Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>New Favorite Dairy-Free Topping/Dip
nothingwithoutjoy 09:46 AM 09-24-2015
Took my daughter to the pediatrician recently and when I said we were limiting dairy (she reacts badly to it), and the dr. asked if I felt she was getting enough calcium from greens and I admitted that we don't eat leafy greens as often as we should, she offered a recipe which she promised would get us to eat kale. She was right--it did! We both gobbled it up, topped with this "parmesan cheese" substitute. Then I offered it to the kids as a "dip" (though it's powdery) for their veggies at snack--and everyone loved it and gobbled up more veggies than they might have otherwise. Here's our new favorite recipe:

"Parmesan Cheese"
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 cup raw almonds
Grind to powder (not to a butter) in coffee grinder or similar.
Add 1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
Sprinkle liberally on food such as hot steamed greens, pasta, rice etc etc.
Baby Beluga 08:56 PM 09-27-2015
That sound good! I will have to try it. My own DD is dairy free and 4 of my DC children are as well. It makes meal and snack time challenging at times.

On a side note for you own child, have you considered rice milk? Mine drinks it to compensate for some of the calcium she misses out on from regular dairy.
nothingwithoutjoy 04:56 AM 09-28-2015
Thank you. We do use coconut milk or almond milk sometimes, and she actually does eat some dairy (has outgrown an allergy--an actual, doctor-diagnosed allergy -- but it still gives her stomach trouble) and eats lots of greens and beans, so I do think she has plenty of calcium. We were worried at first but have learned a lot...
auntymimi 05:00 AM 09-28-2015
I've used silken tofu to make peanut butter dip for apples and such.
sharlan 09:52 AM 10-12-2015
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
I've used silken tofu to make peanut butter dip for apples and such.
What is your recipe for this?
Sunshine74 10:37 AM 10-19-2015
My friend and her daughter are both dairy free, and she sent me this recipe that taste just like ranch dressing. You may have to adjust the amounts becuase she says she just does it by look/taste, but I made her give me a recipe so I had some idea.

1/4-1/2 cup mayo
1-2 tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp salt, garlic powder, dill,
Tags:dairy free
Reply Up