Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Foam Mats
sharlan 02:04 PM 08-17-2012
We converted 1/2 of our 4 car garage into a playroom (16.5x20.5, permitted through the city). Right now I have carpet in there, but my elderly cat has peed on it a few times and no matter how often I clean, it stinks. Actually, the carpet has stunk from the day it was installed.

I'm in the process of getting an estimate for cheap linoleum. It's going to cost more than if we reinstalled carpet. I was thinking of using the floor mats that you buy at Sam's instead of the linoleum. They can be washed and replaced if need be.

My dh isn't too keen on the idea, but I think it will work.

Anyone have any experience with these? How well do they hold up and wash?
daycarediva 02:26 PM 08-17-2012
this is what I did in the daycare bathroom. It's stick tile, that you can place and grout. It looks amazing and cleans up beautifully. I alternated 18x18" and 12x12" tiles to make a pattern. Everyone who sees it thinks that it is ceramic tile and they always bend over to feel it. LOL! I haven't had to replace any tiles, but they just peel up, stick down and regrout. Easy and CHEAP! Good luck!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_356511-84875...7C1&facetInfo=
Nickel 02:44 PM 08-17-2012
I actually covered my entire outdoor deck with foam tiles. They are super easy to clean. I just pour some water and cleaner over them, scrub them with a stiff brush and presto. Clean. BUT if I had to do it again, I would not use the ones that have the pull out letters or shapes. They pop out sometimes when you step on them and sometimes the wind just blows them up. Which I guess wouldn't be a big problem for you since your garage isn't outside, but you know what I mean. I like that they are soft and springy and the kids won't get hurt on them. (compared to my wood deck that the previous owner built).

I haven't seen the ones at sam's although now I'll have to go look and see what they have! lol
DaycareMama 08:45 PM 08-19-2012
I use them in my baby area and under my climber. I also bought the colorful ones from SAMs. I like them. I'm not sure I would like them with like a table and chair set on them.....but just to take place of a old hard floor they work great
youretooloud 08:46 AM 08-20-2012
I have tons of problems with them. It seems like no matter what I do, they ruin them. So, I finally put an inexpensive space rug over them.

The kids NEVER pee on anything else but those...and they are always standing on a section where four of them are connected, so you have to take it all apart to clean between and under them. It's not like I don't have an entire house full of tile to pee on... but, for some reason, they only pee there... under the jungle gym on the edge of four tiles is apparently more appealing. So, that way, I have to move the jungle gym, then tear up the foam tiles, clean, dry, then put it all back together. Wouldn't want it to be easy.
Meyou 08:50 AM 08-20-2012
I have them in my playroom and I'm not really a fan. It's easy to clean the top but you would not believe the dirt and gunk that get down in between and under them. It's always a big job when I clean them. I've take out more than half of them and replaced them with a rug.
Annalee 10:24 AM 08-20-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
We converted 1/2 of our 4 car garage into a playroom (16.5x20.5, permitted through the city). Right now I have carpet in there, but my elderly cat has peed on it a few times and no matter how often I clean, it stinks. Actually, the carpet has stunk from the day it was installed.

I'm in the process of getting an estimate for cheap linoleum. It's going to cost more than if we reinstalled carpet. I was thinking of using the floor mats that you buy at Sam's instead of the linoleum. They can be washed and replaced if need be.

My dh isn't too keen on the idea, but I think it will work.

Anyone have any experience with these? How well do they hold up and wash?
We build a 24' by 32' room with a concrete floor and used the floor mats as well. While they interlock tightly and I have not had problems with leaking in the cracks, they are very difficult to clean. If I had it to do over, I would only use the blue, green, and red. The yellow ones are the hardest to clean. We spray with cleaner, then scrub with a brush which works but is very time-consuming. On the postiive side, though, we put these down for a third of the cost of carpet adn they do last. Also, licensing likes the padding and comfortable flooring for the kids. Another problem, since we have had these so long, some of the newer mats do not interlock correctly causing difficulty in replacing without changing the entire floor. You can now get grey-black colors which I was going to put in place of the yellow, but they do not interlock as well. Just some thoughts!
Tags:mats
Reply Up