Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thoughts on a Balance Bike Daycare?
Max 12:19 PM 10-13-2016
So my family and I are a moto family and absolutely love introducing kids to Strider bikes! I want this to be a focus point for my daycare and am hoping to find a name that helps identify this. Two questions for the group:

1. Any ideas on names or adjectives that I could include? I think using words like Riding/Riders, Dirtshark, or Striding/Striders (granted that's legal or I get permission from that company) is a good idea. Something like 'Rockin Riders' or 'Stride on Over' or 'Dirtshark Daycare' maybe.... I'm so bad at this!

2. We plan to have a small dirt track for kids to ride on. Nothing crazy or any steep hills, just some turns and a few small bumps to roll over. I plan to provide gloves, bikes, and helmets. Also on requiring parents to sign a waiver and bring close toed shoes. I'll admit I'm biased and think Striders/balance bikes are awesome and I would be pumped to have my kid playing with these at daycare! But I'm wondering if anyone has any things I should keep in mind (possible questions parents may have, concerns, ways to improve, etc.). Thoughts?

Thanks!
Controlled Chaos 12:24 PM 10-13-2016
I don't know what a "moto" family is.

Do you sell the bikes?

I imagine you can't use any company/brand names as you will get sued.

Check what the outdoor licensing requirements for your state are.
midaycare 12:36 PM 10-13-2016
There is just no way, as a parent, I would allow my child in that environment. Too many possibilities for injury.

As a provider, I don't believe licensing will allow that (if you are looking to be licensed). At any rate, there's no way insurance will cover that.

Sorry, I'm not trying to burst your bubble.
Max 12:41 PM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I don't know what a "moto" family is.

Do you sell the bikes?

I imagine you can't use any company/brand names as you will get sued.

Check what the outdoor licensing requirements for your state are.
Moto is short for motorcycle No, we don't sell them. Strider is the name of a balance bike company, hence why I mentioned making sure it was legal or permission acquired beforehand. Striding/Stride is a verb though, so I think it might be fine to use.

I've read the outdoor licensing requirements and found nothing specific to this area, but I would make sure everything was ok with the licensor and regulations. It's pretty common for daycares around here (and probably in general?) to have children play on two wheels so I don't foresee any weird regulations with it.
Max 12:43 PM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
There is just no way, as a parent, I would allow my child in that environment. Too many possibilities for injury.

As a provider, I don't believe licensing will allow that (if you are looking to be licensed). At any rate, there's no way insurance will cover that.

Sorry, I'm not trying to burst your bubble.
No apologies necessary, I like honest feedback

Just curious, do you allow children to use any bikes or two wheels in your daycare? Or as a parent, are you ok with a daycare that allows kids to ride bikes? If so, how do you view my idea as being more dangerous? It's essentially the same but with a bike path.

I don't mean to be rude at all, I'm just trying to see if there is any misunderstanding.
jenboo 12:43 PM 10-13-2016
Most balance bikes are for ages 18 months-3yrs. I don't see there being any more issues than providing trikes. As long as the bike riding area doesn't have any big bumps i don't see an issue.
I wouldn't have a problem with my son riding a balance bike in the dirt at daycare.

Im not a huge fan of incorporating it into the name though.
mommyneedsadayoff 12:48 PM 10-13-2016
I think it sounds fun! My kids get to ride trikes and ride on toys and they would have a blast if we had enough room for a track. I would say that as long as you have helmets and it doesn't conflict with any licensing regs, then it could be something you include as a "perk" of your daycare. I wouldn't focus your whole daycare on that one aspect, though, as it could limit your business appeal. But, if it is a fun part of your daycare and you are passionate about it, I a sure the parents you interview will see that excitement and find it appealing. Good luck to you!
Max 12:51 PM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Most balance bikes are for ages 18 months-3yrs. I don't see there being any more issues than providing trikes. As long as the bike riding area doesn't have any big bumps i don't see an issue.
I wouldn't have a problem with my son riding a balance bike in the dirt at daycare.

