Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Providing Lunch vs. Having Kids Bring Own Lunches
LeslieG 11:05 AM 11-07-2013
For those of you that make lunch for your daycare kids, when do you make it?

I have only been a provider for a couple year now but I've never wanted to deal with lunch. Do you make it when the kids are there, or do you have it already pre made? How much money do you spend on food? Do you have picky eaters?

I feel like I've had so many picky eaters in the last couple of years, so I'm really glad that I haven't had to make them lunch.. I find it easier for them to bring a lunch from home (since their parents will usually pack them what they like).

While I prefer to have them bring lunches, I sometimes wonder if parents would rather I just made them lunch. So what are the pros and cons of preparing lunch for your daycare kids?
kelsey's kids 11:36 AM 11-07-2013
I enjoy making the lunches and for most of the kids it introduces them to foods they would never try other wise. And if they dont like they just done eat so the picky Ness goes away quickly. I make lunch while the kids color or play in the living room. Sometimes my older ones will be outside babies p l ay inside as I leave the door open and have a huge picture Window facing the play yard. (My state allows children within sight or sound) I have had several parents switch to me from another provider that doesnt serve food because it is easier for them to not pack lunch breakfast snack ect. I have a 12 limit capacity but normally have around 6 to 8 at a time. I pend about 500 a month on food that includes all meals and snack for my own family also and get reimbursement from the food program for about 1000. So it definitely bennifits me to serve food to the kids while also bennifits them.
melilley 11:54 AM 11-07-2013
I provide lunches. Our lunch is between 11:30 and 12:00. Depending on what we are having that day, is a factor on when I make it. For lunches that take time to cook, I start around 10:15 so it's in the oven by 10:30/10:45. If it's something easy and fast, I make it around 11/11:15. A lot of the times I will make extra for dinner and set some aside for lunch the next day, that really helps.
I let the kids have free play while I make it and sometimes they do watch an educational program. If it's something that has to cook for a while in the oven, I'll throw it in and we'll go play outside.

I'm on the food program and get around $360 or so a month from that (I only have 4 kids) so that helps with cost. Honestly, I don't know how much I spend for food for the daycare. I do my dc shopping and family shopping at the same time and don't separate expenses since I have two kids of my own and we just share food. As for picky eaters, I only have one, but I serve what I make and they choose if they want to eat or not. Sometimes I do feel bad and will give them a piece of cheese or lunch meat, but they have to try the food.
GKJNIGMN 12:01 PM 11-07-2013
I have less kids but I provide all snacks, meals, and drinks while kids are in care. I sometimes prep ahead of time by putting something in the crock pot or making a second meal at dinner the night before. I typically set the kids up with coloring at the table or playing quietly in the next room while I get lunch ready.

I always make sure leftovers are used and don't my much prepacked food like chicken nuggets, corndogs, etc. I only have a limit of 4 kids in my city plus my own 3. I rarely have more than my own plus 2-3 others by choice. Keeping in mind that I do care 7 days a week and if I have at least one child in care, I can claim my own kids as well, my reimbursement from last month will hit almost $900 and I cannot possibly see that I spent more than $400-$500 max including feeding my fiance and myself.

I have several picky eaters. I do not offer alternative meals because I provide a variety and a balanced meal. Sometimes they eat, sometimes they don't. I leave it up to them to decide and I don't worry much about it. If they are hungry they will try it.
TwinKristi 01:12 PM 11-07-2013
I provide the food. When I first started early last year before I was licensed I had 2 boys who's mom packed lunch for them. But they didn't ever want to eat it because they wanted what my boys had or vice versa. Someone would bring a Gogurt, or Lunchable or juice, or chocolate milk and everyone wanted it! I found out that license exempt providers qualify for the food program and I signed up! I have a big family so we easily spend $1000+/mo but I get a good $400-600+ from the food program so it definitely helps cover the daycare food costs!

