Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Feeding Kids Can Sure Be Frustrating
Josiegirl 07:57 AM 09-26-2015
Three out of 5 lunches were a bust this past week. I'm getting so sick of having so much food leftover although the dogs are happy.
We had:
Salmon
Chicken Parmesan
Ham and cheese sandwiches
Tuna Patties
Pizza

Nobody ate any fish at all, the chicken parmesan was iffy, ham and cheese sandwiches were picked apart, some ate just cheese, others just ham and others just the bread. I expected everybody to love pizza yesterday but even 1 dcg said she didn't like the 'red stuff', which was the same sauce I've always used.
I give up. Maybe I should just feed them Kraft macaroni and cheese like in the old days!
littletots 08:29 PM 09-26-2015
Salmon, Chicken parm? They don't know you're feeding them like kings. Fav at my place are chicken patties, fish sticks, pizza. Small bagels with kids spreading their own sauce, adding cheese. They seem to enjoy making their own. Turkey luncheon meat with small bagels. I set out family style plates and they pass, serve and build their own.
childcaremom 12:16 AM 09-27-2015
My eaters haven't eaten much this past few weeks, either. My one guy, who normally eats everything, has now declared he does not like rice anymore and that the carrots at my house don't taste good. Pasta is usually a winner for everyone and those plates have sat untouched.

I am blaming the colds that everyone has.
Thriftylady 11:11 AM 09-27-2015
Originally Posted by littletots:
Salmon, Chicken parm? They don't know you're feeding them like kings. Fav at my place are chicken patties, fish sticks, pizza. Small bagels with kids spreading their own sauce, adding cheese. They seem to enjoy making their own. Turkey luncheon meat with small bagels. I set out family style plates and they pass, serve and build their own.
Can you send me the leftovers? I would gladly eat that. Honestly though I have found kids just like simple. The more work we put into it the less they seem to like it. It is frustrating.
Baby Beluga 08:55 PM 09-27-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Can you send me the leftovers? I would gladly eat that. Honestly though I have found kids just like simple. The more work we put into it the less they seem to like it. It is frustrating.
I have found the same with my group. If I were to make a meatball sub, no one would touch it. But if I give them meatballs, bread and sauce separately they would gobble it up and ask for seconds. Everything here is "deconstructed"
laundrymom 06:02 AM 09-28-2015
I don't stress over food. I cook healthy, yummy good and offer it. Either they choose to eat it or not. They're the ones who are hungry later on. and grumpy or not, they either play nicely with friends or play by themselves.
I used to worry, but finally decided that catering to their wants was only creating more frustration.
I cook. I serve. I give the opportunity to eat. When they are finished eating I remove rheir plate and move on with my day. I also only serve one serving of each meal component. They may have seconds or thirds or forths of veg when they finish their other food. My portions are big enough that no one starves.
kbennet 10:12 AM 11-09-2015
I agree with Baby Beluga. Deconstructing everything is a huge help, and I also like to give the kids lots of different options. Instead of making sandwiches, I'll give them choices of crackers, turkey, cheese, fruit, veggies, etc., all separate. Kids seem to be more receptive to it, and that way they'll usually eat all of a few of the items.
Play Care 10:49 AM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by kbennet:
I agree with Baby Beluga. Deconstructing everything is a huge help, and I also like to give the kids lots of different options. Instead of making sandwiches, I'll give them choices of crackers, turkey, cheese, fruit, veggies, etc., all separate. Kids seem to be more receptive to it, and that way they'll usually eat all of a few of the items.