Im not a huge fan of incorporating it into the name though.
Thanks Jenboo. I know some balance bikes go up to 5 years, but I imagine it's more less how tall the child is, since the seat and handle bars can only go so high. We wouldn't have any big bumps and if required, I would do away with them and only have a path. Also I would have a 'bypass lane' = fancy word for a way to go around any bumps
Blackcat31 12:51 PM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by Max:
Also on requiring parents to sign a waiver and bring close toed shoes.
Parents can't sign away their child's rights.
Liability waivers will not protect you.

http://tomcopelandblog.com/?s=liability+waivers&x=0&y=0
Max 12:54 PM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I think it sounds fun! My kids get to ride trikes and ride on toys and they would have a blast if we had enough room for a track. I would say that as long as you have helmets and it doesn't conflict with any licensing regs, then it could be something you include as a "perk" of your daycare. I wouldn't focus your whole daycare on that one aspect, though, as it could limit your business appeal. But, if it is a fun part of your daycare and you are passionate about it, I a sure the parents you interview will see that excitement and find it appealing. Good luck to you!
Thank you! This is why I love this forum, everyone is super helpful on giving advice for the business side of home child care It's good to keep in mind that a fun/weird name might be unappealing.
Blackcat31 12:56 PM 10-13-2016
I have a Radio Flyer Strider bicycle and it is by far THE most played with ride-on I have. It is most used by 3-5 yr old group with the older preschoolers being most interested.

I love them! I wish I had another one!

Groupon has a sale on them right now:

Was $79.99 Now $39.99

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-no-...a62_0_20161013
Max 12:57 PM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Parents can't sign away their child's rights.
Liability waivers will not protect you.

http://tomcopelandblog.com/?s=liability+waivers&x=0&y=0
You are just awesome (not sarcastic at all by the way!)

Thanks for sharing, this is really helpful to know!!
midaycare 01:41 PM 10-13-2016
No apologies necessary, I like honest feedback

Just curious, do you allow children to use any bikes or two wheels in your daycare? Or as a parent, are you ok with a daycare that allows kids to ride bikes? If so, how do you view my idea as being more dangerous? It's essentially the same but with a bike path.

I don't mean to be rude at all, I'm just trying to see if there is any misunderstanding.
I don't offer a lot of bikes. I have two of the small 3 wheeler bikes that sit really low. My dcks are out of my care by 4.5 years old at the latest.

I just wouldn't want ds on a track with other kids, where so much could go wrong. I would allow it if I were there supervising, though. I'm just...protective. With me, ds does all types of things. Bikes, skiing, snowmobiling, etc. With another adult...no.

In my daycare experience, kids can be very misbehaved. I have strict rules to keep everyone in place and safe. This just wouldn't work for me as a provider. I can't have an infant in one arm, and be chasing little Johnny down because he sideswiped little Ben with a bike on purpose.

Again, I'm overprotective.
jenboo 01:52 PM 10-13-2016
I don't offer a lot of bikes. I have two of the small 3 wheeler bikes that sit really low. My dcks are out of my care by 4.5 years old at the latest.

I just wouldn't want ds on a track with other kids, where so much could go wrong. I would allow it if I were there supervising, though. I'm just...protective. With me, ds does all types of things. Bikes, skiing, snowmobiling, etc. With another adult...no.

In my daycare experience, kids can be very misbehaved. I have strict rules to keep everyone in place and safe. This just wouldn't work for me as a provider. I can't have an infant in one arm, and be chasing little Johnny down because he sideswiped little Ben with a bike on purpose.

I'm curious, where do your dck ride the bikes? All the daycares i have worked at have all had circular bike paths so that the kids all went in the same direction and didn't run into other kids who were playing with other toys.
midaycare 02:24 PM 10-13-2016
I'm curious, where do your dck ride the bikes? All the daycares i have worked at have all had circular bike paths so that the kids all went in the same direction and didn't run into other kids who were playing with other toys.
Maybe I'm reading the OP'S post wrong, but she is talking about needing helmets and riding gear for what she has planned. To me, bikes that require helmets at daycare? Riding gloves? This doesn't sound like simple small bikes to me.

