Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:03 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Keeping Kids Off the Couch

How do you keep 1-2 yr olds off your couch? I would not have a problem with it if they climbed up and sat down, but I have an 18 mo who stands up, tries to slide off head first, etc. The way my basement is set up, I separate the older kids from younger kids and I have to step over a gate to get to them, which is not a big deal, but doing this every 5 min gets old. Any tricks to keep them off? I tell them to get down as soon as I see them start to climb up, but 9/10 times, they ignore me.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:19 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

"Sit on the rug."

Old 09-25-2018, 07:25 AM

Move the couch (or the toddlers) out of the same area.

If you are keeping the age groups separate and have a gate, don't keep the couch on the same side as the toddler.

Out of reach is THE best way to keep things separate.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:54 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Couch

I have made my couch into a “safe” climbing space for the three toddlers I watch (15-27 mo.). Lots of cushion at the base and taught safe climbing behavior (feet first, one at a time, etc). Caveat: I am not required to be licensed in my state.

If making it safe to climb is not practical then I’m another vote for it’s going to have to go.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:56 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have child sized furniture for them. The playroom couch is mine.
That's just how I explain it. I show them where they get to lounge and I show them my space. It never takes more than one "that's not your chair".
Old 09-25-2018, 08:22 AM
Daycare.com Member

Mine aren't allowed on the couch and they have lots of other climbing things to be attracted to, so it really hasn't been an issue.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:32 AM
Daycare.com Member

I would turn the couch towards the wall. Provide more enticing climbing pieces, turn couch back. Redirect. "We climb here. No couch."
Old 09-25-2018, 11:39 AM
Daycare.com Member

I don't allow them in the same area as my living room furniture.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:00 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
"Sit on the rug."

I don't think I've ever had an issue. This is what I say though.
And we are I'm my living room quite often with two couches in it.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:06 AM
Daycare.com Member

I do not allow daycare children on my furniture whatsoever after getting head lice twice that just about done it for me. You just never know who's going to bring that to your home. And it's not worth it after cleaning your house spraying and everything else that you have to do to get rid of them I have bean bags a little small chairs that I let them sit on that I just for them. I make sure that I inform parents this when I enroll them in my daycare that they are not allowed to sit on my furniture
Old 02-21-2019, 10:00 AM
Daycare.com Member

Sit nice or get down is repeatedly said or the couch is for sitting followed by me taking them off. I try to use positive phrases with the proper use/rule to be followed.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:46 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydethes View Post
Get furniture that are child friendly like the in most daycares. Child are naturally curious. You can't make them stop. All you can do is do something that will lessen the hurt they can get.
I can’t teach them to follow rules? Yes, I can, and have! Most (not all, but most) daycare providers on this board are providing care in their own homes, so we’re talking about our personal furniture for our families.

I do have a separate daycare space in my home, but when we do occasionally go into my living room, the kids sit on the floor. It’s not even a question.

Last edited by Blackcat31; 03-26-2019 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Removed advertising link/spam poster
Old 03-26-2019, 02:26 PM
LostMyMarbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgirl View Post
I can’t teach them to follow rules? Yes, I can, and have! Most (not all, but most) daycare providers on this board are providing care in their own homes, so we’re talking about our personal furniture for our families.

I do have a separate daycare space in my home, but when we do occasionally go into my living room, the kids sit on the floor. It’s not even a question.
I have my lower level as my daycare space. We also come up during the day and are in the living room. I do not allow the kids on the couch. I continuously tell them you need to get down, and sit on the rug. They catch on eventually.Persistence.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:17 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyMarbles View Post
I have my lower level as my daycare space. We also come up during the day and are in the living room. I do not allow the kids on the couch. I continuously tell them you need to get down, and sit on the rug. They catch on eventually.Persistence.
Yep! And I realize it was a poster attempting to sell us daycare furniture, but it bugged me that he/she said we couldn’t make them stop!

Tags
classroom management, couch, discipline - consistency, furniture, soft seating