Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Illinois Providers...
KEG123 12:29 PM 05-02-2012
(And no I don't need anyone saying "And this is why I don't take state assistance.")

Anyone else get this e-mail? So what does this mean? They're going to TRY to pay me for April? Should I talk to my one family on assistance and see if they can pay out of pocket? Or a portion? or what? They were already going to move to part time for the summer, from 4 days a week to 2 days a week. Which was already going to, obviously, cut my payment in half. I'll be lucky if I can pay rent (among other bills) now. Stress level, maximized.

Luckily I have an interview Friday for a part time infant but that in no way will be enough $$ to make up for losing 2 full time children.

Here is the e-mail.

The following information was received by us on May 1, 2012.

The Department of Human Services regrets to inform you that there is not enough money in the state budget to pay for child care services for the rest of the fiscal year ending June 30, 2012. We have requested additional funds from the General Assembly but to date we have not received any additional dollars. Without additional money, we can't continue to pay for child care services.
Effective immediately, you should expect a delay in payment for April services. We will continue to receive and process bills on a first in first out basis until funds are depleted. If additional money is made available, we will process bills in the order they were received. Without more money, bills for most of April services and all of May and June services will be held until July, 2012. Payments will resume in July when the FY13 budget is available.

We are sorry for the hardship this creates for you.
KEG123 12:35 PM 05-02-2012
And also, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm taking this to mean that I could continue to care for the children and that they will reimburse me in July?? Or no...??
Blackcat31 01:05 PM 05-02-2012
Our state had a complete and total shut down not too long ago and we were not paid but were reimbursed for any services we did provide to families.

I read the info you posted and I would take that as meaning that they will not be paying you for April or May or June but will more than likely pay you once they receive funds for the new fiscal year (beginning after June 30).

It sounds like they simply ran out of money and have no more to pay out for the child care assistance program (and possibly other programs).

I guess in your shoes, I would be leary of continuing to provide services for families that are on assistance unless they can make some sort of temporary agreement to make payments to you and then you can reimburse them when the state does pay you. I did this.

The reason was it wasn't ME that was receiving the assistance, it was the families so I figured it should be their problem...kwim? I know they are low income and all due to being on the program but without sounding unsympathetic, that still wasn't MY problem. I had all my assistance families make a payment agreement contract to pay what I felt was acceptable (which wasn't the full amount) but an amount I could live with and they paid until the state started back up again.

Ugh...I feel for you as state issues are tough. You are in a tight spot because you know the families cannot always afford to pay anything but you can't afford to do daycare for free either so.....

Hang in there and maybe someone from your state will come along and correct me and you will get paid.
MyAngels 01:54 PM 05-02-2012
I got the same e-mail today, too. I took it to mean they will pay the back months in July when funds from the new budget become available, since it reads that the unpaid bills will be "held" until July. Of course that means it becomes a vicious cycle every year until they actually appropriate enough funds in the budget.

I seem to remember this happened last year, too, but the General Assembly eventually approved the additional funds before the end of the budget year.

I can't understand how programs like these are left unfunded when we just had a state income tax increase of 66% .

I guess I'll have to ask the 1 family I have on assistance to pony up the funds if it looks like they won't find the money...
KEG123 02:44 PM 05-02-2012
Yeah the "sucky" thing is my one family on it has twins, so I feel their pain. They did, however, notify me that they were dropping to part time for summer which is why I have a part time interview on Friday.

I also e-mailed the ccr&r lady and she said that (in regards to back paying for May/June) that "That is the plan, though it is not guaranteed." If that is true, I can live with them paying as much as they can and then reimbursing them (the parents) when I get back-payed. But the tough part is finding out how much they CAN afford, and hoping the state really does pick up the tab come July.
Blackcat31 03:24 PM 05-02-2012
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Yeah the "sucky" thing is my one family on it has twins, so I feel their pain. They did, however, notify me that they were dropping to part time for summer which is why I have a part time interview on Friday.

I also e-mailed the ccr&r lady and she said that (in regards to back paying for May/June) that "That is the plan, though it is not guaranteed." If that is true, I can live with them paying as much as they can and then reimbursing them (the parents) when I get back-payed. But the tough part is finding out how much they CAN afford, and hoping the state really does pick up the tab come July.
I figured 50% of their normal rate was the least I could afford to take in and probably the most they could afford to pay.

I understand completely that coming up with the money for them is hard but again, I really felt that I had no other option as I couldn't give them services for free. It is a super tough spot to be in, but bottom line is THEY are in the tough spot NOT necessarily you...kwim?