My area is very woodsy, but I have a half acre fenced for the kiddos with no trees. A very small portion of that is paved. The draws to my outdoor area is the enormous sandbox, castles and sliding toys.

When daycare kids ride bikes and cars at my home, they all want to play bumper cars. Someone always get hurt if I'm not standing near them.
Max 02:31 PM 10-13-2016

Maybe track was a bit of an overstatement? It would be more like a glorified dirt path. Lol. I think a path with one direction of travel would be safer than kids riding (on bikes or trikes or otherwise) on a driveway or other surface in all directions. I guess I just disagree with the idea that so much more could go wrong. Not that I think playing on a driveway is necessarily unsafe or anything. Just my 2 cents
Max 02:34 PM 10-13-2016
Maybe I'm reading the OP'S post wrong, but she is talking about needing helmets and riding gear for what she has planned. To me, bikes that require helmets at daycare? Riding gloves? This doesn't sound like simple small bikes to me.

My area is very woodsy, but I have a half acre fenced for the kiddos with no trees. A very small portion of that is paved. The draws to my outdoor area is the enormous sandbox, castles and sliding toys.

When daycare kids ride bikes and cars at my home, they all want to play bumper cars. Someone always get hurt if I'm not standing near them.
Lol Striders/balance bikes really are simple bikes nothing crazy. Riding gloves and helmets are just for protection. We are big on always having proper gear (comes from riding MX, I realize little kids on small bikes don't necessarily NEED gloves).
organicdclady 02:35 PM 10-13-2016
We are also a moto family. My son has been riding since he was 3 and started racing at 4.
All the little ones at the track have the no peddle bikes, they're fun to watch.
I think it's a great idea, and could see families being exited about it. I do feel as though you would have to offer more than just bikes and a track though. I mean, you're not going to have the kids on the track for 6 hours a day. What else are you offering?
This will have an impact on your home owners insurance, there is no way around it.
If you're renting, the home owners are probably going to have a problem with it.
I would think to start off, this should be a "bonus" to your program and not be the star.
I do hope you share what comes of your start up!
mommyneedsadayoff 02:38 PM 10-13-2016

The strider bikes are basically a small bike with no peddles. They go as fast as their little feet can go I am not sure helmets are required for them, but I would think that any thing they ride on where they could fall off may have that rule. It is really not a big deal or anymore dangerous than other ride on toys. As with anything, supervision is necessary and kids who go against the grain (the bumper car kids) have to be dealt with just as any situation.

I guess I took the OP's post as being very involved with outdoor and physical play. Riding bikes on a track would have been so fun as a kid. We didn't have a track when I was little, but we made our own on our farm and it was great!
nanglgrl 02:50 PM 10-13-2016
The problems I could see are:
1. Waivers won't protect you if a child gets hurt.
2. Some states require that children have their own helmet of that each helmet goes through a sanitation process before/after use if it's shared. Daycare centers in my area have gotten rid of all trikes, bikes etc. for this reason and because of a fall surfacing rule.
3. On the top of most parents list for daycare is safety (followed closely by price and for some it's price then safety). Then comes environment, basically what kind of learning environment most matches their parenting..outdoors..Montessori..preschool like..home like. Other things come after that but again they are related to safety..organic food...cloth diapering..breast feeding friendly.
Even the parents I know who ride bikes quite a bit (I'm in Cedar Falls, Iowa..tons of great bike trails and RAGBRAI) aren't pushing for their child to ride a bike at daycare.
4. Insurance coverage
5. Safety. It's hard to keep an eye on the bike riders and the ones that aren't riding bikes at the same time.
6. If you're interested in QRS this could be seen as a falling hazard and need appropriate surfacing.

On another note, I love balance bikes! My children learned so quickly after using a balance bike. I intended to keep it for my daycare but quickly learned that it just didn't work. I had more safety concerns for my daycare children and they weren't as willing to take part in the risky behavior of taking their feet off the ground. I ended up giving it to a neighbor.
Max 03:59 PM 10-13-2016
Organic - I agree that it should be more of a bonus feature than the star. We own our home so no worries there thankfully. I would definitely offer more to make my program stand out, but the balance bikes would probably be the most unique aspect I suppose.

