more and tries to climb higher on me. If I have to leave the room to put my daughter to bed, or answer the phone or anything he acts like I just chopped off his arm! He even does it when I walk around the room!!

I really don't know what to do. I've never had a child like this. I can't have him sitting on my lap all day every day. I've talked to his mom about it and she seems shocked by it. She said at his other daycare he was fine, never cried at all. Is it because I have more children closer to his age???

Any and all advice would be graciously accepted!!

Thank you!
safechner 01:17 PM 04-05-2010
Ummm....it sounds like he is afraid near the children because it may something happens in other daycare. Maybe some children hurt him before, who knows. Have u spoken with his previous provider about his behavior in daycare? I think it might helpful to find more information.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:50 PM 04-05-2010
I know this sounds mean..but stop letting him sit on your lap...well limit it a lot because they do need to feel a bit secure, but if they get used to it, the crying won't stop. The new boy I took in over a month ago cried and cried..he stopped when I picked him up but it was getting excessive..so I just let him go...let him cry it out.

He is sooooo much better today...he's playing with the other kids and not crying nearly as much. It really does work!! I didn't think it would at the time, but he got it..he got used to everyone and my daycare and is loving it!!
Tags:1 year old, anxiety, fear
Reply Up