Yeah I used to do the "my job is just to offer it" and to an extent I still do - but hungry kids are crabby kids and if me making some slight changes results in more food being eaten than that's what I do.
LysesKids 11:33 AM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by littletots:
I offer deconstructed Fish tacos... you should se how quick the 2 table eaters want them put together like Nana's lol. I make fresh tortillas & Mango salsa & the guacamole is a hit anytime lol
kbennet 10:19 AM 11-19-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:

Yeah I used to do the "my job is just to offer it" and to an extent I still do - but hungry kids are crabby kids and if me making some slight changes results in more food being eaten than that's what I do.
Makes total sense! It makes the day go a lot smoother if kids are not hungry.
Blackcat31 11:11 AM 11-19-2015
My kiddos are all fantastic eaters and I am forever grateful for that every time I read a food post.

I can't keep up with their vegetable consumption...

cold veggies offered almost daily:
red, yellow and orange bell peppers
cucumbers
carrot sticks
spinach salad
cabbage (coleslaw)
celery sticks
tomatoes (both cherry and Roma)

Hot veggies (I serve at least one daily WITH the above choices):
carrot coins,
creamed corn
regular corn
green/yellow beans
mixed veggies
lima beans
beets

There are never any left over veggies and hardly any left over anything. I don't think I have a single kid that doesn't eat seconds on everything and most, if not all will eat thirds if they're available.

I serve very little bread/rolls or crackers and very little pasta either.

I don't know what I did to get such good little eaters but like I said, I am grateful every day that they are.
Josiegirl 03:56 PM 11-19-2015
BC, you're very lucky!!! The only veggie here that is eaten by most kids(I say most because 1 dck won't eat anything except corn which I very rarely serve)peas. I'll serve peas and they're gone. Everything else? Sooo hit or miss.
Unregistered 01:30 PM 11-27-2015
My kids like everything basic. Nothing very cooked. I still provide all food groups just not combined and cooked.
fruit and veg:
carrots
tomatoes
celery
cucumbers
snap peas
apples
pears
bananas
melons
berries
grapes

other stuff:
cheeses
crackers
cold cuts
tofu
Dips: hummus, dressings, soy

canned beans of all kids: black, green, refried, pinto
edamame

cooked:
quesadillas
bean and cheese burritos
roasted broccoli and/or cauliflower
rice
mashed potatoes
mac n cheese
spaghetti and meatballs
meatballs alone
oatmeal
grilled cheese
Josiegirl 04:06 PM 11-27-2015
I'm beginning to wonder what planet some of my dcks come from!! Most of the things unreg. and BC have mentioned maybe 1-2 dcks might eat some of them. I'll serve potatoes but only have 1 that will eat them. Oatmeal? 1 dck will eat it. Again with all those veggies listed and even some of the fruits.

I told the dcks the other day there are only 2 foods I'd rather not eat, but everything else I'd at least try. They asked me what those 2 foods were and I said fig newtons and celery(unless you stuff it with p.b. or cream cheese)
childcaremom 01:40 AM 11-28-2015
I feel your pain! Cooking is my least favourite domestic activity.

It can be frustrating but I just keep offering the healthy choices and leaving it at that.

One thing that surprised me. My own dd is very choosy in what she will eat. Classic picky eater. Went out with a friend's family to a sushi restaurant. Loved it! Miso soup and sushi are her new favourites. This is a kid that if asked, will tell you that pizza and tacos are her favourite. Who knew! She is really resistant to trying stuff with us but did it no problem under peer pressure, ha ha.

Favourites here:
quesadillas (made with chickpeas - Looney spoons cook book)
chicken parm
veggie chili with toast fingers (or buns if I've had time to make them)
soups (all kinds, esp beef and barley)
turkey nuggets
sweet and sour meatballs

Everyone's favourite veggie is broccoli. I hated it as a child but this group will eat it every day, lol. And butternut squash. I will sneak pureed veggies into meals.

Snacks I always do raw veggies and fruits, along with other choices but they are always served. With or without dips. Something we did once was made a fruit salsa, toasted some tortilla wraps, and then used them to dip in the salsa. Delish!

