Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What should I pay
Unregistered 09:07 PM 04-27-2009
I am an accounting assistant and sometimes have to work late. My 9 year attends an after school program at her school until 5:30. My question is what would be a reasonable fair rate to pay someone who would have to pick her up, take her to their home, feed her dinner, make sure homework is done, and ready for bed when I get there between 8 and 9 pm? Any help is greatly appreciated.
GretasLittleFriends 05:04 PM 04-30-2009
It depends on where you live, but I'd say somewhere between $2 and $3 an hour... JMO
Former Teacher 06:05 PM 04-30-2009
Yes I think it would be nice to do all that for you. However in response to Greta I think in my opinion that $2-3.00 an hour is kinda of, lack for a better word, cheap. You would be expecting someone to use their gas, use their food, plus take time to make sure that the homework is done, if not help with the homework. I think it would be a great for someone to do that however just don't be stingy...this is for your child
seashell 01:37 PM 05-01-2009
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
It depends on where you live, but I'd say somewhere between $2 and $3 an hour... JMO
At least minimum wage . . . 6 to 7 dollars an hour. If you pay less, just remember, you get what you pay for.
GretasLittleFriends 07:23 AM 05-04-2009
I honestly believe it depends on where she lives and what wages are like in the area. I charge hourly at my daycare and for infants it's only $2.50 an hour. That's about the average rate in the area. I don't charge for meals either. The parents supply diapers and things like that for their child. I don't think I could charge someone minimum wage to take care of their 9yr old for 3-4 hours. Most of the people where I live barely make over minimum wage.

Reconsidering, this wouldn't be a licensed provider on a food program, and like Former Teacher said have to use their own gas, food, and possibly tutoring skills. So maybe more than $2 or $3.

Though there is the consideration that the after school program the child is in also costs money so the mom is paying there already. If you add a cost of say $7/hr for 4 hours that the girl would be in care while the mom works late you're adding an additional $28 dollars a day. That doesn't sound like much, but it adds up quickly. That could potentially be $140 a week on top of what she already pays.
tymaboy 08:43 AM 05-04-2009
When I charge by the hour it is for the care only it does not include picking the child up or any other running that may need for that child. It has always been my policy that the parent must drop the child off here (or family member) I have other kids in care & can not travel. That will be a factor also. Feeding the child, homework & getting ready for bed would all be part of the care for the child. Since you want the provider to transport the child too you must be willing to pay extra for the service.
Unregistered 11:17 AM 05-06-2009
How many days a week are you talking about? Are you planning on having one of her friends moms do this for you? If so, I would pay a flat rate of $15.00 per day (since they are feeding her dinner).
Tags:evening hours, life choices, rates, school age care
Reply Up