Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>New Canadian
weedlio 12:30 PM 04-25-2012
Hello, I'm new to this forum and to daycare. I run a daycare out of my home for 3 siblings, ages 1, 3 and 5 years old. I also have my kids, ages 2 and 4 at home. I am doing this as a best case scenario for both myself and the mother of these children. I knew her before from our local playgroup, and my sister in law daycared her older 2 before she had the youngest. I am hoping to have another child myself, but am concerned about the difficulty of watching the older 5 while caring for a newborn (and also while having the wild pregnancy hormones, but that's another story). I am finding it both easier and harder than I expected. Please don't mind if I vent here, as my husband is already growing weary of it.
Blackcat31 01:17 PM 04-25-2012
Welcome to the forum!

Your status has been upgraded so you can post freely now!
gwenpatt.dc 06:00 PM 04-25-2012
No worries here! I'm good with people who need to blow some steam. I'm new here too. Good to meet you!
Michael 08:42 PM 04-25-2012
Welcome to the forum!
dEHmom 05:28 AM 04-27-2012
Originally Posted by weedlio:
Hello, I'm new to this forum and to daycare. I run a daycare out of my home for 3 siblings, ages 1, 3 and 5 years old. I also have my kids, ages 2 and 4 at home. I am doing this as a best case scenario for both myself and the mother of these children. I knew her before from our local playgroup, and my sister in law daycared her older 2 before she had the youngest. I am hoping to have another child myself, but am concerned about the difficulty of watching the older 5 while caring for a newborn (and also while having the wild pregnancy hormones, but that's another story). I am finding it both easier and harder than I expected. Please don't mind if I vent here, as my husband is already growing weary of it.
Hi there!
I'm from MB as well! Where abouts in MB? I'm just north of Winnipeg.

I'm just curious, are you licensed or unlicensed?

Welcome aboard!
dEHmom 05:44 AM 04-27-2012
sorry I wanted to add that every infant is different. Some are really good and some are really demanding. So it's hard to plan doing daycare with a newborn until you know the newborn.

I don't mean to butt in, but if you are not licensed in MB, are you aware you are legally allowed to watch 4 children (2 under the age of 2 and 2 over the age of 2) INCLUDING your own? The fines are ridiculous here if you are caught over limit. If you are licensed then it is 8 children including your own, 3 under 2 yrs, 2 over 2 and under 5, and the rest have to be school age and up.

I ran unlicensed for a long time. But I have 3 children of my own, and there really wasn't much money in it. They asked me to go licensed, which I did, and wow, what a difference in my income! And it didn't really cost much out of pocket, because you get a $1500 start up grant to pay for the things you need like fire extinguishers, playpens, nap mats, etc.
weedlio 06:32 AM 04-27-2012
I understand about liscenced versus unliscenced, which is why I am not posting where exactly I am. From my conversations with others around here, the way I run my daycare is common.
weedlio 06:35 AM 04-27-2012
Also, this is not a long term solution for me. I mostly did it as a favor for a friend of mine (whose kids I'm watching) so I know she's not going to report me, as then she would not have any one to watch her kids. It is very common to not be liscenced around here, and no one (not even the one provider who had all her kids removed by parents because of her questionable practices) has ever been reported. It's an important source of income here.
Blackcat31 06:42 AM 04-27-2012
Originally Posted by weedlio:
I understand about liscenced versus unliscenced, which is why I am not posting where exactly I am. From my conversations with others around here, the way I run my daycare is common.
So you are or aren't licensed?

It sounds as if you are saying that you aren't posting where your location is because you ARE unlicensed so you don't want others to know where you are. It is okay not to disclose where you are....many members here keep their locations to themselves.

If you ARE unlicensed however, and caring for as many children as you state, then you are aware that you are running in an illegal manner and that is what dEHmomm was trying to ask....

Whether running illegally is common or not is beside the point, as running unlicensed when it is required by law, is never a wise move....regardless of how many others do it.

Just hoping for some clarification....
dEHmom 06:45 AM 04-27-2012
you don't have to be licensed to be legal here. But there are limitations to numbers and ages.

I was excited to have someone in my province on the site. But I think I shall leave this thread alone now.
Blackcat31 07:03 AM 04-27-2012
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
you don't have to be licensed to be legal here. But there are limitations to numbers and ages.

I was excited to have someone in my province on the site. But I think I shall leave this thread alone now.
I wasn't implying she was operating illegally due to be unlicensed, I was implying that if she was over her ratio or capacity limits that THAT was/is illegal.

I am supportive of ALL providers, licensed, unlicensed, registered, unregistered, certified, accreditied, SAHM, babysitter, nanny, or whatever....just so long as the children's safety is the top priority and running over capacity is really not protecting the children in the best way possible as laws are there for a reason and breaking them for ANY reason is just not wise IMO.
Reply Up