Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This Weird?
Ariana 01:32 PM 08-23-2017
I put an ad up and got contacted by a woman looking for my infant space. She wants to meet. I ask her if Saturday works, she says no she has a birthday to attend. Ok I guess it is an all day birthday I ask her if next Tuesday works and she says "yes, how about 10am"? and I say ok "see you then" and she comes back with "I will let you know if anything changes".

Right away I am like are you looking for care or not dude?
LysesKids 03:32 PM 08-23-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I put an ad up and got contacted by a woman looking for my infant space. She wants to meet. I ask her if Saturday works, she says no she has a birthday to attend. Ok I guess it is an all day birthday I ask her if next Tuesday works and she says "yes, how about 10am"? and I say ok "see you then" and she comes back with "I will let you know if anything changes".

Yeah, it's why I have 3 set days and set a 2 hrs time frame for interviewing & even then it's after daycare hrs (Tue, Wed & Thu)... I tried to offer a few families a concession of Saturdays for interviews 2 years ago, but it back fired on me... I now refuse to give up my only baby free time to interview on weekends (especially since I won't work those hrs). If a daycare center doesn't interview on the weekends, why should I have to
finsup 04:51 PM 08-23-2017

It's a red flag for me. The only time a family like that ever "worked out" is because I ignored the red flag, rescheduled a ton and allowed it because they were friends. And I say "worked out" in quotes because this was my self absorbed family and well, you know what fun they have been I'd probably do the interview but proceed with caution, unless she tries to reschedule and at that point it would most likely be "the spot has been filled."
But on the not so jaded side of things, maybe she's just trying to be polite? Or just says that whenever she's making plans? One can hope, right!
Jupadia 06:44 PM 08-23-2017
I've had calls like that for infant spots it uselly a mom who still has 6+ months left of mat leave. I even had one who canceled cause she in recovery at the hospital from having baby a week early and was actually looking for care the next year when mom returned to work.
MyAngels 08:20 PM 08-23-2017
It's possible she has other interviews scheduled between now and then, and would cancel if she finds a good fit before she interviews with you, hence the comment about if anything changes.
Unregistered 08:25 PM 08-23-2017
Or if the baby happens to go down for a nap right before interview time then they will cancel or want to delay interview for an hour or two. therefore wasting your entire Saturday.. Have had that happen more than once. The world revolves around their schedule.
Ariana 09:28 AM 08-24-2017
Ok glad I am not the only one who sees this as a potential red flag! She chose the time so I was confused about the whole thing.

I might write her and tell her the spot has been taken hate parents who think they are Gods gift to daycare providers. No wait, let me just sit here at the edge of my seat while you make a decision
Ariana 04:26 PM 08-29-2017
Wrote her today to confirm our meeting. She replies "oh gosh thanks for reminding me, see you tomorrow"!!!

Redflags girls and boys! Will update on how she came late without apologies
daycarediva 06:44 PM 08-29-2017
I have had sooooo many no call no shows or last minute cancellations recently. SO FRUSTRATING.

I would just cancel.

"Just letting you know that a family who interviewed SATURDAY took the space."
Unregistered 04:41 AM 08-30-2017
Huh.
I almost always say a similar line about letting people know if anything changes. I just mean it as a pleasantry, letting them know I *won't* just stand them up.
SunflowerMeadow 07:58 AM 08-30-2017
How'd it go?
Ariana 10:34 AM 08-30-2017
She contacted me to say she would be late....I expected it so I lied and said I had another appointment at 1pm so if she couldn't make it I would have to cancel.

She showed up right on time
Ariana 10:36 AM 08-30-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Huh.
I almost always say a similar line about letting people know if anything changes. I just mean it as a pleasantry, letting them know I *won't* just stand them up.
To me this shows a character of repeatedly not being able to get somewhere on time. I would much rather you contact me to let me know you will be late when you actually might be late. To me preemptively letting me know you won't be on time is a red flag and almost ALWAYS that person ends up being an issue.
SunflowerMeadow 09:38 PM 08-31-2017
Pretty much!
Mom2Two 02:29 PM 09-02-2017
To me this shows a character of repeatedly not being able to get somewhere on time. I would much rather you contact me to let me know you will be late when you actually might be late. To me preemptively letting me know you won't be on time is a red flag and almost ALWAYS that person ends up being an issue.
Sounds like someone who doesn't mind imposing on others. Sure, you've got nothing better to do than sit around waiting to see if she shows up.
Tags:red flag
Reply Up