Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fever
MissAnn 04:36 AM 10-10-2013
If a parent emails you to tell you their child has a fever and then mentions that she thinks she had a fever while at your house, do you take it as criticism? I tend to overthink the things parents say.
Cradle2crayons 04:45 AM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
If a parent emails you to tell you their child has a fever and then mentions that she thinks she had a fever while at your house, do you take it as criticism? I tend to overthink the things parents say.
I guess it depends on the context used.... But realistically, it's possible they are right.
Familycare71 05:04 AM 10-10-2013
Personally I wouldn't- I ask for parents to notify me if their child becomes ill at home so I can let others know so we can all keep an eye out for it-
MissAnn 05:09 AM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
Personally I wouldn't- I ask for parents to notify me if their child becomes ill at home so I can let others know so we can all keep an eye out for it-
I'm glad she told me she has a fever. What I meant was the fact that she mentioned that she thinks it started at my house. I am taking it as......why didn't you notice she had a fever? She picked her up within 15 minutes of waking at nap, and I didn't notice anything wrong. If I did, I would have at least felt her head.
TwinKristi 02:07 PM 10-10-2013
What's funny is I have a mom with the OPPOSITE attitude. Child will have a fever here, obviously flushed and cranky, I take his temp and it's 100.4, child goes home and it's a miracle... no fever at home! Then they come back the next day and sure enough... 100.2! Wow! So it's only at MY house!

I would just reply, if you even feel its necessary, that you only take a temp if they appear ill or are showing other symptoms of being ill or you notice they're warm during contact. Said DCB is still in diapers so when I change him and see his little rosey cheeks and feel his forehead and that's warm to the touch, that's when I take their temp. I think his mom thinks I walk around with the Thermoscan in my pocket looking for a reason to send him home but really I just want to make sure he's healthy and not spreading his slobbery goodness to us all! He's one of those with "allergies" (that spread to other people) and "just runs warm" (which also spreads to everyone else as well!) LOL
Familycare71 02:17 PM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I'm glad she told me she has a fever. What I meant was the fact that she mentioned that she thinks it started at my house. I am taking it as......why didn't you notice she had a fever? She picked her up within 15 minutes of waking at nap, and I didn't notice anything wrong. If I did, I would have at least felt her head.
I guess like PP said it would depend on the context of how she said it but to me I would take it as : heads up I think she probably started the fever at your house- referring to contagiousness.
Depends on what kind of mom she is I guess...
MsLaura529 02:59 PM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I guess like PP said it would depend on the context of how she said it but to me I would take it as : heads up I think she probably started the fever at your house- referring to contagiousness.
Depends on what kind of mom she is I guess...
This.

I would just respond with something like, "Sorry DCK has a fever. I hope DCK feels better soon. Thanks for the heads up, and I'll watch for signs from other DCKS as well in case it spread." That way if she was trying to take a stab at you ... it won't seem as if she came across that way to you and it'll bother her, haha.
Tags:fever, fever - policy
Reply Up