Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Daycare Member

Default Cater To Teachers Only?

Does anyone cater to just teacher families only?

I'm a former teacher and in my dream world I would love to have just teacher families and have the summers off with my own two kids.

If you do, how do you do it?
How do you advertise specifically to teachers? Have schools allowed you to advertise?
Do you charge for summers, winter and spring break, school closings, etc.?
Any other tips?
Old 10-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Daycare.com Member

If you really only want teachers kids the best way to get and keep them is only to charge them for the school year. Have them pay a non-refundable deposit at the end of the year to hold the spot over the summer. I charge a monthly rate to teachers. Durring the months of Sept to June they pay 680 to 720 a month. Then for the summer I have them pay 340 to hold the spot. I live in an area that has lots of preschools that take kids at 2 years old and I was finding if I didn't work with the teachers they would take the kids to preschool at 2 to save money (summer months). To me it was worth it to work with them.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Daycare Member

Three out of my four families are teachers, and I'm not sure how it ended up that way! They all work for different schools, and I have never advertised specifically for teachers.
Now that I have mainly teachers families, I wish I would have done their contracts a little differently. Right now, their rates are the same as everyone else, but I don't charge them for breaks or summer. Two of the families did utilize part time care this past summer though. Next year, I would like to change their contracts so that they pay a flat monthly rate throughout the school year, instead of the daily rate. It would be a bit higher then my normal rate, but they still wouldn't pay for breaks or summer. I haven't done the deposit to hold the spot over the summer, though that sounds like a really good idea.
I think schools would be open to the idea of putting a flyer in the teachers lounge, or you could possibly donate books to the classrooms with a sticker inside that says "donated by" and your daycare name.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Daycare.com Member

I only take teacher's children.

I do not charge for summer break (nor do I require a deposit to hold the spot) and I do not charge when school is closed for holiday or any other break. If school is closed due to weather, I am closed. If kids are gone due to illness or anything else, parents still pay.

I am only open from 7:30-4:30 which is so incredibly nice. It is amazing what getting done at 4:30 vs 5:30 will do for your day!

For advertising I sent an email to the principal of the four schools in town asking if they were able to forward my flier and resume to their staff and they all did. I did get business cards printed up as well, but haven't used them yet. I think I read here that some were going to hand out cards with Halloween candy - a great idea!

I feel like parents get a lot of perks but so do I. Having summer off with just my own kids is priceless and it is so nice to have the occassional day of for school closings.

If you can afford the summer without income I would highly recommend it!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Parent and Provider

I taught for 11 years. Many of my parents are teachers. I charge monthly. In the summer, they pay half rate to hold their spot for the upcoming school year. NON-REFUNDABLE if they don't come for any reason, including change in work schedule (part time teachers) that doesn't fit with my schedule. I'm closed Christmas and Spring breaks and don't charge for those. But, I calculate my yearly rate (weekly rate time 49) and then divide by 12 so they pay the same each month, even December!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I have all teachers as well, and have for 3 yrs. now. It is so wonderful in the summer, only having my children. It's something to look forward throughout the yr. I do hold their spots over the summer - 2 week deposit, and it only goes to hold their spot, and it's nonrefundable! I charge 1/2 their weekly rate for winter and Spring breaks. I am closed on snow days, etc..... I also receive paid HOlidays and vac. days
Old 10-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

My situation is a little different, but...

For the past three years, I have done SA care. I don't charge teachers for holidays, days off, or the summer. I put aside money weekly throughout the school year so that I'd still have a steady "flow" of income during the summer. It worked out very well.

Now, if only I had some SA's this year!!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Preschool Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Does anyone cater to just teacher families only?

I'm a former teacher and in my dream world I would love to have just teacher families and have the summers off with my own two kids.

If you do, how do you do it?
How do you advertise specifically to teachers? Have schools allowed you to advertise?
Do you charge for summers, winter and spring break, school closings, etc.?
Any other tips?
most of my parents are teachers. In the past I gave them breaks.....no charge for summer, and 1/2 for fall, christmas and spring breaks. I found this was totally unfair to my full year parents. I made a new contract that was the same for everyone. If ANYONE takes up to 2.5 months off, they will pay 1/2 price to save the spot...non refundable. All parents pay during fall, spring and christmas breaks. I take 2 vacations 1 during the summer and 1 at Christmas. Christmas is a paid vacation and summer is not. Every parent gets 5 days off....they do not pay for 5 days that they keep their child out. I find this to be fair to everyone.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:04 PM
New Daycare.comMember

I do have a lot of teacher's kids but it I would be sure to have a contract where it is crystal clear what they are expected to pay for. I live in Minnesota and we had a lot of snow days last year, early outs, and late starts. For some reason they didn't think they should be charged for those missing hours even though its in my policies. I don't charge to hold a spot for the summer, I have other families that fill that in.

If you specifically want teacher's children, advertise in the teacher's break room at your local schools.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default teachers kiddos

I have finally built my program to teachers, school staff, or college students. I do not charge for summer. I feel that I can replace their space for summer w/ a summer school age. My biggest mistake was starting out charging a daily rate. I really do love it though! I have 1 dcf that is subsidized, mom goes to school, so it keeps my certification current.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Licensed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bice99 View Post
I taught for 11 years. Many of my parents are teachers. I charge monthly. In the summer, they pay half rate to hold their spot for the upcoming school year. NON-REFUNDABLE if they don't come for any reason, including change in work schedule (part time teachers) that doesn't fit with my schedule. I'm closed Christmas and Spring breaks and don't charge for those. But, I calculate my yearly rate (weekly rate time 49) and then divide by 12 so they pay the same each month, even December!
I am a little confused. If you charge the same in december then aren't they paying for christmas break then??
Old 10-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Parent and Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
I am a little confused. If you charge the same in december then aren't they paying for christmas break then??
Nope - because instead of figuring my annual tuition based on 52 weeks, I base it on 49. Actually, I get a week of paid vacation at Christmas (I wrote it into my handbook/contract that way), so their tuition is based on 50 weeks of care.

Tags
rates appropriate families, teacher - schedule, teacher's children, teachers