I like to check out some blogs, too, for ideas. Super healthy kids. 100 days of real food. I've asked my older ones for ideas and have 1 day/week of kids' choice (within reason). Usually it's quesadillas or pancakes or scrambled eggs.
Unregistered 04:20 AM 01-01-2016
While I am about 90% organic, have lots of garden veggies in the summer/fall, etc. I'm still middle of the road and kid friendly. My kids seem to always eat great.

I don't serve chicken nuggets, fish sticks, etc. and make most things from scratch. I really strive to made meals without artificial colorings, flavorings, preservatives, etc.

But.....
I buy food co-op organic tortillas...but they are still white flour tortillas.
I use 1/2 organic white spaghetti and 1/2 whole grain.
I've been known to use Annie's mac 'n cheese and add extra cheese.
The big thing for me is to serve organic, lower sugar, homemade if possible, lots of fresh or frozen veggies, all fresh fruit, minimally processed, etc.

My kids' favorites are:
Roast beef, carrots & potatoes
Egg, cheese, potato skillet meal
Chicken Alfredo over pasta made with homemade Alfredo sauce (really easy)
French toast bake made with hearty food co-op bread (it needs bread that won't get soggy anyway) and real maple syrup
Roast turkey
Turkey melts made with immaculate biscuits...again white flour but basic ingre.
Scrambled eggs with cheese
Homemade chicken/rice soup
The day after roast beef or roast turkey we have B.B.Q beef sand. or turkey sand.
P.B. and jam...co-op bread, organic peanut butter and jam used

I see regular recipes like a chicken ranch crescent bake...I buy immaculate crescent rolls, organic dry ranch dressing, the cook and shred chicken breasts and make the meal.

I make homemade hamburger helper...so easy! But I roast beef.

So I tweak regular recipes, use lots of raw veggies, all fresh fruit, no canned fruit or veggies, mostly homemade, but still make it kids friendly.
AmyKidsCo 01:33 PM 01-05-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I have found the same with my group. If I were to make a meatball sub, no one would touch it. But if I give them meatballs, bread and sauce separately they would gobble it up and ask for seconds. Everything here is "deconstructed"
Mine too! Pasta with meat sauce on the side is gobbled up - dipping the pasta in the sauce, of course. But pasta with meat sauce on top is left on the plate.

Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I don't stress over food. I cook healthy, yummy good and offer it. Either they choose to eat it or not. They're the ones who are hungry later on. and grumpy or not, they either play nicely with friends or play by themselves.
I used to worry, but finally decided that catering to their wants was only creating more frustration.
I cook. I serve. I give the opportunity to eat. When they are finished eating I remove rheir plate and move on with my day. I also only serve one serving of each meal component. They may have seconds or thirds or forths of veg when they finish their other food. My portions are big enough that no one starves.
Me too, except I offer seconds on everything. I don't offer thirds unless there's too little left over to save for my family.
Josiegirl 02:21 PM 01-05-2016
I go back and forth on this food issue so much. Just call me Mrs. Wishy-Washy.
One day I think my job is to feed them, if they eat great, if not too bad. Then the next day I feed them 2nds of things I know they'll eat, even if they didn't finish everything on the plate because I don't want to deal with grumpy kids later.

But this week I've been very stubborn about given my picky almost 3 yo anything for 2nds unless she eats some of the fruits and veggies on her plate(hey, give me A for effort) .
Yesterday we had salmon, brown rice, broccoli, cucumbers and cantaloupe for lunch. Automatically she refused everything except the rice. I told her she was not getting anymore rice until she ate some of her fruits/veggies. So she ate the head off her broccoli, one slice of cucumber and about 6 pieces of cantaloupe. If you know this child you'd say that was incredible! Nobody ate the salmon(except me)so that was kinda a gimme. Today the same thing happened at lunch, she ended up trying a carrot. Then was so proud of herself that she has eaten a piece of pineapple until I found it on the floor. Sly dog she is.
But as long as she keeps trying bites of this and that.
Tags:meals
Reply Up