Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Minimum Wage?
MissAnn 05:21 PM 03-25-2013
Who made it this year? Not me.
blandino 05:33 PM 03-25-2013
Working the number of hours we do - really makes the hourly
Amount small.
MissAnn 05:39 PM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
Working the number of hours we do - really makes the hourly
Amount small.
And hard to compare with a normal job. Are we better off financially working at home in our own business or get a job somewhere else?
NeedaVaca 07:04 PM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
And hard to compare with a normal job. Are we better off financially working at home in our own business or get a job somewhere else?
I wouldn't say I'm better off financially BUT I started this out of a very real need to take care of my DS who has special needs, I had to quit a job I loved to do this. So, for me it makes sense and I have a pretty good group. That being said...once my DS is in school I will probably start looking at other options.

I think since our job is so unlike a "normal" job it's hard to compare! Long hours=bad fun, teaching/loving kids=good, pay=probably not as good, get to make dinner, do household chores etc=good. ha ha pro's & con's for our job should probably be a whole new thread
just_peachy 05:26 AM 03-26-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I wouldn't say I'm better off financially BUT I started this out of a very real need to take care of my DS who has special needs, I had to quit a job I loved to do this. So, for me it makes sense and I have a pretty good group. That being said...once my DS is in school I will probably start looking at other options.

I think since our job is so unlike a "normal" job it's hard to compare! Long hours=bad fun, teaching/loving kids=good, pay=probably not as good, get to make dinner, do household chores etc=good. ha ha pro's & con's for our job should probably be a whole new thread
These are my pros as well. Some days my son has more homework than others, plus I like to make dinner and have the laundry caught up at all times and have a cozy clean home to end the day with. Being able to do those things is well worth it for me. Even after a frazzling day, I wonder to myself "how would I have made this day a quality day with my family if I worked outside the home?" There's just no way, especially the homework help part.

I didn't learn a lot of "life skills" from my parents because they both worked full time. Then I moved out and got married, and it took me, man, a good 5 years at LEAST to feel comfortable with mature adult things like cleaning and cooking. I LOVE that my kids, (3, 5, and 7) think that chores are no big deal, and really understand food and nutrition. All cons aside, the far reaching benefits for my kids make it worth it.

That being said... sometimes it's depressing to me that the "pros" involve doing laundry and making dinner. Sometimes I think "really? Is this really my life? What has happened to me??" But I just turned 30 so I think that may be my mid-mid life crisis talking.
originalkat 08:57 AM 03-26-2013
I take 8 full time kids.. If I tally it before expenses are taken out I made $21.00 per hour. After expenses it came out to $13.75 per hour.
Blackcat31 09:10 AM 03-26-2013
I probably make less than minimum wage but honestly, the benefits and perks to this job FAR outweigh that thought.
Sugar Magnolia 10:19 AM 03-26-2013
$42 an hour before expenses. 12 enrolled. After expenses, About $26 an hour.
Tags:minimum wage
Reply Up