Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Accidents Almost 5 Yr Old
SunflowerMama 06:56 AM 03-04-2011
I have one almost 5 yr old dck that is having 3 or 4 potty accidents a day. I remind them when they get here to make sure to head to the potty when they need to go but we're still having so many accidents.

Parents gave them something special the other day if they stayed dry all day and they were able to do it. So I don't think there's something wrong that's causing the accidents just not heading to the potty when they need to go.

And not to compare other kids but all my other kids (from almost 3 to 4) just go on their own when they need to and its rare to have an accident from any of them so I think I'm reminding them enough. So I don't know if there's anything else I can do.

Any advice?
daycare 07:35 AM 03-04-2011
I had this same issue here and in the end had to term the family.

the child i was caring for was the same age. same exact thing. several accidents a day.
The parents admited that the child was lazy and no matter what I tried to do, nothing worked.
the child did not have a consistant schedule in his life and was all over the place. I made the family put him back into pull ups after my carpet took a beating.

they fought me over the pull ups... I told them that they should talk to their Doc about it to see if there is something wrong. They got really offended and went off on me. So this is when I said well if there is not something medically wrong and you are not willing to work with your child more at home then I cant help you...

so we termed..
SandeeAR 09:24 AM 03-04-2011
Set a timer for each hour and send her then. Tell her no choice,she has to go each hour, until you feel she starts acting like a 5 year old and doing it correctly on her own. After a day or two of constantly having to stop what she is doing, she will tire of the game and start acting 5 again.
SunflowerMama 10:16 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Set a timer for each hour and send her then. Tell her no choice,she has to go each hour, until you feel she starts acting like a 5 year old and doing it correctly on her own. After a day or two of constantly having to stop what she is doing, she will tire of the game and start acting 5 again.
I think I may try this beginning next week.
daycare 10:23 AM 03-04-2011
forgot to add... I was also doing this and the child was lying about using the toilet. I had to actually go into the bathroom with the child and make sure that they did in fact go. It was a nightmare..
Tags:5 year old, potty accidents
Reply Up