Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Unexpected Dilemma
AfterSchoolMom 09:08 AM 06-08-2012
Today is the baby's last day for the summer. At drop off, DCD tells me that they'd like to continue in the fall, and that DCM will discuss it with me this evening. I wasn't expecting that at all, because until today they hadn't mentioned it.

I'm due to have my own baby the first week of school, and my plan was to go back to SA's after a couple of weeks. I'm not at all sure I can handle a newborn and a toddler at the same time. I know some of you ladies do it all the time, but I try not to have mixed ages for my own sanity, lol. Plus, I haven't had my own baby for many years (there's a very large gap between this baby and my youngest) and I don't know how my body will react to sleepless nights, breastfeeding, etc.

On the other hand, the baby is a total love and is super easy right now (don't know how a summer at home will change that though), and this DCF is FANTASTIC - the best family I've ever had. I don't feel prepared to make a decision today by pick up time, because I've been under the impression for months that they weren't coming back!

What would you do in my situation?
Blackcat31 09:13 AM 06-08-2012
If I were you, I would not make any type of committment to this family and leave it open for further discussion later on.

Like you said you have no idea how you are going to be after the birth of your own baby. I also think that selfishly, I would want to spend the alone time with my own baby and continue doing SA care since it does work well for you.

That really is the ideal situation for you to be able to bond with your own child and get all the perks of being a daycare provider with your own small children.

I think that a toddler would need a bit more socialization than what you would be able to offer in the fall with only your own newborn and SA kids.

....lol! at first, I was trying to say that you should leave it open and not commit at all and see how it goes but now after reading what I wrote and thinking a bit, I would decline now and spend the time ALONE with my own baby.
cheerfuldom 09:19 AM 06-08-2012
I would say that you will give a trial run after your maternity leave. You could always see if you like it and if it is really not working, just let them go. If they dont want to take the chance and want a firm commitment, then they have all summer to look for childcare elsewhere.
Unregistered 10:17 AM 06-08-2012
All clients that are not 12 month attendees need to provide notice by April 15 if they plan to return in the fall. If they haven't said anything until today, invite them to contact you 2 weeks before they are needing care and you'll discuss it at that time.
Reply Up