Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For All You Wacky "Baby-Wearing" Providers/Moms.....
Cat Herder 08:22 AM 02-01-2011
I admit I was wrong. My DH says mark it on the calendar as it will not happen often...

New baby came today with a sashy-thingy....my first reaction was "in your dreams!!, these rough boys will be head butting her in NO TIME!!!"

Well, when no-one was looking, I caved and gave it a try. I love it.

This little warm bundle has babbled, hiccuped and cooed all day. Not once have I heard a cry/wimper/moan...she starts squirming when she is dirty and rooting when she is hungry. Has not spit up once. It has been such a fun morning.... ALMOST makes me want another baby.... Dh just had chest pain and does not know why...

Now, I wont be doing this for too long as I will have to put all the gates back up (the ones with doors are not in my budget) and since my name is not "GRACE" for a reason, I am petrified of getting "too comfortable" and falling on her one day.

I just wanted to give you ladies a nod from a die hard... "NOT IN YOUR LIFETIME" kinda gal. This thing is pretty cool.... It would have been nice to have had it with mine
JenNJ 08:30 AM 02-01-2011
I found it amazing with my daughter. I was just starting my daycare and bc of that thing I was able to work just 3 weeks after my c-section. I love, love, love it. It just is NOT the same when it isnt your kid though. I use them for my itty bitties when I have the kids out in the yard. I can RUN after them and not worry about what is going on with the baby.
Little People 08:57 AM 02-01-2011
Can someone post a picture of these things? And maybe explain a little more on them?
MG&Lsmom 08:59 AM 02-01-2011
from one of the wacky ones

Not to turn your post dark, but did mom show you how to properly wear the "sashy thing" and how to position baby? Here's a YouTube vid on labored breathing. Baby's chin should never ever be touching their chest in any baby holding apparatus including swings and carseats and should never sound like this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVWcj...layer_embedded
Cat Herder 09:50 AM 02-01-2011
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
from one of the wacky ones

Not to turn your post dark, but did mom show you how to properly wear the "sashy thing" and how to position baby? Here's a YouTube vid on labored breathing. Baby's chin should never ever be touching their chest in any baby holding apparatus including swings and carseats and should never sound like this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVWcj...layer_embedded

No, she included the book, she rocks and knew I was skeptical... I am also a "Healthcare Provider" in my second profession and LOVE that you posted that info. (btw, My Mom called me a "wacky" Mom back in the day because I decided to breastfeed. "It is just so gross!!" My description is toungue in cheek )

Thank you. Great video...
SandeeAR 10:04 AM 02-01-2011
Each previous generation thinks the current one is "wacky" for one reason or another. My Mom thought I was "wacky" too for breastfeeding.

However, if you will look at it, both of these things were done in previous generations b/c of the need...."breastfeeding" , bottles weren't invented! It was the natural way!......."baby wearing", the indians did it and so did the pioneers, b/c they had to, to be able to work and take care of the baby!
kendallina 10:13 AM 02-01-2011
Yay! I loved wearing my daughter as it was the only way that she was happy. Glad you found it to work for you!!!
Lucy 11:27 AM 02-01-2011
But once she gets used to it, will she scream when you don't do it anymore?
SilverSabre25 11:42 AM 02-01-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
But once she gets used to it, will she scream when you don't do it anymore?
Not if she's either ready to not need it anymore, or weaned slowly off of it, just like you do anything else.

eta: and she's probably already used to it.
Missani 11:51 AM 02-01-2011
Yay for posting the safety information! I did enjoy wearing my son sometimes (my other son HATED it at 2 weeks old and STILL hates to be "confined" at almost 2 years old. Silly boy! I never did enjoy wearing him and I kind of missed it.) I do worry that they are okay in there and it is necessary to make sure you have a safe "sashy thing" as so many have been recalled. It can be great, but I agree that it's not the same if it's not your own child. It is always nice to snuggle a baby, though. (oohh, makes me want one SOOOO BADDD!!!)
Missani 11:52 AM 02-01-2011
Forgot to mention, Catherder, that I love your post! Very cute!
Childminder 11:55 AM 02-01-2011
Had a child from a different culture where they wore their children ALL the time. He was 11 months when I got him and still wanted to be sashed to me. Unh unh. No. Too old (me and him) and I had another infant at the time. I'm all for the nurturing of touch but I ain't papoosing a child to me while I try taking care of 6 kids under three.
Cat Herder 12:10 PM 02-01-2011
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I'm all for the nurturing of touch but I ain't papoosing a child to me while I try taking care of 6 kids under three.
This one is only 6 weeks, today is her first day, and I have no intention of wearing her for long periods . I am a "no long term restraint" kind of provider.

Her Mom only uses it when she is out shopping etc...she thought it would help me during outside time with the biggers while it is still cold and she is tiny.

I am just thinking of this adding this to her daily rotation for about 15-20 minutes right after I feed her each time for a while. I talk and visit with her while she is in there. Once she falls asleep, I lay her down immediately.

She still has belly time, floor/gym time, stretching/massage time and sleeps in her crib ONLY.
Crystal 12:16 PM 02-01-2011
Cool! I think attachment parenting (or caregiving) is a wonderful way to bond with a child, and I think it's awesome that you were open-minded enough to give it a shot! Very sweet
littlemonkeys 12:29 PM 02-01-2011
I am one of those wacky baby-wearing moms!!

I have a quad stroller and go on frequent stroller walks... one dcb hates to go on walks so I put him in a Moby wrap and he falls right to sleep. No whimpering at all! I think they are great!
broncomom1973 12:31 PM 02-01-2011
I bought a sling (no, more like 4 slings) after the birth of my second dd. I loved them. Dh even wore one of them when no one was around, lol. I bought the New Native sling and then bought 2 pouch slings, and a ring sling. I bought another New Native sling when ds was born, but ds did not enjoy the sling as much as his sister. I am trying to convince my sister who will be having a baby in about 2-1/2 weeks that these things really are wonderful for being able to get things done with 2 hands while also being able to hold baby. I pulled my slings out more than once at the grocery store and Walmart too when my babies got fussy while shopping. They really are great!
kendallina 12:41 PM 02-01-2011
Here's my hubby wearing DD at the zoo...
Attached: dsc03435dc.jpg (133.1 KB) 
SunflowerMama 12:45 PM 02-01-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I love it!!
MG&Lsmom 06:07 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Fantastic!

As for getting too used to it, some do, and some don't. When they are super little I let them nap in a carrier if we were on the move. But I always put a sleeping baby down, even my own.

You don't even want to know how many carriers I have or have once owned <bag over head> But I much prefer to be able to back carry once baby has head control.

Someone asked where to get these things. Mostly online. There are some brick & mortar stores around. Babiesrus is carrying some things that aren't actually that safe or comfortable (my $.02).

Some pics

Family minigolf, DS asleep on DH's back about 6mo

DS asleep again on my back about 4mo

Tags:baby carrier
Reply Up