Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Unbelievable!
Unregistered 08:56 AM 03-15-2013
So the family I termed due to accusing me of a number of things and also for breaking the terms of their contract are now saying that I don't know how to use a thermometer and that a 101 temp with a forehead thermometer is not a fever. Everything I see and read says to the contrary. I found a chart showing all the different types of thermometers and what the normal range is for each of them and will be sending that to them with their child's belongings.

They also got a note from their doctor to give to me as far as how to care for their daughter when she has a fever! Isn't that special? She is not supposed to be here with a fever people!!!!

So glad they are gone.....
mom2many 09:02 AM 03-15-2013
Geez some people!

I'd say thank goodness they are gone & I feel bad for the next provider they will have.
Springdaze 09:05 AM 03-15-2013
they are gone and still pestering you? geez! term them again!
Unregistered 09:07 AM 03-15-2013
They want to 'educate me'. I have been a provider for 20 years.

The real problem was that they gave their kid Tylenol most mornings and always at bedtime so she would only develop fevers after naptime. But it must be my thermometer, or me misusing it....even though everyone else has a normal temp....that's gotta be it!
Meyou 09:27 AM 03-15-2013
Just stop communicating with them at all and hopefully they'll go away.
Starburst 09:28 AM 03-15-2013
Does your contract say what temperature is too high for daycare? Most people say a temp of 100 or 101 and they get automatically sent home for 24 hours. I think I am going to put 99.9. Why would they want their kid to be in daycare with a fever? Fevers are NO joking matter when it comes to little ones! I had a middle school teacher that said she is completely deaf in one ear because when she was a kid she had a fever of 103. My mom once took me to the ER when I was a toddler because I had a high fever and I had a sezure in the waiting room. I think either that is a fake doctor's note or that doctor is a quack.

I would also add to your contract that families that are caught (or even supsected in some cases) dope and droping to lower a fever or to hide symptoms of illness to pass off as healthy for daycare may be put on probation or be terminated.
rmc20021 09:32 AM 03-15-2013
I agree...end all communication or one things just going to lead to another and frustration's will only rise. Be done with them and be thankful that you no longer have to deal with them.

There's no need to send them 'proof'. Yes, 101 is a temp no matter which location you use or which device you use. Even a child can take temps accurately...well, I take that back.

My ex-husband once called me at work to tell me my daughter had a temp of 107...all I could do was laugh at him.
Springdaze 09:34 AM 03-15-2013
I would love to see these people when their kids go to school! they dont mess around!
MarinaVanessa 10:46 AM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

The real problem was that they gave their kid Tylenol most mornings and always at bedtime so she would only develop fevers after naptime. But it must be my thermometer, or me misusing it....even though everyone else has a normal temp....that's gotta be it!
Ooooh that would get my goat. I usually would just ignore more conflict but man, I'd really have a hard time letting it go with this family.

Seriously, I'd educate them back. I'd put ANOTHER copy of their contract and handbook in the bag of their child's items with all of the policies that they broke highlighted and a note saying

"Thanks you for the information that you have given me. I have looked it over and read it. I appreciate your effort to "educate me". Let me return the gesture.

Attached to this note is another copy of my contract and handbook. Both are required to be signed and followed in order to receive care in my daycare. Both contain the policies that I choose to have for my business and which you chose to sign and agreed to follow.

Families have a right to read them all and then they can choose whether or not they agree with them or not. If they agree with them then they may choose to sign the contract, if they don't agree with them then they choose not to sign the contract and they can continue to look for care elsewhere. Not all child care programs work the same, have the same policies or offer sick care. Just like any other service or product it is up to the consumer to research and choose which services or products they wish to purchase. I would also like to include that contracts are legal forms which are legally binding which must be carefully read and understood before signing.

Once again, I thank you for your educational materials and although they are of no use to me, I appreciate the gesture.

Best Regards
DC Provider
MyAngels 10:49 AM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by Springdaze:
they are gone and still pestering you? geez! term them again!
This, and then,

Originally Posted by Meyou:
Just stop communicating with them at all and hopefully they'll go away.
This...
MissAnn 11:00 AM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

Can we bombard them with questions? Obviously we need loads of advise! Oh please give us their email or cell phone #! I need to know how to boil water for spaghetti. Please hurry and give me their contact info. I've been waiting for an awesome and free advice line!
mamac 11:01 AM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Ooooh that would get my goat. I usually would just ignore more conflict but man, I'd really have a hard time letting it go with this family.

Seriously, I'd educate them back. I'd put ANOTHER copy of their contract and handbook in the bag of their child's items with all of the policies that they broke highlighted and a note saying

"Thanks you for the information that you have given me. I have looked it over and read it. I appreciate your effort to "educate me". Let me return the gesture.

Attached to this note is another copy of my contract and handbook. Both are required to be signed and followed in order to receive care in my daycare. Both contain the policies that I choose to have for my business and which you chose to sign and agreed to follow.

Families have a right to read them all and then they can choose whether or not they agree with them or not. If they agree with them then they may choose to sign the contract, if they don't agree with them then they choose not to sign the contract and they can continue to look for care elsewhere. Not all child care programs work the same, have the same policies or offer sick care. Just like any other service or product it is up to the consumer to research and choose which services or products they wish to purchase. I would also like to include that contracts are legal forms which are legally binding which must be carefully read and understood before signing.

Once again, I thank you for your educational materials and although they are of no use to me, I appreciate the gesture.

Best Regards
DC Provider
I always love your responses! I can honestly see myself using them one day...
nanglgrl 11:15 AM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Can we bombard them with questions? Obviously we need loads of advise! Oh please give us their email or cell phone #! I need to know how to boil water for spaghetti. Please hurry and give me their contact info. I've been waiting for an awesome and free advice line!

LeslieG 12:55 PM 03-15-2013
Isn't it wonderful dealing with parents?!?! I feel for you!! *hugs*
Unregistered 01:41 PM 03-15-2013
I love you guys! Thanks for your support.

Marina Vanessa....definitely going to use some of your lines to re-educate them. They also have a forehead thermometer and I don't want them to think that subtracting 2 degrees is an accurate way to determine a fever for her. I am sending them some printed material, a chart etc that shows the different methods of taking a temp and how to read them.

'Let me return the gesture'!!!!! I LOVE THIS!!!!!
Tags:dope and drop, fever, fever - policy, terminate - illness
Reply Up