If it were any other form of payment such as a grant that ran out or something similar you would more than likely expect parents to come up with the money to pay so I think you need to treat this as any other situation. Parents pay if funding is not available from another source.
KEG123 03:58 PM 05-02-2012
Well I told her to talk with the kids' dad and get back to me. I made it clear I'm willing to work with them and reimburse them when I get paid from the state. And assuming I get this other daycare baby, we'll be able to squeeze by without getting the full amount from the state, especially when considering the food program reimbursement and such. (These two are the reason we are able to claim tier 2, so without them we also get less food $)
KEG123 04:02 PM 05-02-2012
Also, I'll want to write up a new contract for them that says something like

We will pay $X amount to XYZ daycare per week/month (whatever we agree upon). When the state pays XYZ daycare, any amount we paid will be reimbursed to us. If, in the event the state does not pay, we are responsible for paying the remaining balance owed.

That is obviously the jist of what I want to say. Anyone have a contract they used similiar to that? Anything else you'd add? Help me make it sound professional.
KEG123 05:12 AM 05-03-2012
Anyone? I'd like to type something today to give dcm tonight at pickup.
MyAngels 05:27 AM 05-03-2012
When you say they will be responsible for paying the remaining balance owed, are you saying that they will pay a portion of their regular fee right now, then if the state never pays you, you would expect them to make up the difference?

Or are you going to accept a reduced rate and lose the difference if the state never pays?
Blackcat31 06:16 AM 05-03-2012
Anyone? I'd like to type something today to give dcm tonight at pickup.
Here is the one I used for when our state shutdown and CCAP (our assistance program) had no funding available.

You are welcome to use any or all of it. You will jsut have to change the dates and the CCAP wording in it. Hopefully it will help.
MyAngels 09:38 AM 05-05-2012
Hmm. I just checked the vendor payment site and it looks like I'll be getting paid for April after all. I guess it pays to be the early bird when calling in your hours .
MissK 09:55 AM 05-05-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here is the one I used for when our state shutdown and CCAP (our assistance program) had no funding available.

You are welcome to use any or all of it. You will jsut have to change the dates and the CCAP wording in it. Hopefully it will help.
Has anyone told you today just how awesome you are? lol
Blackcat31 12:25 PM 05-05-2012
Originally Posted by MissK:
Has anyone told you today just how awesome you are? lol
aw, thanks....I just like to help where I can....my small contribution to the human race.

Seems so many people (not just here but in the world in general) are stressed, tired, overworked, under appreciated and just down right unhappy....I like to think that if I can be useful/helpful.....then why not?

I'm an optimist by nature.
KEG123 03:39 PM 05-05-2012
Thanks Blackcat, I used your form and messed around with it a bit to make it sound more "me." Luckily dcm said her mom would loan her some money to make a 50% payment to me until the state gets back on track.

and MissK, what site is this you're talking about? To see if you get paid? I called the 1800 # on the evening of the 1st to report my days. But I never knew of a website to check on the status.
MissK 05:50 PM 05-05-2012
Thanks Blackcat, I used your form and messed around with it a bit to make it sound more "me." Luckily dcm said her mom would loan her some money to make a 50% payment to me until the state gets back on track.

and MissK, what site is this you're talking about? To see if you get paid? I called the 1800 # on the evening of the 1st to report my days. But I never knew of a website to check on the status.
It was MyAngels that mentioned a web site - maybe she'll pop back in and offer the site info I'm in MN, but we have electronic billing too - awesome tool!
MyAngels 10:06 PM 05-05-2012

You can check two ways:

Call 800-804-3833, which tells you when your certificate was approved for payment by DHS.

Go to: https://www.wh1.ioc.state.il.us/iw/?...827416558B5726

and enter your SSN or EIN. This site tells you when payment was actually issued by the state. It takes 2 days or so from when DHS approves the payment for the state to issue it, then another 2 or 3 days before it arrives via direct deposit or they mail a check.
KEG123 06:53 AM 05-06-2012
So when did you submit your paperwork/call the 1800 number to report your days? I'm not sure if I see where the info is on the website.

And do you get debit or direct deposit or a mailed check?
MyAngels 06:16 PM 05-06-2012
So when did you submit your paperwork/call the 1800 number to report your days? I'm not sure if I see where the info is on the website.

And do you get debit or direct deposit or a mailed check?
I called my hours in around 6:30 a.m. on the 1st.

You put either your SSN or EIN (whatever you submitted when you started the program) in the box on the first page where it says "Vendor TIN Num:". Then a page should come up with your name at the top that says "Vendor Summary" which has total amounts of encumbrances and payments. Click on the "Payments" button which brings you to a page with selection criteria. You can ignore all of the fields and just click the "Find Warrants" button. That should take you to a list of all payments made to you this fiscal year.

I use direct deposit, but even before I signed up for that my check payments were listed on this page.

I guess I assume we're both using the same program (DHS CCAP), but even if we're not this website is for all State of Illinois vendor payments, not just CCAP payments.
KEG123 08:03 AM 05-07-2012
Mine only says the date of my last payment in april.
Reply Up