Nanglgrl- BC linked an article to waivers and insurance that covered those areas, it's really good to know waivers won't hold up! I read another thread on here for helmets so I planned to sanitize and have them assigned. Sanitized when it switches to another child for whatever reason. For safety, I think it would be just as safe, if not safer, than the typical mobile play kids do on driveways, patios, etc.. But a good point to keep in mind when talking to parents about it what is QRS?
Blackcat31 04:22 PM 10-13-2016
what is QRS?

Quality Rating & Improvement System (QRIS) is a method to assess, improve, and communicate the level of quality in early care & education and after-school settings.

In MN it's Parent Aware

http://parentaware.org/
midaycare 04:51 PM 10-13-2016
Quality Rating & Improvement System (QRIS) is a method to assess, improve, and communicate the level of quality in early care & education and after-school settings.

In MN it's Parent Aware

A.K.A. the thorn in my rear end

OP, do a search on here sometime for QRIS. Interesting reading.
midaycare 04:55 PM 10-13-2016
Okay, I think I understand bikes now.

As a parent, it wouldn't be an advantage or disadvantage then. I don't think I would consider it in my decision to choose a daycare for ds. But if you had a great outdoor area, and that was one of the options, I could get excited about outdoor time for ds.

I don't know if it's enough to pull parents in, but if you had a cool outdoor play program, I would love that.
Unregistered 05:57 PM 10-13-2016
What about the winter time?
daycare 06:29 PM 10-13-2016
first off I am a moto family too....My kids were raised on the MX track....Their dad was a professional rider in Europe back in the late 80s.....yeah I am old...lol

I am so jealous you have this space, I would die for space that big. I live in the SF Bay area, so imagine what space I have..

As far as using this as your main appeal for your DC, I honestly don't think too many parents will sign up for this.

Being that my ex and I taught our children to ride two wheels only at age 2, I know how hard it was to keep them safe and this was before they got their dirt bikes.

I can't imagine having multiple children all at one time that I would need to help them to learn to ride one of these. The thought of that scares the life out of me. I am scared for you.

I think that it would be something that children who can already ride and prove that they can could use at some part of the day.

Kind of like scissors... Most of my DCks can't use them. They have to prove to me first that they can follow the safety rules of scissors and only cut on paper before I let them have them. Once they show me and prove to me that they can do it safely, they are allowed to join in on activities/crafts that involves scissors.....

if you can't pass my scissor test and prove you can use them safely without hurting yourself or others, you can't use them.

not sure that was the best comparison, but it was all that I could think of.

anyways, I would love to use it personally for my family, not too sure you would be able to watch a child new to bikes on one and still be able to offer enough supervision AND meet the needs of the rest of your children in your care.

just out of curiosity, have you ever worked in group care before with mixed ages?
jenboo 06:59 PM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
first off I am a moto family too....My kids were raised on the MX track....Their dad was a professional rider in Europe back in the late 80s.....yeah I am old...lol

I am so jealous you have this space, I would die for space that big. I live in the SF Bay area, so imagine what space I have..

As far as using this as your main appeal for your DC, I honestly don't think too many parents will sign up for this.

Being that my ex and I taught our children to ride two wheels only at age 2, I know how hard it was to keep them safe and this was before they got their dirt bikes.

I can't imagine having multiple children all at one time that I would need to help them to learn to ride one of these. The thought of that scares the life out of me. I am scared for you.

I think that it would be something that children who can already ride and prove that they can could use at some part of the day.

