Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holidays and regression: THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR!
E Daycare 06:02 AM 12-05-2012
I have a slew of teachers kids so once the holidays hit its back to square one it seems. Some of these kids have been here 2yrs and I still have issues.

I closed for turkey lurkey a whole 9 days (the whole week of turkey day plus the weekends). Coming back the the following Monday one 3.5yr old peed during nap time all week and this week has pooped. This 3.5yr old is said child whom gets a bottle at home still. I assume the week and half I was away threw his family for a loop and no one knew what the heck to do with the kid so putting him back in pullups and giving him his bottle seemed to keep things as easy as possible. I hope it fixes itself as come the new year this kid needs to go to another caregiver (facility or not- I don't care) tues and thurs due to my part time only contract. The mother has had since September to find alternate care. Nothing has been said. She has off for Christmas for two weeks so she better get it in check.

The other 3yr old, coming for a year and half, came back kicking and screaming and refusing to give up the binky. Gives me the stink eye (still, it's been a whole dang week and half) for giving up the binky at my house. Kid apparently does a bang up job at preschool, which he goes to tues and thurs, yet here he's like "forget you". He's been here a year and half and preschool 3mo. My rules haven't changed in a week!

The 1yr old didn't nap at all when she was at home while I was gone. She still naps here an hour in the am and 2-2.5hrs in the afternoon. Coming back here mom mentions she stopped napping. OH HECK NO. Back to schedule here and she napped like a champ.

So now I have to re-potty train the 3.5yr old because he keeps pooping himself and hiding it (even after multiple talks with his mom and discussions through the day) or go back to changing the largest size Pullups they make all day. I'm closing for another week and half for Christmas (which really isn't me closing since these teachers kids won't be here anyways) and some of the kids won't be here for two weeks. I'm dreading them coming back.

You guys deal with major regression after extended time away? Over the summer it wasn't as bad but most kids came at least once a week so I'm assuming that could be why. ALL of them have been with me over a year and/or since they were infants.

It's starting to get worse it seems too, I've never had regression issues this bad.
SunshineMama 07:53 AM 12-05-2012
Those are some serious regressions for that age group. I empathize with you! I have been lucky not to have anything serious. The worst I had was a set of twins who behaved awful every monday from their weekend with their parents, but were good to go and back in the routine by tuesday.

I honestly think it is because we spend more time with these kids than their own parents, and their parents really don't know them as well as we do, so they dont know how to keep them in order. That, combined with feeling guilty about having to leave your child in care can make the parent want to give their child everything they want when they are with them, which will cause regression in a childcare setting. the best gift a parent can give their young child is consistency, love, and time. Giving your potty trained kid pull ups and a 3.5 year old a bottle does nothing for your child.
Reply Up