And I typically make it while they play. My gated play area in the backyard is right outside the back sliding door so they're right there while I prepare lunch!
renodeb 02:30 PM 11-07-2013
I provide breakfast, lunch, and pm snack. I find it easier to make there lunches. I usually make it while the kids are playing. Luckily my house has an open floor plan so I can see the kids from the kitchen. I have two picky eaters right now and it is somewhat of a pain. But they are slowly getting better. I would say $500.00 a month is about right. If it is something that I can make ahead I do. Crock Pot is a real saver. I like providing the foods. I have had kids bring there own lunches and it was a pain keeping up with all the containers and stuff. Another thing to consider is "what are the kids getting in there lunch boxes? Most parents pack junk because they know there kids will eat it. I have a one year old no that simply will not eat a green vege. He gags on it and spits it out. My new 14 m/o same thing but I keep offering it to them. Parents love that I provide.
Deb
cheerfuldom 02:42 PM 11-07-2013
I provide snacks and parents provide a sack lunch. I am legally unlicensed and am not eligible for the food program. I dont even try to cook food for the kids because all the waste would really bother me. I ask that the parents do not include soda, gum or candy and keep sugary treats to one treat per meal. Everyone has been really good about the rules except for one family that was getting so ridiculous with the meals....huge movie size boxes of candy and multiple little debbie snacks and other treats for EVERY lunch. it was crazy. i kept sending all that home and offering only the actual food and one treat per lunch and they finally got the picture.
Sugar Magnolia 03:50 PM 11-07-2013
Bring Your Own Lunch here.....small center. I could not afford costly state certified commercial kitchen required of centers. Home daycares don't have that hoop to jump through..among many others. I love BYOL, only takes minutes to open lunch boxes, plate the food, heat in micro when needed. .....oh and no food program worries.
Sugar Magnolia 03:52 PM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I provide snacks and parents provide a sack lunch. I am legally unlicensed and am not eligible for the food program. I dont even try to cook food for the kids because all the waste would really bother me. I ask that the parents do not include soda, gum or candy and keep sugary treats to one treat per meal. Everyone has been really good about the rules except for one family that was getting so ridiculous with the meals....huge movie size boxes of candy and multiple little debbie snacks and other treats for EVERY lunch. it was crazy. i kept sending all that home and offering only the actual food and one treat per lunch and they finally got the picture.
I'm with Cheerful here. Yep, no junk food rule too. Most kids don't give a hoot what other kids have, rarely a problem. Mostly sandwiches, applesauce, cheese sticks, granola bars, etc. Containers are labeled. No biggie.
Maria2013 04:14 PM 11-07-2013
I provide all the food, I feel it's easier ...I cook most things the night before or like today we had fish sticks so I ran up and down the stairs while the kids were busy with some quiet activities
I don't recall ever having a picky eater, I have kids that eat things here they would never eat for their parents

the cost is really not that bad, I serve different pasta dishes, very inexpensive and all the kids love it
jenboo 09:46 PM 11-07-2013
I provide lunch. I plan to join the food program once I get licensed. My three main reasons for providing the food are
1. its easier for the parents/ makes mt dc stand out
2.the kids eat healthy food
3. the kids try different foods that they do not eat at home

I have 3 weekly menus that I rotate. I will have 3 new weekly menus that I will use for spring/summer. When planning my meals, I try to find a few things that can be made in bulk and frozen (soups, casseroles). I also try and keep the meals simple.

I usually start making lunch around 1030/1045 and we eat lunch around 1115/1130. During this time the kids have free play. My dck are 12m, 15m,19m and 4yrs.

I have many picky eaters. If they chose not to eat then they go hungry. I do not cater to them. They eventually start to try the food.

I think it is very easy to prepare the meals. Although my daycare room and kitchen are connected so I can be in the kitchen cooking and have full view of the children. I can see it being more challenging if the kitchen was in a separate part of the house.

I currently spend about $100 a month on food but part of that was for stock piling food up for a few weeks/months. Im estimating I will be spending around $80 or less on food now that my freezer is full.
Play Care 03:05 AM 11-08-2013
I provide meals as that's what most of the licensed dc's around here do.
I started dc when my own children were young so I had to make meals anyway. The main reason I do it is for parent convenience, period. It's a big selling point.

Depending on my group we either have free play in the family room (I have an open kitchen/family room so I can see and hear while I prepare the meal) they "help" (setting the table, handing out drinks, etc.) or they get a table activity (for my more off the wall kids...) I plan my meals ahead and always know what I'm preparing - when I first started out I winged it - don't recommend that at all!

I'm now on Tier 1 of the food program (was on Tier 2 for most of my 9 years) and I'm getting almost $500 a month from that. While I don't keep track of my dc food expenses to the penny, I will say there is no way that the dc kids meals cost that much. And some providers have even better methods for getting the most of reimbursement - making all their own foods and freezing them, for instance (check local food program rules first) or being able to use properly stored "leftovers." I've had picky eaters here and there, but I do a modified family style serving so it really minimizes waster. HTH!
Reply Up