Kind of like scissors... Most of my DCks can't use them. They have to prove to me first that they can follow the safety rules of scissors and only cut on paper before I let them have them. Once they show me and prove to me that they can do it safely, they are allowed to join in on activities/crafts that involves scissors.....

if you can't pass my scissor test and prove you can use them safely without hurting yourself or others, you can't use them.

not sure that was the best comparison, but it was all that I could think of.

anyways, I would love to use it personally for my family, not too sure you would be able to watch a child new to bikes on one and still be able to offer enough supervision AND meet the needs of the rest of your children in your care.

just out of curiosity, have you ever worked in group care before with mixed ages?
Did you use a balance bike when your kids were little? There isn't any teaching with a balance bike. It's a tiny bike low to the ground that they push with their feet.

I honestly don't see much difference between having a balance bike and other ride on toys. I also don't see this being an issue with insurance as others have mentioned. My insurance asked me if i had climbers, but didn't ask about riding toys.

I think helmets are great to have as a safety precaution for any riding toys. I think the op mentioned gloves which in this case i think would be used as a "cool" factor vs safety since little kids riding a balance bike in the dirt don't need gloves.

I have thought of making a bike path in my backyard but i don't want to kill the grass i think bike paths are great since all the kids are going in the same direction vs playing bumper cars.
EntropyControlSpecialist 07:06 PM 10-13-2016
Honestly, I can't see any of my preschoolers being interested in riding a balance bike for more than 15-20 minutes max. a day. I don't think I would make it my selling point. Just a nice little activity to do during our outside time.
daycare 07:10 PM 10-13-2016
Did you use a balance bike when your kids were little? There isn't any teaching with a balance bike. It's a tiny bike low to the ground that they push with their feet.

I honestly don't see much difference between having a balance bike and other ride on toys. I also don't see this being an issue with insurance as others have mentioned. My insurance asked me if i had climbers, but didn't ask about riding toys.

I think helmets are great to have as a safety precaution for any riding toys. I think the op mentioned gloves which in this case i think would be used as a "cool" factor vs safety since little kids riding a balance bike in the dirt don't need gloves.

I have thought of making a bike path in my backyard but i don't want to kill the grass i think bike paths are great since all the kids are going in the same direction vs playing bumper cars.
I don't know what a balance bike is...lol

my kids are 19-21, I have a 9 yr old too, but he always rode on 2 wheels only too...

I guess I should go and see what a balance bike is...lol
jenboo 07:21 PM 10-13-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
I don't know what a balance bike is...lol

my kids are 19-21, I have a 9 yr old too, but he always rode on 2 wheels only too...

I guess I should go and see what a balance bike is...lol
It's a tiny little bike without pedals that kids as young as 18-24 months can easily fit on. They push with their feet like typical riding toys.. definitely not scary.
Unregistered 09:08 PM 10-13-2016
On my god finally someone who loves the strider bikes like I do.i love them just as much as the daycare kids.i recommend to everyone I know or see.i don't see them as any more dangerous than a regular ride on toy/bike.most of the parents have never seen them so I get lots of good comments about them and most of the parents end up buying them one for home to.our summer is triple digits so we ride inside also in a big carpeted room that's empty.we race the strider bikes twice a year every year it has just became a event the kids and parents love to attend ,pretty much all attend new kids and old kids.The kids love to race and get trophies,most have even got gas dirt bikes because of the love for the strider racing .I think it's the best bike compared to a trike
Josiegirl 03:05 AM 10-14-2016
You've gotten lots of great advice. I just want to add that I'm jealous of anyone with a riding path. My backyard isn't conducive to that kind of thing but I know the kids would love being able to ride bikes here.
As long as you have the track safely separated from toddling toddlers....
Play Care 03:22 AM 10-14-2016
You've already gotten a lot of great advice. Like others, I think the balance bikes are awesome, but I also don't think it would be the draw you would want it to be. Providers are supposed to get kids outside and make it fun/interesting. Honestly, unless you have some obsessed kids, bikes here are about a 25-30 minute activity. What else will you have?

Insurance wise, I don't see an issue, but my day care insurance seems a lot less strict than what other people have (they don't ask about my toys at all )
Max 05:43 AM 10-14-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
most of the parents have never seen them so I get lots of good comments about them
I've had so many parents ask us about my son's strider because they've never seen one before!

Originally Posted by Play Care:
Honestly, unless you have some obsessed kids, bikes here are about a 25-30 minute activity. What else will you have?
I think it will depend on the kid or group of kids, my son and other kiddos I know stay entertained by their balance bike for up to an hour. But even if they don't have interest for very long, either way I would have other things outdoors to do
Max 05:47 AM 10-14-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What about the winter time?
I was thinking of using water to turn the yard into an ice rink type of deal. Probably put some chains on the tires and swap the summer shoes for the ice ones (the ones with the metal spikes on the bottom for gripping the ice).

Or just have them stride when their isn't snow/ice/mud on the ground, or move indoors. Unfortunately winter puts a limit on a lot of things!
midaycare 05:50 AM 10-14-2016
I was thinking of using water to turn the yard into an ice rink type of deal. Probably put some chains on the tires and swap the summer shoes for the ice ones (the ones with the metal spikes on the bottom for gripping the ice).

Or just have them stride when their isn't snow/ice/mud on the ground, or move indoors. Unfortunately winter puts a limit on a lot of things!
I just saw you're from Eagan! I lived there for a year. Beautiful area.
Max 05:52 AM 10-14-2016
Thanks everyone for the thoughts!

I think my original post may have been misleading... Balance bikes are definitely not a scary thing... lol. BC's link takes you right to a pic of one. The gloves are for sure more of a 'cool' factor Waivers wouldn't be needed b/c 1. Like BC mentioned, they don't protect you and 2. I don't think any providers use them for kids to play on ride on toys.
Max 05:53 AM 10-14-2016
I just saw you're from Eagan! I lived there for a year. Beautiful area.
I love it here! We lucked out in finding a home with a little bit of land
Max 06:19 AM 10-14-2016
In MN it's Parent Aware
Ah, ok. I'm familiar with Parent Aware.

OP, do a search on here sometime for QRIS. Interesting reading.
Definitely going to read up on this here
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 10-14-2016
Strider bike:

Motorbike:

OP is talking about the first picture. A child's bicycle with no pedals. NOT a bicycle with a motor.
Blackcat31 06:40 AM 10-14-2016

You might have some issues with ice and the metal spikes when it comes to licensing. MN pretty laid back and not nearly as picky as some states but I think even they draw the line at metal spiked shoes.
Max 07:58 AM 10-14-2016
You might have some issues with ice and the metal spikes when it comes to licensing. MN pretty laid back and not nearly as picky as some states but I think even they draw the line at metal spiked shoes.
Darn.. But but.. if they sign a waiver...???

MarinaVanessa 08:46 AM 10-14-2016
We love balance bikes too and have two as a part of our outside riding toy collection. Definitely a kid-favorite here too and parents love them (a lot of parents of younger ones end up getting one for their kids after seeing ours) but I personally wouldn't build my business around that theme. You could possibly advertise as being a daycare based on building confidence and independence and have the bikes and track be a part of that but I think you'd have to build on that like offer more outdoor time (don't forget waivers for sunscreen), an outdoor classroom (when weather permits), a large play structure, an obstacle course of some sort etc. This of course could be a part of a bigger program that can include art (instead of crafts), some sort of learning, an environment that's arranged for independence (materials easy to get without an adult's help) etc. just some more ideas to add on top of what has already been said.

As far as the ice thing go ... I really hate raining on someone's parade because I can hear your excitement and optimism in your words ... but ... although it sounds like a great idea as a concept if you have kids young enough that can ride a balance bike then they're probably not going to be very well-coordinated to be able to navigate on an icy frozen surface. I foresee a lot of slipping and sliding by some of the kids in the 3-5 age range and I don't feel like it would be safe at all for the 2 year olds and younger kids. I doubt shoes with spikes will be approved by licensing, chains maybe but all I can think about is someone falling and crying and possibly getting hurt (even if not seriously) and at that point I just think of the track as a hassle.

Logistically you're going to need bigger liability coverage. Yes you can get a parent to agree to allow their child to participate and warn them of the risks but that only saves you on some things that are more common. For example a fall from an age-appropriate playground structure. Playground structures are pretty common and if a child was to fall and break an arm and you were supervising but just couldn't prevent it in time then you'll be fine but a dirt pathway purposely frozen in the wintertime is not common at all and IMO just asking for a lawsuit. You'll definitely want to call your liability insurance carrier and ask if they'll cover the dirt pathway and of course an purposely frozen iced pathway. You should also call your homeowners insurance to ask about a "hypothetical" situation (don't give them your name, you don't want ti to strike against you) about having childcare in your home with a dirt pathway (don't use the word "track" because it really does sound cautious even if I know what you mean and it's not dangerous at all) and about the frozen thing. I've heard of homeowner's insurance agencies dropping child care providers for much less than that so just be careful.
LittleScholars 09:46 AM 10-14-2016
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Logistically you're going to need bigger liability coverage. Yes you can get a parent to agree to allow their child to participate and warn them of the risks but that only saves you on some things that are more common. For example a fall from an age-appropriate playground structure. Playground structures are pretty common and if a child was to fall and break an arm and you were supervising but just couldn't prevent it in time then you'll be fine but a dirt pathway purposely frozen in the wintertime is not common at all and IMO just asking for a lawsuit. You'll definitely want to call your liability insurance carrier and ask if they'll cover the dirt pathway and of course an purposely frozen iced pathway. You should also call your homeowners insurance to ask about a "hypothetical" situation (don't give them your name, you don't want ti to strike against you) about having childcare in your home with a dirt pathway (don't use the word "track" because it really does sound cautious even if I know what you mean and it's not dangerous at all) and about the frozen thing. I've heard of homeowner's insurance agencies dropping child care providers for much less than that so just be careful.
I just wanted to add that in my area only TWO companies will cover home daycares at all. All other homeowner's insurance companies will not cover you with a daycare, and if you don't disclose it your insurance is voided. These companies also require you to have additional liability insurance (which is a great idea anyway). I've never made a claim and I live in a newer home in a safe area, and it is still pretty pricey. So, I have to tread very lightly when making choices about outdoor activities because if I lost coverage or if my premium increased, it could ruin my business. I won't even get a full wooden play structure at this time. It is worth thinking about how much flexibility you would have if something were to happen and rates were to be raised.
Max 10:12 AM 10-14-2016
I doubt shoes with spikes will be approved by licensing

but a dirt pathway purposely frozen in the wintertime is not common at all and IMO just asking for a lawsuit.
I was totally kidding about all of that. lol sorry, I thought I had made it sound over the top ridiculous

I would NEVER (and this isn't sarcasm) actually have an iced over yard or ice shoes in a DC setting!!
Blackcat31 10:14 AM 10-14-2016
Logistically you're going to need bigger liability coverage.
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
I just wanted to add that in my area only TWO companies will cover home daycares at all. All other homeowner's insurance companies will not cover you with a daycare, and if you don't disclose it your insurance is voided. These companies also require you to have additional liability insurance (which is a great idea anyway). I've never made a claim and I live in a newer home in a safe area, and it is still pretty pricey. So, I have to tread very lightly when making choices about outdoor activities because if I lost coverage or if my premium increased, it could ruin my business. I won't even get a full wooden play structure at this time. It is worth thinking about how much flexibility you would have if something were to happen and rates were to be raised.
OP is in MN.

We aren't even required to have liability insurance at all.

I'm not saying anyone should or shouldn't have it, I am only saying in MN we are not REQUIRED to.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 04:03 PM 11-01-2016
Was going through licensing regs for my state (Alaska) and came across this:

A child care facility may not provide a program of moderate-risk activities on a regular basis unless the facility has a specialized program activity specialization approved by the department. Moderate-risk activities include specialized program activities such as gymnastics, swimming, camping, wilderness walks, horseback riding, canoeing, skiing, climbing, fishing, skateboarding, rollerblading, scooter riding, and bike riding.

...not sure if that includes balance bikes, but sheesh, most of them I get, but bike/scooter riding?
Tags:bikes
Reply Up